Author Topic: MARY PRESTON (her married name) born approx 1786-1791  (Read 288 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
MARY PRESTON (her married name) born approx 1786-1791
« on: Tuesday 14 July 20 19:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone,
I wonder if anyone can help with a query from a friend of mine please. The 2 aspects of the query are;

1. What was Mary Preston’s maiden name.
 2. Where is she after 1841!

BACKGROUND
James and Mary Preston had 2 children, both baptised on the same date, at Holy Trinity, Dartford as follows;

*Thomas Preston, born, 10.10.1807 ---- baptised 8.3 1811, parents James Preston and Mary. Hence Thomas was over 3 years old when baptised.
Sarah Oliver Preston, born, 7.2.1811 ---baptised 8. 3 1811, parents James Preston and Mary.

* Please note that at his marriage in 1832 to Nancy Powter at St George in the East -- Thomas Preston gave his name as Thomas BRITT Preston.

(In addition, at the baptisms of his children he gave a middle name of Britt or Brett).

There is no trace of a marriage of James Preston to Mary.

After the baptisms, and before 1841 -- the parents, James and Mary, seem to separate.

In 1841, Mary Preston, shown as  age 50 (rounded down presumably) – is with her son in law, Robert Reynolds Filmer – husband of Sarah Oliver Preston, in Minster, Kent,

Meanwhile James Preston, aged 60 and a Baker – is with his son Thomas Preston, his wife and their children in Bentfield, Essex.

By 1851, James is back in Kent - in Minster, aged 70 – with his daughter in law, Nancy Preston (Thomas’s wife). His occupation – ‘formerly Baker’

Mary Preston has completely disappeared and she doesn’t seem to have died.

Hence;
1.   What was Mary Preston’s maiden name? Might it have been Britt, Brett or Oliver, the middle names used by the children.

2.   Where did Mary Preston go after 1841?

Any help or ideas about the mysterious Mary Preston’s maiden name, or what happened to her after 1841 most gratefully received.

Thank You.

Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MARY PRESTON (her married name) born approx 1786-1791
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 20:08 BST (UK) »

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MARY PRESTON (her married name) born approx 1786-1791
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 20:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you Kloumann -- I will see if they have any children in that area. I must confess to only seeking children in Kent - and as a Northener I am not that familiar with the locations.

Thank you so much for looking.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.