Author Topic: James Arthur Fisher - Was he a Captain or not ?  (Read 3648 times)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Arthur Fisher - Was he a Captain or not ?
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 09:03 BST (UK) »
ShaunJ - I cannot access the two links you provide.  Why do you think having the baptism of the child will help ?

Christine53 - how did you manage to find the details on the daughter born to JAF and Mary Trevitt ? Was that just looking at births for the period they were married ?   I could send for the birth certificate but it looks as if you found the details anyway.

Do you think in all probability if not in 100% confirmation, that this James Annesley Fisher is the same person as the James Arthur Fisher in my family ?    Seems it is difficult to get 100% confirmation as he seems to live in a world of lies and deception.

If there were military papers for James Annesley Fisher and a description of his features / distinguishing marks and it said 'Circular scar on each shin' that would clinch they were one and the same.
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 09:24 BST (UK) »

Christine53 - how did you manage to find the details on the daughter born to JAF and Mary Trevitt ? Was that just looking at births for the period they were married ?   I could send for the birth certificate but it looks as if you found the details anyway.

Images of the baptism register are on ancestry :

Mary Annesley Fisher born 20 Aug 1916
baptised 14 Sep 1916 at Toxteth Park, St Andrew
father  James Annesley Fisher , Captain 6th Dragoon Guards
mother Mary
of Fulford Hall Earlswood Warwickshire

Edit : as for how I just searched for any instances of " Annesley Fisher" to see what jumped out.
It's always worth searching from all angles. Any small details may help in establishing where someone was at a particular time. As I mentioned in an earlier post in this case the address given matches that of James Arthur Fisher , Private 3rd Dragoons ,  stated on his discharge papers.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 09:36 BST (UK) »
As I mentioned in an earlier post in this case the address given matches that of James Arthur Fisher , Private 3rd Dragoons ,  stated on his discharge papers.

Similar signatures, same address, I think it is clear that Private James Arthur Fisher and Captain James Annesley Fisher are one and the same person.

If you are interested in trying to trace his granddaughter born 1953 (and possibly still living) I can provide details of daughter Mary's marriage, death and probate.

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 09:59 BST (UK) »
Christine53  - many thanks.

Shaun  -  oh yes please !
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 10:24 BST (UK) »
"The engagement is announced between John Ralph Briggs , son of Mr and Mrs J. Ingham Briggs, of  "Westwold", Blundellsands, Liverpool, and Mary Annesley Fisher only daughter of Mrs Mary Fisher , formerly of Aros, Isle of Mull, and now of Southport" (The Times and The Scotsman, 2 September 1948)

The marriage took place in Southport RD in 3Q 1949.

John Ralph Briggs died in 1975. Mary Annesley Briggs died in a nursing home in Woking on 17 July 1883. A death notice in The Times of 23 July 1983 names her daughter and two grandchildren. Will PM you the details.

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 11:41 BST (UK) »
ShaunJ   -  Many thanks for all information sent.    All the research experts, with all the resources and money manage to track down living relatives in the programme 'Long Lost Family' but doubtful if I can manage it !

Now at the risk of asking too much, you wouldn't be able to find James Arthur Annesley Fisher's death entry would you?   Of course, who knows what he was calling himself by the time of his death.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 16:44 BST (UK) »
"Fisher J A" listed as a juror in Kyambu District, Kikuyu Province, Kenya in April 1925: https://tinyurl.com/y6lx29mk

Also apparently listed in Kikuyu in the East African Red Books for 1922 and 1925:
http://www.europeansineastafrica.co.uk/_site/custom/database/default.asp?a=viewIndividual&pid=2&person=11856

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 17:20 BST (UK) »
I saw that entry on the East African website but there wasn't enough to prove it was him  -  I need a lot of convincing over FH findings !

It would be quite something if I did manage to make contact with one his descendants !

Do you know the tale about his younger brother, Francis (Frankie) Henry Bayliss Fisher, which people on this website helped me work out ?  There was a family tale from my father that his Aunt Charlotte Fisher had a son with someone other than her husband, who went into an institution, then as an adult, went into the Army and rose to Captain.   Well there was a small grain of truth in that tale !  I have typed up the findings, which if you were interested I would send but via e-mail.