Author Topic: Post viral effects  (Read 37568 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Post viral effects
« Reply #36 on: Friday 04 December 20 16:54 GMT (UK) »
My haematologist decided some time ago to test my vitamin d levels and I was surprised to discover that, although I eat a good balanced diet and am outdoors a lot when the weather is favourable, my levels were very low. So since then I have taken a supplement.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 04 December 20 16:58 GMT (UK) »
There's a special offer on of Vit D tablets (1 = daily requirement)

PS - I've taken a real liking to Scandinavian style pickled/soused, herring which are a change from salmon
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 04 December 20 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Vitamin D and that vitamin helps the body absorb Calcium for bones and teeth.
But it also aids the immune system, especially for respiratory diseases.

I forgot to mention that - funny because I've got COPD lol
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 05 December 20 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thank you very much Rena, Josey, Jen & Gadget about Vitamin D.

Sorry to hear you have COPD Rena.

Some Scientists believe Vitamin D is good for repairing damaged nerves.

Fortunately we have had a good diet for many years.

One of the days each week is Salmon, with boiled potables and freshly cooked veg.
Another day we have Fish with home-made chips cooked in Frylight spray and peas.
Today is Brunch with eggs which seem to be good.
One day is homemade beefburgers made from Lean mince.
All other days, a Red meat (a joint we make it last two days) with potatoes and several freshly cooked veg.
 ----------
NICE are currently working on a set of Guidance for UK GPs on how to treat Post-covid Syndrome.

In the Summer I had an insect bite in the garden and after 48 hrs my legs and arms were red and was prescribed Penicillin to take as a last resort, which I did and rash came back more and itching increased.

The Surgeon feels my body rash, iching and stinging is the after effect of Covid.

It seems my body has developed reactions to white wine and sherry.

Had some odd reactions sometimes at meal times, feeling hungry, with a reflux, so I am eating a nice fruit Yoghurt first, then I can eat my meal  :)

I have been told people have been left with gum and teeth trouble.

Mark

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 05 December 20 11:45 GMT (UK) »
"Fortunately we have had a good diet for many years."
Like JenB I have a very good diet, fresh air & exercise but about 5 years ago was found to have low calcium & vit D levels which were checked after a fracture [which had been due to what was termed medically a 'catastrophic' fall]. I was put on calcium & vit D3 supplement straight away & have taken it ever since. 

What I am saying is that a good diet [even with plenty of dairy foods, green vegetables & pulses] does not guarantee an adequate blood vit D level. Remember you also need an adequate supply of magnesium too so that the parathyroid can activate the vit D.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 05 December 20 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Josey

Don't worry  :) , I can cross Vitamin D off, I had an itchy rash response.

I needed it a year ago, but we the Public were oblivious back then to what was coming, I even changed back to my previous trusted soap powder, washing all my clean clothes, bed linen and everything else too in February with extra plain water rinses, but it made no difference.

I was prescribed a Steroid Cream on 16th March to try and control the rash pain etc.

Mark

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 05 December 20 20:38 GMT (UK) »

The Surgeon feels my body rash, iching and stinging is the after effect of Covid.

I'm a bit puzzled about why you ascribe this massive array of nasty symptoms to COVID, when you have never had a positive test. From what you've said before, you have been suffering strange symptoms for years.

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 13 November 22 18:36 GMT (UK) »
https://www.yourcovidrecovery.nhs.uk/i-think-i-have-long-covid/effects-on-your-body/skin-problems/

The NHS has now acknowledged that long covid symptoms include skin disorders.  I too have had terrible itching, inflammation and tingling sensitive skin that comes and goes, each day I have a different pattern on my face, neck and chest.  It is very debilitating and gets me down when I look in the mirror each morning to see what has developed.  The skin on my face around my eyes, mouth and chin all flakes off, it is like having bad dandruff on my face.  I have tried so many different creams and lotions, some over-the-counter and some prescribed and nothing will make it go away, only soothe it sometimes.  Many of my usual skin creams made my skin sting so much I had to wash it all off (with cold water) and try something else.  The only one that does help a little is Aveeno and a thick emollient called Zerobase.  Piriton tablets haven't helped with the itching at all.  Hydrocortisone creams do very little for me either.  I can wake in the night and find that I've been scratching in my sleep!

My problems began in February after skin on and around my ears became infected.  The inflammation spread to my eyelids and scalp and then worsened.  I was not ill in any other way all through the months until September and had no idea I could have been asymptomatic with Covid earlier in the year.  The NHS pages on skin disorders only appeared in my Google searches when I did test positive in late September and had been feeling very unwell.  The redness and inflammation which was beginning to recede has become more pronounced since I had Covid and I feel I am stuck with it.  I am awaiting an appointment with a dermatologist to see if anything else can be done.

So, BushInn1746/Mark, I have much sympathy for you with a similar skin condition, it sounds very like mine.  I would be interested to find out if you have had any improvement, as your last post on this thread was nearly two years ago.

This is posted with my apologies to anyone if they are offended by the "medical" details but if any readers have similar skin disorders post-Covid, I would be interested to hear of their remedies.  :)

Tilly

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 15 November 22 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tilly

If you come under the NHS I would telephone 111 and a Doctor usually calls me back. Usually, itching, a rash and/or red skin (hot at times) that started with a viral illness and doesn't calm down soon after the other illness clears up, needs looking into?

I presume your Doctor / GP has already sent you for blood tests to check for any serious inflammatory markers or any other accute problems?

I had 'influenza' almost 3 years ago and as it cleared up, constipation and a terrible itching started and then a rash to my body (trunk), arms, wrists and legs started. I went to my Doctor a few weeks later regarding my itching and a developing rash who said hasn't that calmed down yet? He prescribed a steroid cream (topical) which didn't work.

I was a bit annoyed wasting money on 3 more prescriptions that didn't work, with one causing a burning feeling on my arm, I had to get in the shower and wash it off and then the Doctor telling me to revert back to my Epaderm Ointment I had purchased which actually calmed the itching.

Two weeks after seeing my GP (and the first lockdown began) I had several medical events (affecting my brain and kidneys) and the rash worsened.

Doctors first thought a stroke, but an MRI scan ruled that out and it was an inflammatory response.

I was also advised to keep a food diary by my Blood Sciences GP (food diary still kept today) and as she must have suspected, I seem to have been left with some food allergies and intolerences. I am having to eat more of what I can tolerate (larger meals) and a supper before bed too I've lost almost 3 stone and been at 10 1/2 stone for about 9 months now.

As soon as inflammation was confirmed to me and prescribed medication was not working (which my GP instructed me to stop using), I began researching foods that calm inflammation and related topics ...

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/foods-that-fight-inflammation

The rash only began to fade and I began having more normal blood readings again earlier this year 2022, but still seem to have health problems.

Walks, sipping water and plenty of rest as I'm falling asleep easliy. I have an elasticated Sports knee support I can put on if my knee begins to feel weak when out walking. My former GP said only wear it when required as I could make the knee weak and affect blood circulation to the knee.

Mark