Author Topic: Diary > Sunday 26th July  (Read 501 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Sunday 26th July
« on: Sunday 26 July 20 23:33 BST (UK) »
Woke reasonably early, no bad dreams. My shopping friend had texted me last night, she urgently needed a form printed, was unable to print it herself and didn't know if the library would be open. Of course I was happy to print it for her, she called round for it this morning but wasn't able to stay and chat for more than a few minutes. It was good to see her anyway.

Did some domestic stuff then out for my walk, there were a number of people out, mainly dog walkers. Sun and clouds, a windy day, it was nice to be out, certainly blew the cobwebs away.

Had some lunch, was pleased (actually ecstatic!) to see NN's daughter had picked her up along with two of the visitors from yesterday who had presumably stayed overnight. Lockdown rules? What lockdown rules?!! It suited me fine as I was guessing it meant they'd be out of the way for quite some time.

Couldn't wait to get out in the garden, hung the washing out then made a start. I was able to remove a couple of the trellises and reposition, make a number of other alterations and hang a new trellis, hammered lots of nails in. It was so lovely being able to work undisturbed and I finally feel like I have some privacy and my garden is looking much better. It was getting windier but the sun was hot when it came out. Was dying for a cuppa so got my chair and Kindle out and had a rest. Did some weeding and tidying the passionflower that tries to take over the garden. Put a coat of yacht varnish on the bench (left over from when I varnished my yacht!). The bench doesn't look brilliant, more 'rustic' I'd say but it's not worth putting too much effort in on something that won't last much longer. Really enjoyed my peaceful afternoon in the garden.

Simple meal for tea, omelette, jacket potato, veg. Watched Simon Reeves in Greece, have seen it before, I prefer the less political programmes about Greece. I've travelled to a lot of places around the world but Greece and its people will always have a special place in my heart.

Tired tonight but it's been a good day, some rain forecast tomorrow.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Sunday 26th July
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 July 20 08:36 BST (UK) »
Glad to know you had a happy and productive day Roobarb.  Now the trellises are in position, does it seem like that will do the trick?  Your bench is probably looking fabulous... that is the third coat you have given it I think? It will last for years longer now I bet.
DIARY: Bliss!  Woke up at 07:00 to silence.... no yelling holiday makers, barking dogs and no shouty seagulls, magpies or sparrows.  A bright morning; looks like it could be quite a pleasant, if blustery day.
Put a load of washing in early, so it would be drying while we went over to Dawlish for a change. The season seems to be in full swing there, very busy and we couldn't find a good place to park, so we only had one hour.  Walked down one side of the river and then back up the other.  Lots of water fowl to see, and fluffy hatchlings.
A quiet afternoon reading etc; it seems to be very busy down here so we kept out of the way.
It is only about commerce in England now.  All hotels, pubs, restaurants and activities open, and I think no restrictions on who you visit, or where you sleep in England for the present, though with the surge in Spain I don't doubt we will be back to square one again in a few weeks.
Took a walk along the prom after tea.  It was grey and windy, therefore much quieter than earlier.
Watched Antiques Roadshow, and an episode of the IT Crowd, but went to bed early as football on TV again.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 July 20 11:33 BST (UK) »
Well I'm running really late.... started to write up last night but so tired I couldn't keep my eyes open! Thanks for your concern too Mowsehowse...

Roobarb-  Good to hear you had a good day, taking the opportunity whilst NN was out to do your DIY... hope you're happy with it all and it has the desired effect! I love Passion flowers they're so pretty.. I'm dying to know where your yacht is berthed! Glad you saw your shopping friend too if only briefly.

Mowsehowse- how lovely to wake up to silence... it's only then that you realise how much noise we are surrounded by...
It's been some time since I last went to Brixham, sad to hear you had trouble parking... shows people are back to normal though..

My day - finally!

Woke up early but too early to get up so sorted out last items on my shopping list.... another lot of wine out of stock so had to find something else..then read for a while..
Shower, hair wash and breakfast...
Got coffee, cake ready for our friends calling in..
Got whatsapp from them with a trace on so we could see where abouts they were and unlock the gate and get cushions out on the chairs!
It was lovely to see them.. they're very keen cyclists and unless the weathers not good they're out every morning and do about 20 miles ...
It was quite blustery sitting out ... they didn't stay too long as get stuff if sit down for too long mid cycle!
Not the usual start to our Sunday! After they'd gone had quick read of the Sunday papers that seem to get thinner every week with very little content to them. There's usually an article or two in the magazine but this week there was nothing that interested me... even the crossword this week had more clues I didn't know the answers too!
Decided that having not done the ironing yesterday I'd be better off doing that ... OH needs shorts... why is it always the pair in ironing or washing he wants when he's hot a draw full...
He's off to play golf in the a/noon.. VE cup which he won one year and has his name on the board in the club house...
Took me a while to finish ironing...
OH went off so a nice peaceful afternoon... sewing... I managed to get another 40 done so will have about 100 to deliver on Monday.
I like listening to the radio but can't believe how many programmers are repeated during the week...
 Not knowing what time he'd be home but guessing it would be about 8pm cooked some chicken which we'd have with salad...
He was very disgruntled when he came in...
poor round, club house bar closed by the time they'd finished and couldn't put in their score cards.... all consoled with few glasses of wine!
My dear friend who works at Gatwick phoned said they were busy, still only one terminal open and trying to run on existing staff and not bring back furloughed yet. Had about 20 flights in one day between 4.30am - 6.00 when she went off shift... don't know how she copes with shift work when we're same age.... circumstances dictate for her sadly.. always lovely to talk to her though...
Watched antiques roadshow, new series stated on BBC1 about India in 1959's...
so tired had to retire early ....

