Author Topic: Has anyone used a car wash?  (Read 1454 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone used a car wash?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 July 20 07:26 BST (UK) »
Gadjet, I was meaning the powerful machines and flailing “ tassels” can do a lot of damage ,especially when my darling ,sainted OH had not checked the rear side window was fully closed !   >:(.    (  ;D ;D ;D ;D)
I did not think of the virus at all!.
Viktoria.

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 July 20 08:23 BST (UK) »
I've been through carwashes - wonderful!!     ;D  I bet ours are similar to yours so . . .    8) 8)
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 July 20 09:27 BST (UK) »
I have used one of those hand/jet wash places. Even in normal times they are practising social distancing.   

Now they wear facemasks and faceshields. They wear their normal rubberised suits. All directions are given by hand signals. Even paying is done through a barrier. 

I have a pacemaker and my wife has severe asthma - I would not have used a service if I did not think it was as safe as it could have been. 

Regards 

Chas

Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 July 20 11:53 BST (UK) »
https://forecourttrader.co.uk/news/green-light-for-automatic-car-washes-but-hcw-outlawed/644821.article

There is no evidence that coronavirus is transmitted by water, so car washes should be ok, theoretically.

In practice, who knows? You have to make some judgements by yourself. I'd have more confidence in a car wash being safe than a pub!

It certainly wouldn't have crossed my mind that there would be any risk involved, but there again, we don't use the automatic car washes anyway, in normal times.

However, I am finding it increasingly difficult to fully take in all the different studies, news reports etc, my mind seems to have turned to jelly over the past few months. I need something to catch my attention that isn't C-19 related.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Familysearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 July 20 18:17 BST (UK) »
I've hardly used my car for three months - it does live in a garage, though.

I shall wait until the nice young men are back at the Tesco car wash. (I retired from car washing some time ago!!)

FS

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 02 July 20 18:59 BST (UK) »
We wash our our own generally as I'm afraid of those automatic machines ( went in once as a passenger and vowed never again - way too noisy )
Husband has occasionally taken it to a hand wash place and I went on one occasion and it was very pleasant and very thorough and £4.99. I'd go there gain if we had to, even with covid.
I wouldn't have thought about if the machine ones were safe due to the water mind you.
North East of England

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 02 July 20 19:54 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering just how likely it is a car wash is able to harbour and then pass on the Covid-19 virus and then how likely, if it did do so, it would be able to infect the person in the car?.
I use the waterless wash and wax cleaner at home and I find it's excellent because it really does work and it's a good cardio workout.
 :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 02 July 20 21:04 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering just how likely it is a car wash is able to harbour and then pass on the Covid-19 virus and then how likely, if it did do so, it would be able to infect the person in the car?.

Having thought about it overnight, the only possible risk I could see is if it was the type of car wash where you have to enter a PIN on a number pad or insert a token in order to start the wash cycle.

Any imaginable scenario involving water or gaps in windows seems too far-fetched to be a real concern.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 02 July 20 22:08 BST (UK) »
Nick - the PIN scenario is a good thought.  I never go out without disposable gloves & sanitiser so would be ok but others may not.  I notice that supermarkets etc sanitise the credit card keypads after purchases that are not contactless
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)