Author Topic: facebook  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: facebook
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 July 20 22:16 BST (UK) »
I don't have a FB account but if I did there is no way I would send any id especially driving license, passport, company id etc, it would give them even more data about youself.

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 July 20 22:20 BST (UK) »
I know  but if If I open I new account do I lose all my previous posts and friends,  it's that I'm concerned about
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 July 20 22:24 BST (UK) »
I am profoundly shocked that you should be asked to produce such confidential documents to a platform like FB with no guarantee that the information would be treated with the utmost confidentiality and not held by them.

Just asked my daughter - who understands these things - and her advice is to make a list of the friends/groups you can remember, make a new a/c with a different email address, and then message your friends, tell them what's happened, and asking them to send friend requests.  As a matter of interest I do have friends who make two accounts (with different names and email addresses) to cope with such an eventuality as this.

Do hope you manage to get it sorted - I really do feel for you on this, but under no circumstances would I be letting them have confidential information that they are requesting.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 10 July 20 22:26 BST (UK) »
I don't have a Facebook account either but was wondering if you could you revert back to the original date you gave them? I wouldn't want to be sending them the types of ID they are asking for, that's for sure.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 10 July 20 22:32 BST (UK) »
I don't have a Facebook account either but was wondering if you could you revert back to the original date you gave them? I wouldn't want to be sending them the types of ID they are asking for, that's for sure.

PB

I think you get stuck once they query what you're doing so they don't allow you to do anything.  I'm afraid I don't have my correct date of birth on FB.  I was fed up with receiving ads for Spanish holidays and dubious pieces of costume jewellery, so now according to FB I am 107.  No more suggestions of Spanish timeshares, fortunately, but lots of information about care homes, will-writing services and funeral directors. 
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 10 July 20 22:43 BST (UK) »
This is the problem,  they don't accept my original dob or the changed one. I only have ever used ome email address so don't even know about changing it. Genealogy fine, technology no no.m

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 10 July 20 22:48 BST (UK) »
It's ridiculous that you have to do all that, yet people can obviously start new accounts with false information and no questions asked!

I can see your problem though, as you will have to rejoin all your groups again if you have a new account. Although once in them I think you should be able to see your original posts. How tight was your security on your original account? if it wasn't that tight you may be able to still see that and get your friends off that and invite them again.

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 11 July 20 16:51 BST (UK) »
Well I`m unlocked.I  had a good read through what they wanted and sent the Cropped  bit with my DOB off my driving license  and a cropped name from a bill. So there was no full details.
 I think I must have used my true date of birth at first then changed it  ::) so what I sent must have matched. It did take a few hours and I can only imagine there is a human at the other end to check.
It was a real pain,  but at least I`m in. No more changes for me  ;)

I can`t understand how so many people have multiple accounts, they must just delete one and start another.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 11 July 20 17:32 BST (UK) »
It's good to hear you got it sorted. Thanks for letting us know.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada