Author Topic: 1891 Census Look Help Please - Rosina Young Possibly North Bradley  (Read 886 times)

Offline youngjayne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Always searching!
    • View Profile
1891 Census Look Help Please - Rosina Young Possibly North Bradley
« on: Sunday 28 June 20 14:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm struggling to find a Rosina Young (maiden name Holland) Born 1863 North Bradley, Wiltshire on the 1891 Census and any help would be appreciated.

I have found her on all census barr 1891, but there is obviously a bit of a mystery as she married a Daniel Young in 1881 inNorth Bradley, but he doesn't appear on 1901/1911 census with her, although she describes herself as married.  She died in 1930 and probate index notes she is wife of Daniel Young.

However my suspicions are that Daniel moved to the Cardiff area and married again in 1893, so I really need to find her in 1891 to see if her husband appears with her, to prove/disprove my suspicions.

She is to be found at The Rank, North Bradley in 1871/1881/1901/1911 and same address for probate index.

Thank you

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 Census Look Help Please - Rosina Young Possibly North Bradley
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 June 20 19:37 BST (UK) »
No children with her in 1901 but she doesn't want to be found in 1891.  I've tried Wales & Scotland as well
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 June 20 20:47 BST (UK) »
Hi
No luck finding her in 1891, i guess you have the Daniel Young in 1891 in Wales born North Bradley and down as single.
There is a small piece in the Devizes and Wiltshire Gazette 10 July 1884 about Daniel Young of North Bradley in court for assaulting and threatening his wife Rosina Young.
So perhaps not a happy marriage although in a short newspaper piece in 1900 there was Rosina Young, a married woman of North Bradley in court accusing a man (not Daniel) of assault.Available in British Newspaper archives or if you have a sub, Findmypast.
Could Rosina have been in an institution, sometimes entered only under her initials.
No mentions of possible bigamy of Daniel found.

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline youngjayne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Always searching!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 June 20 23:32 BST (UK) »
Cath,

That is so helpful, and interesting, I will have a look at the articles in the newspaper.

Yes I have Daniel on the census in Wales in 1891 and later census as well.  He's my husbands Great grandfather and married in 1893 a Mary Ellen Raines in Cardiff, they went on to have 12 children.  Until yesterday I had no suspicion about him as he described himself on his marriage certificate in 1893 as a bachelor.  I know the information on Daniel and Mary Ellen is correct as I was given all the names by one of their daughters from the family bible.

However, yesterday whilst searching for someone else in North Bradley by accident I turned up the parish register entry for a Marriage of a Daniel Young to Rosina Holland who was the same age and had the same fathers name as our Daniel, and my interest was piqued! 

As you say the marriage sounds a little turbulent, but who was the real guilty party Daniel or Rosina! and obviously gives a good reason for Daniel to move to Cardiff.  Your idea about an institution certainly sounds feasible, will have a look at that.

Again, can't thank you enough for the clues you given.

Jayne

Offline youngjayne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Always searching!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 June 20 17:04 BST (UK) »
Cathy,

I looked at newspapers and actually found 2 other articles, one of which had other family members mentioned in it, and so proves that it is the same Daniel, and that he was a naughty boy and did marry twice, while his 1st wife was still living.

The other was an advertisement for the sale of Rosina Youngs (1st wife) property after her death, it seems she owned four properties in North Bradley, so there must be another story there to find!
Not bad for a weaver/glove maker.

Thanks again for your help and thanks also to CaroleW for looking for me.

Jayne