Author Topic: Southwark district; St George the Martyr  (Read 981 times)

Offline Sarndra

• RootsChat Senior
  • www.magnaquiestracing.co.nz
    • View Profile
Southwark district; St George the Martyr
« on: Sunday 12 July 20 04:12 BST (UK) »
Hi there

My GGGG grandfather James John KITCHENER died 3 Oct 1847 aged 47 at the Workhouse, Mint Street, Southwark of diarrhoea.  He is in the deaths and burials register for the above church. 

My query is what cemetery was nearby that he might be buried in.  All my searches over the years have not yielded a cemetery for him.  He was only in the workhouse due to illness and his wife Caroline was living on the outside.

Thanks in advance!

Sarndra
ARBUCKLE; BAILEY; BLACKADDER; BURNS; DARBON/DARBEN; DAVIDSON; ERSKINE; EVANS; GUEST; HANNAH; HAMILTON; HAND; HOLDER; JOHNSTON; KENNEDY; KITCHENER; LAVERIE; LAWSON; LEES;  LEESE; LOAN; LODGE; MACE; MCCOOK; MCGUIRE; MCKAI/MCKAY; MCLEES; PAWSON; RUSS; STEVENSON; TOUGH; VALE; WERT; WHEELER; WORT;

Offline Enumerated

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Southwark district; St George the Martyr
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 July 20 12:10 BST (UK) »
If he is in the Burial Register of St George the Martyr Church then he was buried in that churchyard.

Unless I have misunderstood something.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 July 20 12:14 BST (UK) »
Wikipedia says

In 1899, the crypt was cleared and 1,484 coffins were removed and re-interred at Brookwood Cemetery.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 July 20 13:12 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 July 20 13:40 BST (UK) »
In 1853 all burials were discontinued with the preservation of existing rights in the parish churchyard.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 July 20 17:08 BST (UK) »
James Kitchener died 3 Oct 1847, at St George the Martyr Workhouse

His body was taken out by his wife.
Register of deaths says he was buried 5th October, but where?
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QHV-L3NY-MZ3N?i=396&cat=1327715

St George the Martyr burial register is online. James not buried there.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 July 20 19:38 BST (UK) »
Fascinating!
From the same workhouse register of burials.
Note the change in 1849 regarding burials paid for by the parish.
From being buried at "The Lock", to buried at Victoria Park Cemetery
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QHV-L3NY-MH1N?i=422&cat=1327715

As far as I know, the earliest surviving burial registers, or records of burials!, for VPC are from 1853.
Probably there were burials there back in 1847, it was certainly used later by some Southwark folk (in addition to the St George workhouse cases!)

So that might be one possibility, as well as any more local alternatives.
"The Lock" is also interesting. Those workhouse burials there are found in the St George the Martyr burial registers, so was it an additional burial ground for the parish?
See also St George the Martyr in The London Burial Grounds
http://www.burial.magic-nation.co.uk/bgstgeorgemartyr.htm

Added!
It's all in the newspapers, well one or two of them!
Daily News,  26 Oct 1849
INTRAMURAL INTERMENTS AND SUPPLY OF WATER IN SOUTHWARK. A public vestry of the inhabitants of St. George the Martyr, Southwark, took place last evening, at the Vestry-hall, to consider the necessary steps for providing for the burials of the poor..
Mr. DAY, the vestry clerk, read the report of a committee, appointed on the 20th ult., to make arrangements for the interment of the poor, in consequence of the Board of Health having made an order for the closing of the Lock burial-ground and of the parish churchyard. They had ascertained that the different cemetery companies would bury at the undermentioned charges...
Upon this information the committee had unanimously resolved that it was desirable to accept the terms offered by the Victoria Park Cemetery Company, for the burial of the poor persons who might die in the parish; and they desired, in the event of the guardians of the poor adopting the same place of interment for adult paupers, to co-operate with them in making such arrangements as might best conduce to the decent and economical burial of the dead. In consequence of his reasonable charge, the vestry was recommended to vote a sum annually to the present rector,clerk, and sexton, in lieu of the fees hitherto received by them, based on the average of the last four years. The committee had directed the Lock burial-ground to be at closed on and after Friday the 26th instant (this day), and had given the guardians of the poor notice accordingly....

The Victoria Park charges were adults 7 shillings, children under 10 years, 5 shillings, under 5 years, 3 shillings.

Offline Sarndra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 July 20 19:44 BST (UK) »
James Kitchener died 3 Oct 1847, at St George the Martyr Workhouse

His body was taken out by his wife.
Register of deaths says he was buried 5th October, but where?
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QHV-L3NY-MZ3N?i=396&cat=1327715

St George the Martyr burial register is online. James not buried there.

Yes i have all that and his death certificate but thank you :)  I'm a long time family genealogist (40+ yrs) and a long time ancestry subscriber!

Photos of the church i hunted before posting didn't appear to show a cemetery which prompted me to post.

Cheers!
Sarndra
ARBUCKLE; BAILEY; BLACKADDER; BURNS; DARBON/DARBEN; DAVIDSON; ERSKINE; EVANS; GUEST; HANNAH; HAMILTON; HAND; HOLDER; JOHNSTON; KENNEDY; KITCHENER; LAVERIE; LAWSON; LEES;  LEESE; LOAN; LODGE; MACE; MCCOOK; MCGUIRE; MCKAI/MCKAY; MCLEES; PAWSON; RUSS; STEVENSON; TOUGH; VALE; WERT; WHEELER; WORT;

Offline Sarndra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 July 20 19:46 BST (UK) »
Appreciate all the feedback it's very helpful.

Dem bones dem bones dem dry bones!

Have a fabulous day/night wherever you are!

Sarndra