Author Topic: Something not seen before on 1939 Register  (Read 1902 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Something not seen before on 1939 Register
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 11:48 BST (UK) »
Well found.

There is a reference in the right hand column of 1939 register against Peter's name....

Is it Post war credits
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 11:54 BST (UK) »
Ah yes, correct initials.

Liverpool Echo 1 Apr 1976 has a death notice:
Hilda Malcolm of 4 Elfet Street Birkenhead died 30 Mar 1976 in hospital in Portsmouth, cremation Porchester; son named as Gordon....

Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 11:57 BST (UK) »
Ah yes, correct initials.

Liverpool Echo 1 Apr 1976 has a death notice:
Hilda Malcolm of 4 Elfet Street Birkenhead died 30 Mar 1976 in hospital in Portsmouth, cremation Porchester; son named as Gordon....
Deaths Mar 1976 
MALCOLM    HILDA    25JY1897    WEYMOUTH    23   1230    
MALCOLM    HILDA    22JE1902    PORTSMOUTH    20   1061
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 11:59 BST (UK) »
Ah, my mistake  :-[.   Will have another look at newspapers to see if I can find 1897 Hilda.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline Retriever

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 12:52 BST (UK) »
I've checked FreeBMD for a Peter Malcolm death after 1949 in both Dorset and Greater London and nothing comes up.

There is a Peter Cassidy death in Bridport, Dorset, in 1959 with age 75 years meaning 1884, which would be correct.

There is another death in December 1970, registration district Hendon which is the registration district for Frederick's mother's sister's death, but the day is two days out and the year of birth a year out.

I'm totally confused.

As far as Frederick A Cassidy is concerned, the death entry for him would appear to be correct but I'm still not convinced. Born Edmonton, moved to Romford with parents, living Ruislip in 1939.

The Oxford Frederick married in Hampshire and both he and his wife died in Oxfordshire.

The connection with me is this line is from my ancestor's sister. I don't have any certificates for them, just the information online which unfortunately doesn't include Frederick's parents' marriage so I don't know his father's occupation at the time.

Many thanks for everyone's input.

Offline Retriever

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 12:56 BST (UK) »
Sorry Rosie, I forgot to say that the other person in the grave is probably his wife as I found her burial entry. She pre-deceased him.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 13:07 BST (UK) »
A lot of people including my great uncle changed their names in second world war to be less German sounding

* Oh and the king

The King, George V,  changed the family name in WW1; 1917 from Saxe-Coburg-Gotha to Windsor.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 13:20 BST (UK) »
It is always hard when we know very little about the family or people involved.

The 1939 National Registration (1939) shows Frederick A. Cassidy born 7 Feb 1923 so that fits with the tree you noted but I doubt it came from the 1939.
There is also a sibling or a servant at that address on the 1939, did Peter & Hilda have another child?

Peter Cassidy name change was notified to the (or changed by the NHS) on the 6 Jan 1959 so he changed his name before or at that date, I very much doubt if it was changed due to the war.

Did he abandon his wife & children and change his name to avoid being traced by them?
Did he come into an inheritance on condition he changed his name?

Do you have his Birth Certificate? There is a Peter Watson Malcolm on the 1911 Census shown as a crewman (carpenter) on a ship, did he desert and change his name to Cassidy, then revert to his birth name later in life?

Cheers
Guy

PS Just seen you have a possible death date of 1959 for Peter, could his earlier change of name been discovered at or just prior to his death and changed back to his "real" name?
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 13:50 BST (UK) »
Yes,the 1979 death certificate might be interesting..as might Hilda's though OP may not be able to justify the cost.