Author Topic: Ancestry removing matches less than 8cM  (Read 11519 times)

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry removing matches less than 8cM
« Reply #144 on: Thursday 27 August 20 11:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks to lisalisa - I somehow managed to access the form although I had to log on in a separate window and the text and icons were all out of sync (icons were just squares). Dare say our comments will have no effect whatsoever.

Is anyone else having issues with the system freezing? It's taking me several minutes to get each match marked and so there's no chance of getting through tens of thousands by 'late August'. It would help if you could filter to decimal points, and also if you could filter by those who have no notes (rather than just those who do have notes). It's all a bit rubbish, isn't it?

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Thursday 27 August 20 11:58 BST (UK) »
Definitely is, rubbish I mean!!

Allison - Rumford Stirlingshire & Ireland
Quinn - Rumford, Glasgow, Monklands & Tyrone
Convoy - Rumford, Monklands & Tyrone
Burke - Glasgow, Clifden Galway
Duffy - Cleland Lanarkshire, Monklands, Falkirk, Ireland
Curran - Cleland, Ireland
Reynolds - Cleland, Shettleston, Tollcross, Antrim
McDermott - Cleland, Shotts, (London)Derry

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Thursday 27 August 20 12:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks to lisalisa - I somehow managed to access the form although I had to log on in a separate window and the text and icons were all out of sync (icons were just squares). Dare say our comments will have no effect whatsoever.

Is anyone else having issues with the system freezing? It's taking me several minutes to get each match marked and so there's no chance of getting through tens of thousands by 'late August'. It would help if you could filter to decimal points, and also if you could filter by those who have no notes (rather than just those who do have notes). It's all a bit rubbish, isn't it?
Flemming, there is a script that will save the low matches automatically, mentioned earlier on this thread, sorry I must have missed out on messaging you earlier  :-[, please check your pms.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Saturday 29 August 20 21:35 BST (UK) »
This is getting a little like the Ides of March.  It's nearly the end of August and I can still see the 6 cMs that I chose not to mark in any way.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Sunday 30 August 20 00:19 BST (UK) »
Anyone else seem to be getting far more new matches than usual.....and so many under 8 cm !

I couldn't possibly attempt to classify them all .

Im concentrating on working on my Jones side have established 1 more thru line with a 3C ,2r the kind that wont show when new system takes over.
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: Sunday 30 August 20 10:27 BST (UK) »
Flemming, there is a script that will save the low matches automatically, mentioned earlier on this thread, sorry I must have missed out on messaging you earlier  :-[, please check your pms.

Thanks for the link. Sadly, my eyes and browser glazed over about 2 mins into the video. Neither of us are up to altering Java script and so it's back to the manual process and accepting that a third of my matches will be culled at some point. But at least I got a really unhelpful reply from Ancestry (I can sense the 'pat pat' on the head and 'run along now').

Ancestry will be making changes to DNA Matches in the coming weeks.  We understand your concern, however we do intend to improve the accuracy of matches. Although Matches below 8cms will not be listed as normal in the next few weeks, you can still retain them by adding them to custom groups or messaging these matches also. We do appreciate your feedback on this. We are always sorry to learn our members had a frustrating experience but are happy to help. Your feedback has been forwarded to the appropriate department for consideration.

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: Sunday 30 August 20 11:11 BST (UK) »
Anyone else seem to be getting far more new matches than usual.....and so many under 8 cm !

Same here. Once they're stopped, I won't have any new matches coming through. It will be like tumbleweed city. If they're trying to free up systems processing, it'll certainly work with me, but seems like something of a blunt instrument to achieve the aim.

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: Sunday 30 August 20 16:51 BST (UK) »
Here's what I did after getting the heads up from Melba about the method to automate tagging Matches.
I opened my matches in Firefox. Don't usually use this browser so I had to wait for lots of updates.
I loaded all Ancestry matches, then selected 6 - 6 cM . Decimal places don't seem possible. I started by selecting public linked trees, I pressed function (brown key Fn on my keyboard) and at same time F12. This opened a window in the bottom half of the screen, from which I selected the Console tab. I pasted in the text from the attached text file. I had opened the text file in Notepad, clicked select all and copied and pasted it in. I had made my group for all the matches the second one down after the "star"group and called it "!general". You will need to edit the text file to make it the same as your group in line 6
var groupTitle = "!general"; 
Change group name inside in quotes to your group name.
It is best if you give it a name to make it the second in the list, otherwise you need to change the group number in line 42
var myTag = choices[2].getElementsByClassName("checkbox");

Once you have pasted text in to "console" press run
If it stops, press run again
If it restarts it will skip the matches already tagged and go onto new ones.

hope it works fot you

I also found this worked just as well  in Chrome. But took a bit more time to find the "console" tab

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: Monday 31 August 20 12:08 BST (UK) »
Well that's me given up the ghost on tagging. Decided had to continue on manual operation as my pc is so fragile, though thanks for being in the loop regarding the 'automatic' method. Would have saved me the incipient RSI for sure!! ;D

I have fully tagged down to and including 6.5's on the 3 accounts I manage, and down to 6.0 for matches with >9 people with accessible family trees. I have started on the matches with unlinked trees, on my own account. But to be honest haven't the heart to attack this with gusto, instead I intend to indulge my other hobby, listening to folk music, specifically, the Folk on Foot 3  streamed broadcast on Youtube - about 7 hours of pure pleasure!!

Who knows, if there is time afterwards, I may go at it again for a couple of hours. 

All this assumes untagged matches disappear in a puff of smoke by tomorrow morning.  But I am still on holiday ( with nowhere to go/want to go...) So, you never know!
Allison - Rumford Stirlingshire & Ireland
Quinn - Rumford, Glasgow, Monklands & Tyrone
Convoy - Rumford, Monklands & Tyrone
Burke - Glasgow, Clifden Galway
Duffy - Cleland Lanarkshire, Monklands, Falkirk, Ireland
Curran - Cleland, Ireland
Reynolds - Cleland, Shettleston, Tollcross, Antrim
McDermott - Cleland, Shotts, (London)Derry