Author Topic: DAWSON - Irene **** Unable to Locate Birth Index and mothers Maiden name ****  (Read 1335 times)

Offline Walkie1973

• RootsChat Extra
  • Actively Researching my family tree.
    • View Profile
Re: DAWSON - Irene **** Unable to Locate Birth Index and mothers Maiden name ****
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 21:22 BST (UK) »
So what year and quarter did you request and the RD?  All three pieces of information are vital to get the right certificate.  If you used Sep qtr 1910 Vol 9b page 473 Leeds RD then that's the certificate you get.

Presumably you didn't actually know where she was born?  Perhaps her Mum went back home to her mother to have the baby and that is why the birth was not registered where you expected.

Nell

When I first searched the GRO for Irene's birth I couldn't find anything, the search returned no results for an Irene Dawson born 24 Jul 1910 ( The date all family have known her birthday to be ). So I applied for the one with the nearest matching birthdate which was 09B 473 thinking there may have been a birth date error. Family still swear the birth was Jul 1910 so wasted the cost of that certificate.
There is little known mention of Irene's mother as most children of Irene are now either deceased of have bad memories.
Hence the reason why I sent off for the marriage certifcate to help with the fathers name atleast.

Unsure was your abbreviation RD is apologies.
Dawson
Walkinshaw
Walkingshaw
Wakenshaw
Walkenshaw
Westwood
Booth

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DAWSON - Irene **** Unable to Locate Birth Index and mothers Maiden name ****
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 21:27 BST (UK) »
Did your grandma Irene have any brothers and sisters that you know of?  If so, what were their names?  Perhaps they might help track down the right entry.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Walkie1973

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 21:37 BST (UK) »
There is always the possibility she wasn't born Dawson - perhaps her mother married George later and she took the surname?

George married to Beatrice Fanny was b c1896, so not Irene's father

It is truly a head blag, and strange, its not the sort of thing we tend to bring up as Grandchildren asking who Great Grandma is/was, I don't think I found out my Grans forename until I was in my late teens, we always called her Gran lol. Something the millennial's of today won't struggle with in future years, what with the digital social media era. Everyone knows what people have had to eat these days.

Hard to believe I'll struggle to get beyond Irene in the tree, I can only hope maybe the 1921 census might give a bit of a clue.
Dawson
Walkinshaw
Walkingshaw
Wakenshaw
Walkenshaw
Westwood
Booth

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 21:40 BST (UK) »

It means registration district.

I was going to add something to my other post but everything went at less than snail's pace for a while - and I lost the thought  :(

Nell

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 21:43 BST (UK) »
No occupation but father’s name is George

Maurice Dawson Born 4 th Nov 1891
Baptism 16 Dec 1891
Residence   Hull, York
Father   George Dawson mother Harriett
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J7LW-KXJ

not found them 1901 census or Maurice’s birth reg   ???
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Walkie1973

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 21:44 BST (UK) »
Did your grandma Irene have any brothers and sisters that you know of?  If so, what were their names?  Perhaps they might help track down the right entry.

Nell

Its sketchy to say the least, and the whole purpose of my researching to find out exactly who she was related to, there was suggestion she may have had 2 half sisters but sorry no mention of any names.
I assumed that any information in relation to a family name were all held in their own file for indexing or for the purpose of acquiring certificates ???
Would the GRO not be able to link Irene based on her marriage certificate to enable me to resource her own birth certificate???
I don't know  :'(
Dawson
Walkinshaw
Walkingshaw
Wakenshaw
Walkenshaw
Westwood
Booth

Offline Walkie1973

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 21:47 BST (UK) »
No occupation but father’s name is George

Maurice Dawson Born 4 th Nov 1891
Baptism 16 Dec 1891
Residence   Hull, York
Father   George Dawson mother Harriett
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J7LW-KXJ

not found them 1901 census or Maurice’s birth reg   ???

So Maurice may have been an older brother ? Or possibly a cousin or Uncle  ::)
Dawson
Walkinshaw
Walkingshaw
Wakenshaw
Walkenshaw
Westwood
Booth

Offline Walkie1973

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 21:54 BST (UK) »

It means registration district.

I was going to add something to my other post but everything went at less than snail's pace for a while - and I lost the thought  :(

Nell
Ah ok, agreed the site does seem to be taking its time to post and refresh, laggy. I don't know where to go from here, other than to keep researching the father George, Maurice and maybe the Annie Parker ( but she could have just been a passer by in the 1900's to be fair )

Tricky, and I thank you all for trying too, I was beginning to think I was going mad not finding her birth registration index. It's almost as though she didn't exist.

Could Irene have been Adopted or Orphaned I begin to think? Would that birth still be registered albeit under a different surname ( minefield ).
Dawson
Walkinshaw
Walkingshaw
Wakenshaw
Walkenshaw
Westwood
Booth

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 21:58 BST (UK) »

I assumed that any information in relation to a family name were all held in their own file for indexing or for the purpose of acquiring certificates ???
Would the GRO not be able to link Irene based on her marriage certificate to enable me to resource her own birth certificate???

Oh if only  ;D  That would be too easy.

There is no link between any vital event - we don't each have a file that is linked to every event in our life.

We have to go backwards from what we know to what we don't through marriage and birth certificates.  And even then, the certificates may not tell the whole truth.

I wonder if Irene's parents were not married?  Did she perhaps make up her father's name for the purpose of the marriage certificate?  The fact that you think she had half-siblings does indicate another relationship somewhere.

Nell