Author Topic: Diary > Friday 26th June  (Read 926 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Friday 26th June
« on: Friday 26 June 20 23:31 BST (UK) »
Here I am with my rather boring account of today (sorry!), hope others have had a more interesting time.

Woke up quite early, the house wasn't as hot as yesterday. Shower and hairwash before tea fix! Ready in plenty of time for art class Zoom meeting. Very hungry afterards so had lunch a bit earlier, I only eat breakfast when I'm on holiday. A couple of jobs around the house then off for walk.

A lot of cloud today but really warm. Remains of a bonfire in a hollow just inside the woods, that would account for all the twigs littering the path. Plastic bottles, cans and chocolate bar wrappers in the woods, am guessing it's been young teenagers. What looked like a pair of underpants at the side of the path! Ugh!! I hope the stinging nettles got them in a delicate place.

Hung some washing out, the ironing is piling up but it's too warm to do it at the moment. Not sure where the afternoon went, got my chair out in the garden, started reading then a big cloud came over. I wanted to rearrange the trellises on the fence and plant my new clematis but put off by NN lurking around. 

Phoned a friend, long chat. The sun came out about 4pm so reverted to plan A. Peaceful in the garden. Usual evening, some rain finally arrived about 9pm but soon went. Not a productive day but who cares?!!
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Friday 26th June
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 June 20 00:41 BST (UK) »
Mines no more interesting than yours really... think we're all suffering from the same fatigue!

Don't you just love these people that are all out for their own enjoyment without a care of how it impacts on others!

Considering how warm it was last night I slept quite well... woke a few times to either throw off the covers or drag them up... OH had the fan but not too bothered...
Breakfast as usual... temp at 9.30am already up to 20C..
For some reason no sound in tv in the lounge OH getting frustrated trying to work out why... in the end turn it all off unplug and start again... hurray it's now working... bit of peace.
Put some washing on... don't know why I wash everything in sight when the weathers good because it's only going to need ironing....
We had an early game of scrabble in the dining room as it's at the front of the house and cool in the morning... I won by the skin of my teeth so now I'm only two games down 🙂
Lunch time by now... watched the news
Can't believe how hot it is outside 30C by now washing drying almost as it was put in the line... came inside super quick ...
Thought I'd make up face coverings for daughter, SiL and boys... they chose hedgehog fabric! New elastic and overlock thread arrived so that was good... finished them off had quick FT with daughter who looked decidedly hot and bothered... caught her in the middle of washing all her veg box delivery and she'd also got her Tesco delivery coming within next half hour!
Boys busy filling paddling pool with the hose... or spraying  each other and watering the garden! Used last lot to water the garden and someone ( youngest grandson) got over exuberant with a metal watering can and new pool had tear in now repaired by daughter.... he proudly showed me which watering can he'd used.... so I mentioned perhaps use plastic one next time!
OH busy doing jigsaw scene if Coniston in 1960's... youngest interested in cars in the street scene so great conversation about that!
Decided we'd have quiche and salad using rest of cooked gammon joint... had to make my own pastry as no bought pre rolled in the freezer... if I say so myself it turned out ok... not my forte pastry!
Cooked beetroot we picked this morning ready to bottle in vinegar ... why would you do that it's just so acidic... I like that earthy taste of just cooked or roasted..... not to my O.H's taste though.
Late dinner sat outside and it was cooler and quiet... no motorbikes.... just blissful, love that time of the day...
Vegs watered inside watched Gardeners world last episode of das Boat then off to bed ... don't know what's happened to the rain but it's still very warm and not a drop to be seen...
Hope it's cooler tomorrow.. going to join Zoom Yogalates at 10.30am then need to get in the garden.
Hope you've all enjoyed your day...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 June 20 11:42 BST (UK) »
Not been posting much on the diary threads, been tired, stress and distracted,

Finished for annual leave on Wednesday night and very lazy on Thursday, read sitting in the garden for a bit instead of housework.  Younger daughter and I also worked on programming the computer we'd built earlier in the week.   Spectacular thunder storms at night and a couple of houses were hit, luckily no one hurt.

Rained most of Friday got a little more housework done but mostly playing a bit with the we one, watched a film and managed to write more of the family tree up.  Also found the apprenticeship indenture which had been elusive so a bit of success.

Day finished with bad news when I found out the police officer stabbed in Glasgow was a childhood friend so waiting for an update and hoping it is good news.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 June 20 11:48 BST (UK) »
And my day wouldn't have been more interesting but for the painters, and the party in the park!

Roobarb you mention the mess inconsiderate people leave around after their meetings.... I was staggered how many groups of teenagers there were milling around in the park on Friday evening, none of them distancing and some quite rowdy.  Police came to try and achieve dispersal, but they didn't take any notice.  Two large groups of "girls" (perhaps 16 to 18 in age,) actually had a physical fight, which is not uncommon around Devon these days I was told by my granddaughter.  Happily she is not allowed to roam around aimlessly.

