Author Topic: REED/READ/REID family in Deptford  (Read 336 times)

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
REED/READ/REID family in Deptford
« on: Friday 24 July 20 11:39 BST (UK) »
My 4x great-grandmother was Hannah Reed, who was christened at St. Paul's Church, Deptford on July 14, 1805. Her parents were Daniel Reed, lighterman, and Elizabeth.

Daniel and Elizabeth had at least four more children; Henry in 1807, Daniel in 1808, Elizabeth in 1810 and another Daniel in 1813.

I haven't been able to find a marriage for Daniel and Elizabeth. The closest I can find is a Daniel Read and Elizabeth Lockwood who were married at Barking, Essex in 1798, but I don't think that is the correct couple. I can't find them in any census records, and I've found a few burial records that could be Elizabeth, but not for Daniel.

Daniel's occupation is given as lighterman/waterman in the christening records of his children, except for the youngest, Daniel in 1813, where his occupation is given as labourer.

In the "Thames Watermen & Lightermen 1688-2010" database on FindMyPast, there is a record for an apprentice Daniel Reed being bound to master Joseph Hoare on September 29, 1791 at Southwark St. Olave.

There are other Reed families living in the area and several of the men are lightermen, watermen and mariners. 'Daniel' is a particularly common name among them, as is Henry.

Does anyone have any advice on where to look for more information? It would be much appreciated.
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire