Author Topic: Martin/Bell families from Bo'ness  (Read 1595 times)

Offline misses123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Martin/Bell families from Bo'ness
« on: Monday 06 July 20 14:14 BST (UK) »
Im trying to track down birth and death certificates for my paternal grandfather but keep hitting a brick wall.
The family appear to have all lived in Bo'ness.
Have traced the family back to pre-1885 on his mothers side - Thomas Bell and Christina Bell (nee Grant) married 1881
Daughter Janet Bell born 1885 died 1968. Married to John Martin (possibly John McCartney Martin) likely in 1903 but not confirmed.

My Grandfather is named as James Martin on his marriage certificate and as being 25 years old in 1951. It states that he is divorced which seems unusual for a 25 year old man and I can't find any marriage certificate for a previous marriage. His parents are given as John Martin and Janet Martin (nee Bell). One of the witnesses is named as Janet Bell Martin Williamson and I'm wondering if perhaps he was illegitimate or adopted.

James Martin worked overseas in Rhodesia and I believe died over there around 1963-65. I cant find any record of his death/passenger records from ships etc.

If anyone can help with any more leads in this family tree I would be very grateful.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Martin/Bell families from Bo'ness
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 July 20 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hi , welcome to RC  :)

One of the witnesses is named as Janet Bell Martin Williamson

Connection ?
Janet Bell M Williamson , birth 1934 , Bo'ness West Lothian.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 July 20 20:43 BST (UK) »
His being divorced may not be that unusual, it could be he served towards the end of WW2 and got married before he was sent overseas. Perhaps when he returned home his wife had found a 'friend' and hence the divorce.

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 July 20 20:48 BST (UK) »
There is a birth for a James Martin registered in Bo'ness in 1926 which could be your man.

Offline misses123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 July 20 21:51 BST (UK) »
His being divorced may not be that unusual, it could be he served towards the end of WW2 and got married before he was sent overseas. Perhaps when he returned home his wife had found a 'friend' and hence the divorce.

That’s interesting, I believe he did serve in WW2- most likely at sea.

Sorry, I should have said in the original post that I obtained birth certificates for 2 James Martins born in 1925 (I think!) and 1926 and neither were the correct one.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 10:34 BST (UK) »
Could be.

If he was 25 in 1951, he would have been about 19 in 1945 when the war ended. If he was married before the end of the war, he must have been an unusually young bridegroom.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 10:41 BST (UK) »
Forfarian, I would agree with that but he probably would have had national service if not the war. The fact that there seems to be no marriage found could be because it was in England and the divorce the same.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 11:01 BST (UK) »
Yes, quite possible.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.