Author Topic: Mrs Davidson - Aberdeen 1917, 1918  (Read 854 times)

Offline smclaren

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mrs Davidson - Aberdeen 1917, 1918
« on: Monday 06 July 20 09:58 BST (UK) »
Good evening Everyone,

I am currently transcribing (& researching) my Grandfathers (George McLaren) WW1 diaries. I am hoping that someone from the group can help me progress that research a little further, as I have hit a roadblock in Aberdeen !

George was a New Zealander and the son of Scottish immigrants to the Dunedin area of the South Island.

Whilst his father (Alexander McLaren) was from the Glasgow area (I think), his mother Isabella (my great grandmother) was a Hardie from the Aberdeen area. Isabella's mother's maiden name was Pirie.

Whilst George was on leave from the horrors of the Western Front in 1917 & 1918 he would travel up to Aberdeen to visit people, which was clearly pre-arranged and hence high probably a family connection ... but it's driving me crazy trying to confirm this.

The key person he would see up in Aberdeen was a Mrs Davidson. George doesn't state or give any background to the relationship to Mrs Davidson, but I'm convinced that she would be kin ... and I am now trying to connect the dots of how she (we) are related, and also try & connect with her descendants.

The major clue in the diary that Mrs Davidson was in fact a relative was a diary note where George states on a visit to Mrs Davidson in Aberdeen on the 1st of February 1918 that ... "We went in the evening to some distant relatives called Pirrie (sic), two sisters." So that confirms a connection with my Great Grandmother's family (somehow).

The only other scrap of info I have is Mrs Davidson's address in Aberdeen and the names of what I think is her children ... "Left Bonnie Aberdeen this morning at 12.40 midday. Mrs Davidson & Meeta & Sydney came to the train to see me off".

The address written in the diary refers to a W. Davidson Esquire ... so clearly Mrs Davidsons husband.

Based on the address and the children's names, I have tracked down that the son of Mrs Davidson "Sydney" was in fact, Dr Sydney Gordon Davidson (1900 - 1980). Further research have shown me that Dr Davidson had a wife (Gertrude) and 3 daughters and 1 son, who was also a General Practitioner.

So I am on the hunt now for the younger Dr Davidson (or his sisters, or descendants) from Aberdeen who's father was Dr Dr Sydney Gordon Davidson (1900 - 1980). I am really really really hoping someone from the group can help make THIS connection ?

I really hope that someone my help me "kick this can down the road" a little .. and thanks for reading my story.

Best regards
Steve

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mrs Davidson - Aberdeen 1917, 1918
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 July 20 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to rootschat I don't know if you have the Davidson family on the 1901 census
Address Gratton Place Rosebank Fraserburgh
William G Davidson age 35 born Fraserburgh occupation fish curer
Mary Davidson age 28 born Fraserburgh
Sydney G Davidson age 7 months born Fraserburgh

William Gordon Davidson born 19 January 1866 Fraserburgh
Father George Davidson
Mother Christian Pirie  ....
So connection to the Pirie family on William Gordon Davidson side

Rosie

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 July 20 12:21 BST (UK) »
If you have access to Ancestry there are several trees with information on Sydney Gordon Davidson

Rosie

Added there is also a photo of the family grave

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 July 20 12:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve, and welcome to RootsChat.

We need to be a bit careful with this because we're not allowed to post details of anyone who may still be living.

Sydney Gordon Davidson, mother's maiden surname Cruickshank, died in Aberdeen in 1980 aged 79. This matches the birth of Sydney Gordon Davidson in Fraserburgh in 1900.

The 1901 census (a transcription) lists at Rosebank, Grattan Place, Fraserburgh William Davidson, 25, fish curer; wife Mary, 28 and son Sydney G, under 1 year, all born in Fraserburgh. The index at Scotland's People shows Sydney Gordon Davidson, 10, in Aberdeen St Machar. William Gordon Cruickshank married Mary Cruickshank in Aberdeen in 1899.

Mary Jane Cruickshank, other surname Davidson, aged 81, died in Aberdeen in 1951.

Sydney Gordon Davidson married Gertrude Chesso* McDonald in Aberdeen in 1932. Gertrude Chesso* McDonald, other surname Davidson, died in Aberdeen in 1996 aged 93, mother's maiden surname Milne.

There are 22 deaths of Davidsons with mother's surname McDonald and birth date 1940 plus or minus 10 years. Of these, 7 are in Aberdeenshire. This matches a birth of Gertrude Chesso* McDonald in Fraserburgh in 1902. The index to the 1911 census shows Gertrude C McDonald, aged 8, in Fraserburgh. On the same page are Beatrice D, 7; Gowon [sic index] M, 5; and Robert W, 2. On the previous page are John McDonald, 56; Emily, 41; Edith M, 15; Dorothy, 12; Florence, 11 and Alexander, 9. In 1901 (transcription) there are John McDonald, 45; wife Emily, 32; William L, 17; Isabella G, 16; Maggie G, 15; Anne W, 14; John, 13; Edith M, 5; Dorothy, 2; Florence, 1. John McDonald married Emily Milne in Aberdeen in 1893, so it looks as if he was a widower then.

Emily Milne McDonald, 99, died in Rosehearty in 1968.

What you need to do is go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, buy some credits, and use them to look at the originals of some or all of these births, deaths, marriages and census. (You won't be able to view births after 1919, marriages after 1944 and deaths after 1969 because those are not available online.)

Then come back to us and tell us the names of the parents of William Davidson, Mary Cruickshank, John McDonald and Emily Milne and we'll see where to go from there. 
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 July 20 12:47 BST (UK) »
There's a marriage of a William Hardie to Isabella Pirie in Cruden in 1889.

When was George McLaren born? Where and when were his parents married?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 July 20 14:01 BST (UK) »
Probate for William Gordon Davidson fish curer and exporter of 53,Fountain hall Road Aberdeen
24/7/1935 ..Confirmation 30 September Aberdeen to Sidney Gordon Davidson F.R .C.S his son and William Cruickshank chemist Fraserburgh

There is also this probate for Mary Cruickshank or Davidson of Seatown Cullen widow died 5 February 1964 at London ..Confirmation of Sydney Gordon Davidson Surgeon and Robert Clegg Stewart retired local tax officer

Mary died at Essex England her daughter Margaret Cruickshank Davidson  born 1902 Fraserburgh
Died 1999 at Croyden London

Rosie

Offline smclaren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 13:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, Rosie & Forfarian.

I really appreciate your help ... it has allowed me to move forward with my research.

All the best.

Steve

Offline smclaren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 July 20 12:56 BST (UK) »
Hi again Forfarian

How do I find the names of the children of Sydney Gordon Davidson ?

I would appreciate it if you could assist me in how to find them.

Thanks again

Steve

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 July 20 13:36 BST (UK) »
How do I find the names of the children of Sydney Gordon Davidson ?
Normally, you would go (or get someone to go on your behalf) to the Scotland's People Centre or one of the local archives with access to the SP database and search the birth indexes using the mother's maiden surname. You can't do this online because they are less than 100 years ago.

At the moment, of course, the SP Centre and archives are closed, so you will have to wait until they reopen.