A busy day!

Hope the weather was kind to others too.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 July 20 12:27 BST (UK) »
RE my work yesterday, I think it should be effective, I've put plant membrane behind the trellises for two reasons - it will stop the plants growing through to NN's side and will block her view into my garden! She'll be desperate to see in now.  :D  I agree that the passionflowers are pretty but goodness me, it's such a thug.

Mowsehowse - your walk along the river sounds beautiful, what a shame you couldn't park for longer. I suppose that'll be how things are for some time now, hope you can manage to work around it.

Caroline - was wondering where you'd got to! Well done on another fantastic amount of sewing completed. Your friend's job at Gatwick sounds very stressful, not what you would wish for at a mature age. Hope you're well rested today.

We haven't heard from Annette for a couple of days, I hope she's not having too much trouble with her neighbour's son again.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 July 20 12:42 BST (UK) »
Annette did really well in the Trivia challenge yesterday, so I think she is ok.

Caroline you are amazing,,, you do the cleaning, ironing, baking, shopping, general housekeeping, counselling and you knock out 40 face coverings in a single afternoon.  I have been trying to estimate how long that might take me.  7 hours minimum at a push I suspect!  :-\
I reckon you deserve a medal.... or two.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 July 20 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone

Forgot to post Saturday but I'm fighting fit (ish).

Not really much to report - I procrastinate far, far too much.   I can talk myself out of anything.  Was hoping for a nice sit outside in the sun - what sun?  It never appeared.   Some neighbours who'd gone for a camping weekend were back when I got up - I know there was heavy rain forecast for where they were going and wondering whether they got washed out and decided to come home.  No doubt find out in due course. 

With no sign of the fence paint we wanted available anywhere were surprised to hear from Flat 1 neighbour that he'd seen it in B & M in town.   Kevin (no.3 and who is going to be doing the painting) decided to walk into town on Saturday and get some.   However, when he got there discovered it was actually for decking and not fences so walked on to Wilko - no Cuprinol products but they did have Ronseal in the shade that we want which was even cheaper so he got that instead.   I was concerned about him walking back from town with 2 heavy tins and he admitted he thought he'd have to have a rest halfway but didn't need to after all.

He made a start - there's 13 sections of fencing to do and he's done 5 today.   Looks even better than the Cuprinol paint used before.

No sign of other neighbours son so keeping finger crossed.   I heard that he was in Court (Cambridge - why there?) on Thursday for 4 other offences so don't know the result of that.  This court appearance is why he'd shaved off his beard and shaved his head.  Perhaps he's been detained??   Certainly no good fining him as he has no money.

My great-niece Sophia is 10 on Wednesday - she's tall and looks much older - and I'll be popping round to see her with card and prezzie.  Then on Thursday going to friend Julie's for birthday tea and presents.   Her actual birthday is 2nd August which she'll be spending with her family.  At the moment the met. office say it will be sunny Thursday and Friday - one can only hope.   They've got to get it right some time surely!

Started another jigsaw - seems to be an edge piece missing which is a bummer!!

Evening was just dinner, tv and jigsaw with an odd soduko or two.   Rivetting stuff, eh!

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 July 20 15:33 BST (UK) »
I so love reading all people different diaries.... were all so varied, which is perhaps a good thing... my OH says he can't think there would be another me around... apparently I'm like a whirlwind!   Less so these days sadly!.... not sure how to take that but after all these years it's water of a ducks back.

Annette - my OH used Cuprinol to do,our fences this year... not the same as it used to be as when one of the grandsons brushed against it it came off on this T shirt and it was a few weeks after he'd done it too... not a cheap product somthankfully only done on e in a few years... next door neighbours does his side which is pretty decent of him..
At least you can perhaps breath some sighs of relief regarding neighbours son for a while if he's up,in court... Cambridge seems a long way from you...  eager to me!
Good to hear you have some celebrations to look forward this coming week too...

Wonder where Viktoria is.... I love her posts too they always give me a smile.. if not a giggle and sometimes a laugh...

Well that's it for now
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 July 20 20:18 BST (UK) »
Glad to hear all is well Annette and enjoyable things planned this week. Kevin sounds a great neighbour, hope it's fine tomorrow for his fence painting.

Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham