Author Topic: Does anybody like the new normal?  (Read 4517 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Does anybody like the new normal?
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 12 July 20 15:11 BST (UK) »
The mask issue is definitely a problem, as some people seem to think they provide greater protection than they actually do, whilst for others they raise anxiety levels.   I detest wearing them for the reasons already mentioned, and would simply retreat indoors again if they became compulsory in any additional settings.

Few people were wearing them when I was out shopping, and those that did seemed to be constantly pulling them up & down or otherwise fiddling with them, whilst others only had their mouths covered - all of which would seem to defeat the objective.  I also observed that, bizarrely, those wearing masks had a greater tendency to walk straight past the hand sanitisers.

The latest estimates are that approx 1 in every 3,900 people is now infected, so to introduce compulsory mask wearing some weeks after the easing measures would, I feel, increase people's concerns about safety rather than provide any reassurances to those who are already uncomfortable about the level of easing.

It's a difficult balance, as what A may be happy with can feel too risky for B, and what B is comfortable with may feel unbearable for A.   Ultimately I think they'll have to go for whichever increases footfall.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 12 July 20 15:24 BST (UK) »
I felt quite claustrophobic when I first started wearing a mask but have now adapted to using this with ease.  It didn't happen straightaway though it took time to get used to.
I have found that it is no good running for a bus with one on, though.  I did that once and getting out of breath with my mask on made me feel like I was getting smothered with a pillow.
Last week I had my first trip to the hairdressers since lockdown  and I followed the rules about wearing a mask.  However, when my hair was cut it dropped inside my mask and breathing normally I blew this up into my eyes.  Thereafter I held the mask firmly on my face.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 12 July 20 15:37 BST (UK) »
The mask issue is definitely a problem, as some people seem to think they provide greater protection than they actually do, whilst for others they raise anxiety levels.   I detest wearing them for the reasons already mentioned, and would simply retreat indoors again if they became compulsory in any additional settings.

Few people were wearing them when I was out shopping, and those that did seemed to be constantly pulling them up & down or otherwise fiddling with them, whilst others only had their mouths covered - all of which would seem to defeat the objective.  I also observed that, bizarrely, those wearing masks had a greater tendency to walk straight past the hand sanitisers.

The latest estimates are that approx 1 in every 3,900 people is now infected, so to introduce compulsory mask wearing some weeks after the easing measures would, I feel, increase people's concerns about safety rather than provide any reassurances to those who are already uncomfortable about the level of easing.

It's a difficult balance, as what A may be happy with can feel too risky for B, and what B is comfortable with may feel unbearable for A.   Ultimately I think they'll have to go for whichever increases footfall.

I feel significantly more unsafe when surrounded by people not wearing masks or not wearing them properly.  That coupled with people ignore then sanitising stations available and seeing/hearing people object to handwashing etc has led me to feel that I may never get back to going out and about again.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 12 July 20 15:41 BST (UK) »
I have heard them referred to as 'face nappies'!!!

Sort of sums up how the government treat us like little children, doesn't it? I'd grudgingly wear one if I actually thought there was any plan to it all but I'm afraid I've lost all faith in the edicts coming out of Downing Street. They seem to be too concentrated on their internecine war with the civil servants to come up with a coherent plan for the virus.

I read today that someone (sorry, can't remember his name) is trying to take a case to a judicial review of the 'unprecedented powers' used by the government 'on the pretext of Covid 19'. Needless to say, it has been refused!!

I think I mentioned that this would happen in an earlier post. Just call me Clair Voyant!!
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 12 July 20 16:42 BST (UK) »
Wearing a mask is for the general good, think; What goes around, comes around.
Also consider,  surgeons and nurses,wear masks when they operate on and treat you, otherwise I wonder what infections they might transmit to an open wound, or to someone who is ill, what if they decided that they did not like wearing them should be reason enough not to.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 12 July 20 19:06 BST (UK) »
I opened my window curtains this morning and saw a new bit of litter had been casually tossed over my garden wall.

It was one of those blue and white face masks - the ones where people who wear them keep having to push them up over their noses.  I live nearly opposite the local watering hole and have been imagining various scenarios whereby the mask was dispensed with.   For instance was a hen pecked hubby, given permission to have a chinwag with some mates on Saturday night on the condition he wore the face mask?  Then as soon as he turned the corner of the street  did he quickly remove it to show the world he was still an independent manly thinker before anyone saw him and surreptitiously pop it over my garden wall? :-)
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline zoe_Wiccalo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 13 July 20 22:24 BST (UK) »

I also don't like it but I'll refuse forever  that this is the "normal", it's not normal.

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 08:49 BST (UK) »
I think my main issue with this is that I have done everything I am supposed to do to keep myself and my OH safe.  We locked down and followed all the rules.  We only went out for exercise, to the supermarket and chemist.  We washed our hands when we go indoors and sanitized them when we were out after touching anything.  Now we are out of lockdown we have not been to a pub, a protest march, a crowded beach or restaurant or even a coffee shop.  We are still doing what we did in lockdown but there are so many more restrictions on us.  We always keep 2m away from everyone we meet in the street or in supermarkets.  If we talk to anyone for any length of time (more than good-morning) we stand over 2m away.  We live in an area that has a very low death rate and I believe they were all in a local care home.  If the virus has got even close to us I would be very surprised.  But the restrictions are what is keeping me at home now - not the fear of the virus.  I refuse to spend my money if I get no pleasure out of doing so. 

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 11:17 BST (UK) »

My local Waitrose car park yesterday was littered with paper masks and blue plastic gloves. Presumably people had just discarded them as they got in their cars?

Don't people realize that the gloves in particular can be washed and reused?

And who do they think is going to pick up all of their litter?

Romilly:-(
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.