Author Topic: Diary > Thursday 16th July  (Read 1055 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Thursday 16th July
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 July 20 07:55 BST (UK) »
I haven't had a chance to read other posts through properly yet but I am glad to read that you, Roobarb, have been able to get the potting bench at a cheaper price.  To me that sounds like there is an element of Amazon  playing games with people if they offer one price then up it once someone becomes interested. :-\ 

My diary:

Finished nightshift.  It was last one and I still felt reasonably alert so I did not go straight to bed. 
En route home from work I went to buy a present for Grandson's upcoming birthday.  He likes dressing up role play and already has a number of outfits.  I know he is after a doctor's outfit and I manage to get one that comes complete with various medical equipment.  I think he will like that.  The shop assistant looked at me in my mask and started a conversation about this.  She said she thinks masks are awful and is glad that the shop hasn't required them to wear these as yet.
I also returned my books back to my local library at long last.  You have to just drop your books into a small skip in the entrance area and then leave by another exit.  Nothing is scanned straightaway.  I did decide to chance asking if I might have a book I have been after since just before lockdown.  Making a check on the online catalogue the book appears to be in stock.  I suspect the book will be there a few yards in front of me on a shelf.  However, no, I am told that I have to go through the official way of now ordering books.  I suppose I understand this new way of doing things but once at the library I just couldn't resist having a try to see if I might have been able to get the book there and then.
I did observe someone again today who rushed on the bus before waiting for others to alight.  On another day this week I also saw a woman sit down on a  bus seat with a sticker on the window by it saying 'seat not in use'.  I did see her look at the sign but she sat down there anyway.  Perhaps the driver had been too busy watching the road to notice.  I think it would be better if the bus companies put tape around chairs and areas they don't want people to sit.  I think it is all too easy for some people to just disregard sticker notices.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 17 July 20 09:25 BST (UK) »
RTL - I'm sure your grandson will love his dressing up outfit - weboifht pir youngest space mans one at Christmas... think he had it on most of the day!

Shame about the library... I suppose rules is rules... not helpful for you though if the book was within easy reach! Not sure if ours is even open as it's being run by volunteers as it closed and was taken on by local people but not open every day before...
Some people never learn do they to be polite and think of others, it's no wonder there are problems around in various towns..

Annette- can understand where you're coming from regarding shopping by having it delivered.... never been one of my favourite occupations before all this started and it is safer...
Good luck with the decorating....
Hope you're getting sunshine today beyond 7am... it's beautiful here and was 18C at 8am this morning...long may it last.

Mowsehowse - pleased to hear you had an enjoyable day especially when you've been looking forward to it for such a long time.
I expect the children were all excited about being out and able to run round although not quite the place for it and lack of parental control these days seems to be the norm.... as you say in our day 'seen and not heard ' .
I love the lemurs they're such inquisitive creatures aren't they... the nearest zoo for us, where we take the boys is Hammerton Zoo and they have lots of lemurs there along with meerkats both of which the boys love along with the white tigers!

Sadly our day has come crashing down .... more later when I write today's (Fridays) diary....
Hope you all enjoy the sunshine today it's beautiful here...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 17 July 20 09:28 BST (UK) »
Oh Caroline.... no picnic?
Gutted for you.
Hang in there.  :-*
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Thursday 16th July
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 July 20 09:32 BST (UK) »
Phew, I'm worn out just reading it all! What a great job you're continuing to do with the sewing, it's amazing how many things you turn out on  day to day basis. Hope the picnic goes well tomorrow, you deserve a break.

By the way, I'm mystified as to what the click clack device is!  ???

Yes, I'll have to make it shorter...😀 Never been good at using one word when I have so many to choose from!
Looking forward to the picnic and going somewhere different!
Click clack devise for a wash basin replaces good old fashioned plug.... it's a solid disc that sits over the basin hole and you push it down to close enabling you to fill basin with water then to release you just push it again and it pops up thereby releasing the water... only it's stuck down!
Does that all make sense?

Caroline

I just meant that I'm in awe of how much you have done Caroline, please don't make it shorter, I enjoy reading it all.

Yes, your explanation of the click clack device is perfect. I have one in my basin and one in my bath, I call them plugs!  ;D
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 17 July 20 09:46 BST (UK) »
Glad someone enjoys reading my ramblings!

