Author Topic: Jeremiah Johnson-Lineage  (Read 409 times)

Offline sarah.negus84

• I have turned off my email notifications
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jeremiah Johnson-Lineage
« on: Thursday 09 July 20 13:39 BST (UK) »
Seeking information on the parents of Jeremiah JOHNSON,who married Charlotte CHASE and lived in Gagetown,N.B. at the time of his children's births. Charlotte was the daughter of Loyalist Reuben CHASE;her sister Thankful married Tertullus DICKINSON. Jeremiah and Charlotte had (at least) four children,all baptized in Gagetown:

William bapt.1795;md.Rebecca DICKINSON (Tertullus and Thankful's daughter)
Salome bapt.1797,d.1840 Richmond,N.B.;md.John LONDON
Mary Psalter bapt.1799
Mahalah bapt.1801;md.Thomas PRITCHARD

I had thought,originally,that Jeremiah might be s/o Nathaniel Johnson (1726-1797) and Sarah Nichols of Fairfield,CT (their son Jeremiah was b.1756 according to the Barbour Collection;two older brothers were Joseph(1750-) and Solomon(1753-)),however I may be wrong in my thinking now.

William and Rebecca's Children:
(not in order):

Jane(1826-);md.? DAY
Harriet(1828-)
George
Roseanne(abt.1829-);md.John COLLICOTT
Johannah(d.1908)
John William(1836-1899);md.Ruth COLLICOTT (John's niece)
Mary Elizabeth(1840-1887);md.George COLLICOTT(Ruth's brother)
Amelia(abt.1850-)
Charles M.(abt.1853-)

The only (confirmed) child of Salome i've come across:

William Mansfield LONDON(1821-1840);d.age 19,the same month as his mother

It has been a bit frustrating to move forward on my maternal line,given the most common surname in the world and a real lack of resources in order to do so!
Negus,Johnson,Knox,McLaren,Morrell

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Jeremiah Johnson-Lineage
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 July 20 00:51 BST (UK) »
a few thoughts, no answers.

Jeremiah Johnson is said to be mentioned in this book. Can you find a library who will look it up for you?

The loyalists of New Brunswick
Author:    Esther Clark Wright
Publisher:    Beaver Bank, N.S., Canada : Justin B. Wentzell, ©2008.

library locator:

https://www.worldcat.org/title/loyalists-of-new-brunswick/oclc/456740815?referer=di&ht=edition#borrow

----------
This doesn't help the situation. I thought this was them for a while, but this lady's father was named Samuel:

Massachusetts, Compiled Marriages, 1633-1850
Name:    Jeremiah Johnson
Spouse:    Challotte Chace
Marriage Date:    20 Oct 1806
City:    Swansea
County:    Bristol
Source: Family History Library, Salt Lake City, UT, Film # 0022366 item 3 & 0903395 items 7-8

same event, different source:

Event Type:    Marriage
Marriage Date:    26 Oct 1806
Marriage Place: USA
Spouse Name:    Charlotte Chase
Spouse Father Name:    Samuel Chase

The New England Historical & Genealogical Register, 1847-2011
Page Number:    26
Volume Number:    088

------------
and another thought, can you find the son of Nathaniel Johnson (1726-1797) and Sarah Nichols of Fairfield CT on later Connecticut records? If so, he didn't go to New Brunswick. If not, then maybe.

And were they a loyalist family, or were families divided as in the American Civil War? Where did their other sons go? Where did Nathaniel and Sarah die?

--------
lots of stuff on Reuben Chase here, if you don't have it already. Or maybe you posted it :)

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Chase-1549

----------
Does the Wing in your user name come from the New England family of the same name? They are one of the few my wife is not related to by marriage, but there used to be a huge Wing genealogy tree on rootsweb that had some of her connected families. I think he has it on ancestry now.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 July 20 01:12 BST (UK) »
Couldn't Jeremiah have been from a Johnson family that had been in N.B. for a while, and that came there straight from England? Or do you have something that says he was a loyalist, or that he or  his family had come from the future US colonies for some other reason?

Offline sarah.negus84

• I have turned off my email notifications
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 July 20 03:57 BST (UK) »
a few thoughts, no answers.

Jeremiah Johnson is said to be mentioned in this book. Can you find a library who will look it up for you?

The loyalists of New Brunswick
Author:    Esther Clark Wright
Publisher:    Beaver Bank, N.S., Canada : Justin B. Wentzell, ©2008.

library locator:

https://www.worldcat.org/title/loyalists-of-new-brunswick/oclc/456740815?referer=di&ht=edition#borrow

----------
This doesn't help the situation. I thought this was them for a while, but this lady's father was named Samuel:

Massachusetts, Compiled Marriages, 1633-1850
Spouse:    Challotte Chace
Marriage Date:    20 Oct 1806
City:    Swansea
County:    Bristol
Source: Family History Library, Salt Lake City, UT, Film # 0022366 item 3 & 0903395 items 7-8

same event, different source:

Event Type:    Marriage
Marriage Date:    26 Oct 1806
Marriage Place: USA
Spouse Name:    Charlotte Chase
Spouse Father Name:    Samuel Chase

The New England Historical & Genealogical Register, 1847-2011
Page Number:    26
Volume Number:    088

------------
and another thought, can you find the son of Nathaniel Johnson (1726-1797) and Sarah Nichols of Fairfield CT on later Connecticut records? If so, he didn't go to New Brunswick. If not, then maybe.

And were they a loyalist family, or were families divided as in the American Civil War? Where did their other sons go? Where did Nathaniel and Sarah die?

--------
lots of stuff on Reuben Chase here, if you don't have it already. Or maybe you posted it :)

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Chase-1549

----------
Does the Wing in your user name come from the New England family of the same name? They are one of the few my wife is not related to by marriage, but there used to be a huge Wing genealogy tree on rootsweb that had some of her connected families. I think he has it on ancestry now.

Haha,no,actually it comes from a Yu-Gi-Oh! card. My actual last name is Negus. (I should maybe change that username now....)

i did read Loyalists of New Brunswick but sadly there wasn't all that much to go on and,while there was a Jeremiah Johnson listed from CT,it turns out that there was more than one with that same name;the other Jeremiah's wife,if I recall correctly,was named Sarah.

Searches for the son of Nathaniel and Sarah also didn't really yield many results but admittedly I didn't put that much effort into it. Nathaniel and Sarah,as I understand,both died in 1797 in Wesport,Fairfield,CT. I don't know for sure if my Johnsons were Loyalist;where they had lived in Gagetown,it's a distinct possibility but if they weren't,they did marry into Loyalist families. The 1851 census for New Brunswick shows race as "U.S."
Negus,Johnson,Knox,McLaren,Morrell