Author Topic: Marriage licence  (Read 251 times)

Offline Meelystar

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage licence
« on: Tuesday 07 July 20 23:56 BST (UK) »
My ancestors marry in 1821 at Saint George Hanover Square by licence. Where might I see this if it still exists?

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage licence
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 00:40 BST (UK) »
It depends which diocese or archdiocese issued the licence.

If it was a Bishop of London licence, you might find the allegation/bond on Ancestry, but they are not complete there. The originals are at London Metropolitan Archives (closed till 7 September).

If it was an Archbishop of Canterbury licence, the Vicar-General and Faculty Office allegations/bonds are name-indexed on FindMyPast. For any index entry found there, a printout (from microfilm) can be ordered from the Society of Genealogists for £15.00, using the link provided on FindMyPast. But the Society is currently closed and likely to remain so for some time yet.

You are most unlikely to find a copy of the licence itself anywhere, as this was given to the clergyman when the couple married. What exactly are you trying to find out?

Offline Meelystar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 00:51 BST (UK) »
Ok yes appears to be something with Canterbury I will apply to the society of genealogists when they reopen.  ;D
I’ve seen a few - I guess in retrospect they were bonds/allegations - they seem to give out varying information, one gave a father’s name for example. I’m stuck on both of these ancestors, I have at least 10 possible baptisms for the bride who has a common name and that is just with a cursory glance. So I just want clues and who knows there might be some!
Thanks for your help bookbox

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 July 20 00:57 BST (UK) »
If it is William Ruffe and Catharine Hughes, it was an Archbishop of Canterbury licence issued through the Faculty Office on 20 January 1821. You can apply direct to the SoG when they reopen, giving them that date (not the date of the marriage).