Author Topic: Need a new printer  (Read 1011 times)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Need a new printer
« on: Thursday 30 July 20 08:57 BST (UK) »
Our printer (which could also copy and scan) has died and we need to replace it with similar.

We don't do a great deal of printing, in fact, we can sometimes go for several weeks without printing anything, but when we need to print something we'd like it to be reasonable quality (black and white, and colour). We don't print photographs. 

So, we probably don't want to spend a fortune on the printer itself or the ink cartridges it will consume.  Can anyone give me some pointers as to the good, bad or ugly on what's out there, please?

Thanks
STG
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Need a new printer
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 July 20 09:05 BST (UK) »
If you don't do much printing see http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ps2/ Their printers are reasonable.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 July 20 09:27 BST (UK) »
If you don't do much printing see http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ps2/ Their printers are reasonable.

Stan

Oooh!  So say we opted for the £1.99/month (i.e. less than £24/year) deal, that would give us more than enough printing capacity and be cheaper than buying the ink cartridges ourselves.  Right?

Offline TinaRoyal

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 July 20 10:17 BST (UK) »

I have a H.P. ENVY 4520 printer.  You can’t get them now, they’ve been replaced by the 5020 which cost £49.99 from Curry’s.  As well as printing Black and White and Colour, it also Photocopies and Scans.  Because it has WiFi it allows you to print from anywhere in the house and from any device.

I also use the HP Instant Ink option which costs me £1.99 a month to print up to 50 pages a month, and carry forward the number of pages not printed.  I have never run out of ink as H.P. monitor my usage and send new ink cartridges before needed.  I find using H.P. cheaper than buying cartridges.

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 July 20 10:32 BST (UK) »
Mine is a HP Envy 5640 series -I just buy the ink cartridges, I can go for weeks before I print anything.  HP notices when I change the ink cartridges, and am asked if I want to claim rewards.

I do print photographs from the mobile, but not ones from the camera, those go to the print shop.

Been happy with the printer.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 July 20 11:00 BST (UK) »
The IT man who fixes our laptops etc. said HP are the best printers to get, because when they clean after printing, they actually clean the printer head too (or something like that), whereas all other printers don't do that so the printer head eventually gets clogged up, which is why they tend to need replacing more often.

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 July 20 14:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much everyone.

HP it is then.  :)

STG

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 July 20 22:28 BST (UK) »
Recently bought an Epson XP-3100 Wi-Fi. Didnt cost much. What I liked is that it prints both sides by default saving paper and it also lets me print directly from my phone iphone se. Scans and copies pretty good and it is a pretty small footprint. And my daughter can print using wifi from her laptop at kitchen table when she drops in.
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 August 20 15:32 BST (UK) »

Have a new printer HP Envy 6000 series ;D So far so good,filled in the bit for the  "Instant Ink" free trial,but after adding "delivery details" for the ink , just keeps refusing to accept the form,saying details are not complete,I do not have a mobile phone so cannot fill in a number,is that the problem?

Application needs to be within 7 days so am running out of time,any ideas?

Kim