Author Topic: Isaac Cook died in 1870 in Hob Hill Mine Saltburn  (Read 423 times)

Offline greasey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isaac Cook died in 1870 in Hob Hill Mine Saltburn
« on: Thursday 30 July 20 17:48 BST (UK) »
My ancestor Isaac Cook was buried on the 20th November 1870 in Skelton and it says on his burial killed in Hob Hill Mine aged 36.  If anyone could give me any information on how he died in the mine if it was an accident I would be grateful, or if there are any records of an inquest too.

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Cook died in 1870 in Hob Hill Mine Saltburn
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 July 20 19:46 BST (UK) »
Newcastle Courant 10th July 1870

Fatal accident at Hob hill Iron Stone Mines.
A fatal accident occurred at Hob Hill Iron Stone Mines on Friday morning. It appeared that for some time past a number of men have been employed barring iron stone at the south side of the Hob Hill Mines. On the morning in question, a gang of ten men were engaged at a particular point, when suddenly a great fall of clay earth took place, and three of the men were buried under the loose earth. A batch of other workmen commenced at once to clear away the debris, and happily two of the men were extracted from there perilous position almost uninjured, but one poor fellow when got out was quite dead. His body was taken to the dead house at Marske. The deceased, who was apparently about thirty five years of age, was married, and leaves a family. His name is unknown.

John

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 July 20 19:54 BST (UK) »
Sorry, typed this up and posted before realising dates were wrong. Nothing later date wise in 1870

John

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 July 20 20:13 BST (UK) »
Sounds as though Hob Hill Mine wasn’t a very safe place to work - 2 fatalities in 4 months😳
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile