Author Topic: DAWSON - Irene **** Unable to Locate Birth Index and mothers Maiden name ****  (Read 1333 times)

Offline Walkie1973

• RootsChat Extra
  • Actively Researching my family tree.
    • View Profile
The Covid-19 Lockdown has, as I imagine has many others, intrigued me to go back to my family tree, which I started a few years ago, but ground to a halt as soon as I got to my dads parents ( my paternal Grandparents ), not very far I hear you say, with little resources and understanding I hit a brick wall straight away.

Now determined I find myself in a better position, armed with a little more background knowledge and have managed to progress well on my mothers side ( maternal grandparents ), but yet still stumped on my Grandma (Paternal) details as follows:

Irene DAWSON (Jun 1910- Jul 2006) married at Leeds  Registry Office in 1929 to  Adam, Eddie WAKENSHAW (Sept 1907-Apr 1998) 

*name variations apply (WALKINSHAW, WALKINGSHAW, WALKENSHAW)

I applied for birth certificates for both, as well as their marriage certificate in the hope that they would give a greater insight, unfortunately they don't seem to be offering me any help on my Grandma Irene. The dates seem wrong and the details according to the census 1911  ??? they're linked to also seem wrong and don't match.

Marriage cert details: Volume 9B Page 527  ;D
Leeds Registry Office

12 Feb 1929  ;D
Bachelor, Adam (21yrs) a Baker. Son to Adam E Walkingshaw a Railway Goods Porter.
;D
married
Spinster Irene (18yrs) daughter to George Dawson a Fish Fryer. ;D

They lived at Moorland Cottage Hyde Park Road, Leeds at the time of marriage. ;D

Witnesses : Maurice Dawson/ Minnie Dawson (unclear writing) ???
                  Annie Parker  ;D

Adam's Birth Index : Volume 10B Page 466 ;D
Irene's Birth Index : Volume 9B Page 473  :'(

Am I missing something obvious?, The Irene related to the birth index above seems to be a totally different person born Jun 1909 not July 1910 and on the 1911 census the family are listed as living at 49 Nowell Place Harehills Lane, Leeds ( which to be fare is within reach of the area they were known to be brought up in ) and that Irene's father HEAD of household is now a John Thomas DAWSON not George DAWSON on the marriage certificate.

Im so stuck here and cant get any further, any help would truly be appreciated to fit in the missing jigsaw piece.
thanks in advance.
Dawson
Walkinshaw
Walkingshaw
Wakenshaw
Walkenshaw
Westwood
Booth

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: DAWSON - Irene **** Unable to Locate Birth Index and mothers Maiden name ****
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 19:59 BST (UK) »
Have you checked the 1939 register which should give their full birthdates
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: DAWSON - Irene **** Unable to Locate Birth Index and mothers Maiden name ****
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 20:06 BST (UK) »
Death reg for Adam Walkinshaw 1998 Keighley shows birthdate as 22.9.1907

Death reg for Irene Walkinshaw 2006 Keighley has birthdate 24.7.1910
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 20:15 BST (UK) »
Could Maurice & Minnie Dawson be siblings of Irene - have you checked GRO indexes for births around same time as Irene’s to see if mothers maiden match
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Walkie1973

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 20:16 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Carole W.

I already had the details by word of mouth which are correct, but i needed the birth index to add as a source citation against the Ancestry birth details on Lifestory ( If that makes sense )
I've never even thought to just go straight to the 1939 census, I just assumed that since the 1921 census isn't released until 2022 that the 1939 census wouldn't be available either.

It still wont help me with the maiden name of my Grandmothers mother though will it?
Dawson
Walkinshaw
Walkingshaw
Wakenshaw
Walkenshaw
Westwood
Booth

Offline Walkie1973

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 20:18 BST (UK) »
Could Maurice & Minnie Dawson be siblings of Irene - have you checked GRO indexes for births around same time as Irene’s to see if mothers maiden match

The name is unclear on the certified copy of the marriage certificate, i'm unsure if its Maurice or Minnie that is transcribed. Not 2 different persons, just the 1 person.
Dawson
Walkinshaw
Walkingshaw
Wakenshaw
Walkenshaw
Westwood
Booth

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 20:23 BST (UK) »
I've never even thought to just go straight to the 1939 census, I just assumed that since the 1921 census isn't released until 2022 that the 1939 census wouldn't be available either.

A small correction  ;D
The 1939 National Register wasn't a census.
It was continually updated by the NHS after the war until the 1990s.

A census is a snapshot of who was where on a specific night.

Adam is entered as Eddie (Adam) Walkinshaw, b 1907.
Irene entered as born 1910.
Also a Jean Derry (Walkinshaw) at the same address (born 1931).
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 20:27 BST (UK) »
1902 marriage Leeds -  John George Dawson to Louisa Hill

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 July 20 20:30 BST (UK) »
could it be Mabel the name on the wedding cert.

Name:   Mother's Maiden Surname:
   DAWSON, IRENE       HARRIS 
GRO Reference: 1910  S Quarter in KEIGHLEY  Volume 09A  Page 189
   DAWSON, MABEL       HARRIS 
GRO Reference: 1908  M Quarter in KEIGHLEY  Volume 09A  Page 191

GEDmatch M157477