Yes picnic cancelled.... absolutely gutted wandering around like lost sheep now!
Youngest grandson, after weeks of all being well and now having been at school for last two weeks woke this morning with a raspy cough and temp up... so daughter didn't want to risk anything... their picnic all made last night and they'd both taken day off work... think they're looking into getting him tested just in case although he does from time to time suffer these upper respiratory infections. Poor chap.... he sounded fine but under the circumstances not worth risking everyone's health... 😭😭😭

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 17 July 20 09:48 BST (UK) »
Annette, re the Amazon delivery, if you download the Amazon app onto your tablet or phone it updates the tracking information constantly and tells you when the driver is about seven or eight stops away. I'm not a fan of downloading all the apps that we're being badgered to do but I do find this one useful.

Mowsehowse - glad you had such a good day at the zoo despite the unruly children. Reassuring that social distancing was being maintained and I suppose the ffact that it's outdoors made it a more relaxed atmosphere too.

RTL - how lovely to be able to get your grandson's outfit - a future career for him perhaps?  :)
What a shame you couldn't get your book, hope you can soon manage to pick it up. Hope people get used to the idea of how they're supposed to behave on public transport, unfortunately I think there'll always be the ones who just don't bother.

Caroline - very sorry your day out isn't going ahead. Hope you can enjoy the sunshine.

Hope your grandson proves negative and soon recovers, what a shame for you all.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 July 20 10:10 BST (UK) »
cawl

I think the term for shortening a passage  when I was at school was called PRECIS,I was never any good at that, I remember one lad copied out the whole model answer from the back of the book,  got 39/40, Miss Telpher never gave 40/40  never known before, he was soon up in front of the headmaster for using the model answer, so many years ago now but I still remember it

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 17 July 20 12:02 BST (UK) »
I ‘ll swap you your click clack for my click clack!
My bathroom washbasin one goes down but still the water runs out, not too quickly but run out it does.
I have tried adjustments but not much to adjust really.
Just another of life’s trials!! :(
At a loose end this morning ,waiting for number one son ,he say he come at one time but he arrive at another , Ah so!
Well he’s not here yet so sitting with a cuppa.
Cor!got some Yorkshire tea ,if anyone wants to dye their hair it should do the job very well as long as you like orange hair!
Only need  show it to the cup!
It is another contender for the Irn  Bru claim, — made from girders!
I like weak tea,but  even a short dunk and YT has asserted itself.
I have such pretty snail shells in my garden, they look like sweets.
Brown with yellow whorls, like banana and treacle toffees .
I ate a whole bar of the new Cadbury’s “Dark Milk“, firmly and arrogantly convinced it would be like the old Blended , not on your nelly, nothing like it!
What a disappointment ,I had to eat it all to get over myself!
Hasn’t Cadbury’s stuff changed for the worse since take over!
Well I will make some scones today when son has been and gone or he will come, sure as eggs , when I am doing them.
Did anyone watch The Yorkshire programmes, “ This Week on the Farm, “
and “ Our Yorkshire Farm”?, what super people .
Well son has been and gone , borrowed my garden vac, as they have gravel down now where there were paving blocks.
Hope everyone is well and able to get out a bit.
I have washing on the line, dull but sultry
weather so probably rain later .
Cheerio folks.
Keep Calm and Carry On !
As my OH said to me when moving in the last house,and the removal  men put  the big German overstrung piano down on a sloping road and it took a fancy for having a look round the town centre!
It did not get that far of course but it did roll some way.
Proper cheerio this time
Viktoria.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 17 July 20 12:13 BST (UK) »
Heavy couple of days in work so didn't post.  Came home on Wednesday to be accused of being stupid, lazy, a liar and accused of significant criminal activity so was tbh too upset to post.

Had a lazy day for Thursday, I know I don't deserve it. Had some fun selecting which photos would go on the family tree write up and explaining the photos to the wee one. Unfortunately when explaining where they'd been taken she got upset that she couldn't just go there.

Older daughter's first day back at group training, whole set of new rules to make it safe, the wee one got a bit bored waiting in the car but it was a short session so no time to go home and come back again.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others