Diary:
It had been rather a hot and sticky night so I wasn't up with the birds this morning and unusually H woke me though he was trying to be quiet. 
We needed to get the grocery shopping out of the way and wanted to be early to avoid a queue, but still it was somewhat busier than I would have liked.  Being a Friday I suppose it was bound to be busy. Shall revert to Thursday next week.
My new bank card which might work as "contactless" arrived yesterday, so I have activated it, and drew out some extra cash as my oldest granddaughter will turn 17 very shortly, and will be wanting financial aid with driving lessons!  How time flies!  Shall be feeling grateful to see that day, as it will also be the first anniversary of my heart attack, and a good reason for a double celebration.
Step-son phoned from overseas to offer birthday greetings and update us.  It is always good to hear from our "boys" and to score all 4 in the space of 36 hours is a bonus.

The painters are nearing the end of the external works and have cleared up many of the issues, so hopefully the residents are feeling more satisfied.

A walk after lunch to the end of Goodrington beach and back, then stumbled into a resident's  conference at the top of the cliff walk, discussing the condition of the works done so far.  The bill will be over £12,000 so we want to be sure we are getting fair value for that, and it appears satisfaction levels are low. I suggested any complaints be addressed by email direct to the Agents.  :-X

Walked down to the pharmacy to pick up next month's meds while H was doing an on-line tutoring session.  The queue was being dealt with very swiftly though no-one gained entry into the shop.  I had a query, so I thought I would try to get attention in the surgery adjoining, however, despite the most efficient screening system I have seen anywhere so far, the doorway is blocked by a large notice board insisting that ALL queries and appointments must be made by phone.

At 4:30 a text arrived from number one son to meet them on the beach in one hour!  Washed the cherries I bought, and sliced the bread to minimise handling, then walked down to the beach. Waited there for half an hour before texting to check which beach!  They were in the park alongside the beach! Had a lovely chat, and BBQ picnic, including a homemade cake with a candle, and singing.  Managed to avoid being marauded by seagulls.  My son and the girls had their skateboards and had a few races around the park, and DiL tried her luck with her metal detector.  I was encouraged by oldest granddaughter to have a go on her skateboard.  I managed to travel a short way without falling off!  They stayed till about 9:30, and then had to go with no hugging which felt SO wrong.  Shortly after getting back into the flat the rain started, and I felt very fortunate it held off till then.

By midnight when I finshed the book I have been reading, (Philippa Gregory; The Kingmaker's Daughter,) the wind was howling and the rain very heavy.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 June 20 12:00 BST (UK) »
Annual Leave is about rest and recuperation Pharma, so I think it is a very good thing you have taken a couple of days to wind down before starting another onslaught upon the household chores, and I would suggest that quality time with your children is at least as important as housework.

I was shocked and horrified by the news from Glasgow, but SO MUCH worse to know one of the individuals involved.  Best wishes to all those suffering from this terrible incident.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 June 20 15:50 BST (UK) »
Oh Pharma so sorry to hear you're a friend of the policeman in Glasgow... such a terrible thing to happen, especially when it appears some warnings had been given to the perpetrators state of mind....
Hope you enjoy your time off especially to spend with your girls, they soon grow up so nice to have some special time with them.

Mowsehowse- so pleased to hear you were able to get together with your family and enjoy time with them...
well done for having a go on your granddaughters skateboard.... not going to tell my grandson or he'll be getting me to have a go on his 😬😬
How lucky that the rain held off for you too...
As you say it's so odd not to be able to give them a hug very unreal...
It's unbelievable how these youngsters around the country are behaving they don't seem to have any respect for anyone or anything... it's very worrying as to how life will go on when they're all grown up and supposedly taking responsibility!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 June 20 00:33 BST (UK) »
Caroline - these things with an electrical plug on the end are so frustrating now that they're all so high tech. At work when I had computer problems I would ring I.T. and they would ask if I'd rebooted. The first time they said that I didn't have a clue what they were on about but quickly came to realise I should just turn it off and back on again. So  I always opt for the unplug option!
(I love pickled beetroot!  :D)

PharmaT, I agree with the others that having some time off amd doing things you enjoy or just relaxing is a good thing. And building a computer! What amazing people you and your daughter are. Very sorry to hear about your police officer friend, I hope you've now had some better news.

Mowsehowse, sounds like you've been having a ball! Great stuff, well done with your skateboarding exploits! Go on Caroline, you know you want to  ;D
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 June 20 01:21 BST (UK) »
Roobarb - I have trouble balancing sometimes when I doing Yogalates so heavens knows how I'd manage in a skateboard... think I'll just admire them from afar...😁

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 June 20 09:11 BST (UK) »
Ah Caroline, I am very much afraid our own parents used to worry in the same way.  However, I can confirm I have read a packet of letters written to her parents by my mother when she was 20, and she was easily as egocentric as I had been at that age, if not more so!

I wonder if, for many, it is having children of our own that causes us to mature, consider the ramifications of our actions, and think of others first?

Obviously that is a huge generalisation; no doubt there are many childless adults who are deeply caring individuals, (such as teachers and nurses/doctors,) who will have entered their professions precisely because they have high levels of emotional intelligence.

I knew a woman in her 80s who had never had any children, and she was wonderfully self centered till the last.

When H was teaching at a secondary school in Dorset he discovered the word "solipsistic", which seems perfect to describe the entire teenage "condition".  'Twas ever thus I suspect.  :-\

BTW, I didn't get very far on the skateboard, just had a little go to show willing.  ;)