Author Topic: King's Bench Court and Prison. Help Needed.  (Read 315 times)

Offline hettyhen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
King's Bench Court and Prison. Help Needed.
« on: Saturday 11 July 20 03:18 BST (UK) »
In the “Ipswich Journal” dated 30 (cor.) Dec 1797 an article reports that Mordecai HYMAN was found guilty of “Bribing a Customs Officer”.  I haven’t been able to find the sentence.
Extract from a “King’s Bench and Fleet Prison Discharge Book and Prisoner Lists” Committed 8 Feb 1798. Discharged 1801.
London Gazette 1801 28 Jul, I think, page 941, First notice of him being back in King’s Bench Prison. Also a second and third notice at later times.
1803 June 28 Petition for Pardon from 389 men and women imprisoned for debt in the King’s Bench prison. Mordecai HYMAN is among the signatories.
    Is there anywhere to find the sentence from 1797?  About three years doesn’t really seem a lot
    for bribing a Customs Officer.
    Is it possible that he was released in 1801 and then taken straight back in for debt?
Are there any prison records that would show his age so I can prove that he became Marcus/Mordecai HYMAN, Apothecary and Surgeon of Chatham and Rochester who died 2 Jul 1846 aged 95, and who was declared bankrupt a few more times over the years.
I have some pages from his Apothecary Register 1813, 1814 and 1823 with what appears, to me, to be written by three different hands so will put his signature from 1803 and a selection from the pages onto the handwriting board and see if the experts there can say yes or no there is a likeness.
There are various spellings of HYMAN as Hymans/Hyams/Hayman etc. and deciding whether they are the same person is a bit of a puzzle to solve.
This is a bit of a rambling query but any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers
HeatherR

ps.
Just as an extra in Jan 1804 a Patent for the Tonsor Waterless Shaving method was issued to a Marcus HYMANS. A pretty brutal way of shaving going by the list of ingredients, including ground pumice.  I can post a copy of the Patent, including ingredients and method, to any interested people out there.  Same man or not have no idea, but maybe a start to his Apothecary Business.

Lanarkshire=Robertson-Ross-Russell-Neilson.
Staffordshire= Harrison-Jackson-Round
London=Poswillo-Hyams-Karby-Dossett-Baram-Detloff-Hyman
Gibralter=Poswillo
Dorset= Attwooll-Read-Northover
Australia=Karby-Meyer

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: King's Bench Court and Prison. Help Needed.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 July 20 08:18 BST (UK) »
It looks like the 1798 committal to prison was for debt, with large sums owed to the King, amongst others.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/9158/42479_635001_11675-00038/1389
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 July 20 08:30 BST (UK) »
In the “Ipswich Journal” dated 3 Dec 1797 an article reports that Mordecai HYMAN was found guilty of “Bribing a Customs Officer”.  I haven’t been able to find the sentence.

There was a Kings Bench court proceeding reported on 30 December 1797 to recover a penalty of £500 imposed for offering a bribe to a Customs officer.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/viewarticle?id=bl%2f0000191%2f17971230%2f006&stringtohighlight=hyman

Offline hettyhen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 July 20 08:55 BST (UK) »
ShaunJ,
Thank you for that information. Looking at the record some people have "Discharged" written by their names so he may have been supposed to be on Prisoner List not the Discharged List. It does look like a huge amount of money to repay from the prison.
I don't have a sub to "findmypast" and can't get to that article, so will try to make it to the Public Library on Monday to try and find it. It is school holidays here in NZ at the moment so could be quite noisy in there.
But, every little bit of information helps.
HeatherR
Gibralter=Poswillo
Australia=Karby-Meyer

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 July 20 09:22 BST (UK) »
The FindMyPast item is a press report in the Ipswich Journal of 30 December 1797, page 4. Maybe the one you have already seen?

Offline hettyhen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 July 20 09:29 BST (UK) »
Whoops the article is from 30 Dec. but don't have the page number.
 Starts "In the Court of King's Bench, Guildhall, the King v Hyman. Mr. Mingay said,"
and ends " Hyman was found guilty"
next line Norwich Market was abundantly supplied....

Was a few years ago when I found it, so maybe should have read further.
Gibralter=Poswillo
Australia=Karby-Meyer

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 July 20 09:47 BST (UK) »
Yes that's the same article.