Author Topic: WW1 or WW2 uniform + some service questions  (Read 804 times)

Offline nickcooper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW1 or WW2 uniform + some service questions
« on: Monday 13 July 20 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Could anyone identify this photo for me please? I've always thought it was my Grandfather and a friend but I've recently found that his father and uncle both served in the same regiment in the first world war. I'm lucky enough to still have the Brecknockshire cap badge, which looks the same as the one in the photo, would this have changed between ww1 and ww2?

My Great Grandfather and Uncle where both in the Brecons/Brecknock Battalion of the South Wales Borderers and ended up in India. Flicking through the medal/award rolls, there must have been around 10 pages of  SWB men who 'drowned at sea en route'. Any idea on what happened? If a ship was sunk etc?

Would I benefit from ordering my grandfather's service records? Would I get more info than what I've got here? I do have a service record of sorts, it's an old A4 sheet which has been typewritten and filled in by hand that states his name, address, service number, units served and lists his service medals.

According to this it shows Units:
Brecknockshire Bn (07/03/1939)- Hence question regarding the photo!
3rd Monmouthshire Rgt,
10th Bn (Jan 1940) – I'm unable to see a 10th bn for Monmouthshire or Brecknockshire in ww2?
5th Bn   (May 1941)
2nd Bn South Staffs Regt (1942)

One last question, on a ww1 pension card for a k.i.a family member, it shows him and his mother, but also another soldier's name? Any idea on why this would be the case?

Thanks!

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 or WW2 uniform + some service questions
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 July 20 23:00 BST (UK) »

Flicking through the medal/award rolls, there must have been around 10 pages of  SWB men who 'drowned at sea en route'. Any idea on what happened? If a ship was sunk etc?

Possibly the sinking of the Royal Edward troopship in 1915. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMT_Royal_Edward
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 06:19 BST (UK) »
Re:   One last question, on a ww1 pension card for a k.i.a family member, it shows him and his mother, but also another soldier's name? Any idea on why this would be the case?

One possibility is that he served in the army using an alias name. This may be confirmed by the Soldiers' Effects Register which would be raised using the alias name and his birth name written underneath.

Do you have the Medal Rolls etc, for this man? They may only use the alias name.

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 09:44 BST (UK) »
They are certainly wearing the cap badge of the Monmouthshire Regiment which was the same in both wars.

This https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monmouthshire_Regiment#Second_World_War explains the relationship between the Brecknockshire Battalion of the SWB and the Monmouthshire.  Only his record would clarify the 10th and 5th neither of which, as you have seen , were battalions in either regiment in WW2.  (1st Battalion SWB was in 10th Infantry Division).

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 09:58 BST (UK) »
As to date I'd say the photo was 1920's or 1930's. What are your thoughts Max?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 11:17 BST (UK) »
I'd agree.  Collar badges and the type of SD cap put them post 1922 at the earliest.

If the 7/3/39 date represents when the grandfather joined then that would add up, WW1 type uniform still being worn at that time.  3rd Battalion of that date being a TA battalion.

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline nickcooper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 July 20 15:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for taking a look and confirming the uniforms. I think it might be worth sending away for his records to clarify a few things there.

In regards to the 2 names on the ww1 pension card, I've found another record for my family member, which states this other solders name under the heading "particulars of any man in respect of whom they said claimant has made a previous claim"

Would this indicate that mother made a claim for this other soldiers pension?
The son was kia in 1917 while this 2nd soldier, same regiment, died in 1920.

Cheers,
Nick.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 July 20 15:27 BST (UK) »
It would seem so on the face of it - what do you know about the 2nd man - can you give us his name and number?

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline nickcooper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 July 20 19:05 BST (UK) »
Ahhhhh, might have solved this one myself.  i was about to say i know nothing of the 2nd soldier, he's not appeared in my family tree.

My relation: Charles Edward Bather, SWB, No:27745
Mother: Annie Bather
2nd soldier: Charles Richard Phillips, SWB, No: 3145

It's been a while since I've gone over this side off the family so now looking through the 1911 census, Phillips, 14, is a visitor with the Bathers down in South Wales while two of the older Bather brothers are boarders with a Phillips family back up in London, where they originally came form. Looks like they would have been neighbours. I can only assume both families where close.