Author Topic: Emigration  (Read 1118 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Emigration
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 July 20 14:13 BST (UK) »
Brief death notice for Mary Freeman - no clues here.

St. Louis Globe-Democrat St. Louis, Missouri 28 Jun 1916, Wed    Page 15
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/56298713/mary-freeman-28-june-1916/

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 July 20 14:48 BST (UK) »

I don't have the 1910 census

This would be Margaret and daughter Mary in 1910 census. Address is same as 1900 census, 520 East Marceau Street. Margaret's listed age is way off, but it's her and Mary.

1910 census: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M21N-J8B

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 July 20 15:39 BST (UK) »
St Louis, Missouri, City Directory, 1883- Daniel Freeman - lab - ss Haven nr 2d St Louis Missouri.

St Louis, Missouri, City Directory, 1885- Daniel Freeman - lab - 7900 Minnesota av St Louis Missouri.

St Louis, Missouri, City Directory, 1889- Daniel Freeman - lab - 317 E Davis StLouis Missouri.

St. Louis, Missouri Directories, 1890- Daniel Freeman - lab - r. 8220 Vulcan St Louis Missouri.

St Louis, Missouri, City Directory, 1891- Daniel Freeman - lab - 523 E Espenschied St Louis Missouri.

St Louis, Missouri, City Directory, 1895- Daniel Freeman - 523 Espenschied St Louis Missouri.

St Louis, Missouri, City Directory, 1899- Margaret Freeman - wid of Daniel  - 523 Espenschield St Louis Missouri.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We are who we are because they were who they were
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 July 20 09:48 BST (UK) »
Oh my goodness thank you both so much.  This is my first experience of emigration and I have been missing a trick not realising that I could find American info on familysearch, and would never have found the Directory entries.  Actually I think the 1910 census age for Margaret is much more likely to have been her true age as she had her last child in 1886 ....

I am still fretting about why Daniel and Margaret left two and a half year old Mary behind in Liverpool when they emigrated with their eighteen month old son John.  Why leave one child and take the other?  How do you decide which one to take?  Or am I putting too much of a 21st century spin on this?

Valerie
Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe
Staffs: Nutt, Bowring
Yorks: Holling, Fish, Kay, Hardy
Lincs: Plummer, Broughton, Wellbourne

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 30 July 20 09:52 BST (UK) »
Did they actually leave daughter Mary behind or is it just what the records seem to indicate?

If they did leave Mary it might be that she was sickly and they thought the trip too much until she was a bit stronger or that she became ill at last minute and have to join them later.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 30 July 20 10:01 BST (UK) »
According to the 1900 census Mary arrived in the US in 1888, Margaret in 1871 and the rest of the family in 1883.

Additionally, the 1900 census indicates that Mary couldn't read or write, but the other children could, which I felt added weight to her having been left behind.

I don't know for sure.  Next stage is to search passenger lists.

Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 30 July 20 10:44 BST (UK) »
Don't put to much emphasis on the immigration dates, we know from experience that birth dates and immigration dates may not be correct and very often there are anomalies.   Information on census can depend on who is giving the information,
Nothing showing on passenger lists to the USA or Canada so far.

Sandra

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 30 July 20 10:57 BST (UK) »
Is this your family?.

Ancestry Liverpool England Catholic Baptisms

St Michael, Liverpool Lancashire
Born 16 May 1881  baptism 10 Jul 1881
FREEMAN Maria  parents Daniel and Margaret FREEMAN (nee FLEMING)
Godparents Thomas MULREGH, Maria BRENNAN

St Michael, Liverpool Lancashire
Born 22 Sep 1882 baptism 29 Oct 1882
FREEMAN James Francis   parents Daniel and Margaret (nee FLEMING)
Godparents Francis ROCHE, Maria BRENNAN.

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 30 July 20 11:10 BST (UK) »
Yes, that's them.  (Note to self - who was Maria Brennan?)  I have a Daniel in mind and now that I think Margaret is a good bit older than she first appeared, think I have a good candidate for her too, but still need lots of help.

Now that I have got over the mental block of leaving a child behind and Margaret criss crossing the Atlantic I am wondering whether to start a new post, referring back to this one.  If so suggestions please which one would be best (Liverpool or Ireland or another) or should I carry on here?

Very many thanks
Valerie