Author Topic: Morfa Llandudno  (Read 1973 times)

Offline Bronwen1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Morfa Llandudno
« on: Thursday 16 July 20 20:03 BST (UK) »
Looking for ideas for relatives living on Morfa in Llandudno. What was it like? Any records or pictures? My ancestors were Henry and Mary Davies. Henry was a copper miner.

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Morfa Llandudno
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 July 20 15:13 BST (UK) »
Can you advise what period in time did your ancestors live on Morfa, Llandudno? I presume this was in the 19th century but don't want to give you information that proves to be incorrect.

Have you heard of a book called, "Llandudno before the Hotels"? This is by Christopher Draper and goes into details of the town before it was developed commercially. It has pictures and maps and Morfa was situated near the North Shore about where Craig y Don is today.

You might like to scroll down this page as it covers Morfa, Llandudno. Is the Henry Davies mentioned your ancestor?

http://www.threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1290.msg39345.html#msg39345

Jo

Offline Bronwen1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 July 20 18:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Jo, thank you, this is perfect. Yes , I feel sure that this is my Henry Davies, copper miner, born around 1801, married to Mary. They had five sons, all 7 living in the Ty Unnos cottage on the Morfa.

I have ordered the Llandudno Before the Hotels book, also another one called Llandudno Through Time (hope it’s different!) I love the information from the Three Towns Forum, but I cannot seem to register to join- I have tried a few times.

I would love to be able to piece it all together, which mine did Henry work at, why did he move from Lester Row to Morfa? Where was Lester Row? Why did he move from Morfa to Bryn y Sin and not Madoc Street?
Are there any pictures of the Morfa cottages?

Thank you for your help- any more information or images would be gratefully received.

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 July 20 10:55 BST (UK) »
I have heard from someone else who had difficulty in logging into the Three Towns Forum site. I know they have other old pictures of Llandudno on there. You may be able to access these by a search for them.

I found these using a search on Google:

https://www.google.com/search?source=univ&tbm=isch&q=old+engravings+of+llandudno&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwibuOuPhdnqAhUlQEEAHXohB90QsAR6BAgKEAE&biw=1034&bih=844

You may find some more on this Board:

http://www.threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php/board,10.0.html

Or this one:

http://www.threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=7

I think there are some drawings of the Morfa Cottages in the Llandudno before the Hotels book.

Jo

Offline Bronwen1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 July 20 22:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jo, these links look really useful. Got a busy week at work, but hope to be back to it next weekend.
The ‘Llandudno before the Hotels’ book is brilliant, am reading it from cover to cover. Have flicked through as well, and found Henry Davies mentioned.
He was relocated to Bk Brynwythen after Morfa was cleared, but on the 1861 census it says Bk Bryn y Sin? Have you heard of either of these places?

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 July 20 15:12 BST (UK) »
No, these place names mean nothing to me. In those days there were many little streets behind bigger ones. Some still exist today with Madoc Street and Back Madoc Street, amongst others.

You could do with joining Three Towns Forum. Let me Know if you would like to do so and I will contact the Adminstrator of this site. I am on this and someone contacted me a while ago as she couldn't manage to join it as well.

Jo

Offline Bronwen1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 July 20 19:20 BST (UK) »
Hi, yes please, could you contact the administrator for the forum for me? It looks really helpful and I would like to register. Thank you

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 July 20 19:43 BST (UK) »

Offline Bronwen1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 July 20 22:21 BST (UK) »
I think yes! It says Bryn y Sin on the transcript, but the census image is not that clear. Also, the entries before Back Bryn y Pin, and Bryn y Pin House are 2 and 3 Gay Terrace, and there is a Robert Davies at no. 3! That’s an amazing find, I’m so surprised you found that :D

I hope I got Henry Davies’s 1861 census record right, as his wife has changed from Mary to Margaret, and the 2nd oldest son William’s age is 2 years out  :-\ but everything else seems right.

They all appear in the 1871 Census in Ormes Head Cottage. Henry’s wife is back to Mary, and William’s age looks right. Ormes Head Cottage is also listed after Gay Terrace.