Author Topic: Diary > Thursday 30th July  (Read 394 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Thursday 30th July
« on: Thursday 30 July 20 23:23 BST (UK) »
It was raining when I got up this morning and by the look of the puddles on the road it had been for some time. It stopped raining shortly after but it stayed very cloudy and that was how it was for the rest of the day. Had a shower and washed my hair before my first cup of tea, I usually need plenty of tea as soon as I get up.

Off out for my walk, it was pleasantly warm but there weren't many people about. The field was pretty wet but it was dry through the woods, walked along the walkways at the back of the houses for a change. When I got home NN was on the drive at my other neighbours' house, I just looked the other way as I came in. The hem of my jeans and my socks were soaking so changed them.

Had some lunch, did some Rootschatting then went into the garden. The very noisy children who visit one of my neighbours were there. I know children are often noisy but these don't seem to have a volume switch! They always shout at the tops of their voices and scream a lot. These things seem so much more noticeable these days when it's been such a lot quieter, it makes me wonder whether I'll have difficulty coping in noisy environments when things go back to normal.  I had planned to cut the back lawn, the sound of the mower drowned the noise out and they all left shortly after. Not as a result of my mowing!
Edged the lawn, checked on my cuttings and fished out some plant food from the garage and watered the pots with the mixture, also some of the plants in the garden itself. Although the sun didn't show its face all day it was still nice enough to sit out and read my Kindle so relaxed for a while. Another fighter jet flew overhead, we've had a few lately, I know there were previously Tornadoes doing night exercises over the sea, not sure what sort the daylight ones were.

Fish for tea with jacket potato, mushy peas and tomatoes. I don't use mushy peas very often and when I had them last I used part of the tin then froze the rest so I used them up today. Blueberries and yoghurt to follow.

Watched Saving Lives at Sea, an episode I've seen before. Made me think of the reports I read on the last two weekends, the first one there was a large van stuck on the beach near the town then the tide came in and it was stranded in the sea, heaven knows what they were up to. The second weekend there was a car stuck on the beach nearer to me, someone commented online that they'd seen a car flying along the beach near the town as if it was Daytona beach, right near the areas where a lot of children play.  Absolute idiots. Seems it was the same car that got stuck in the sand further along, I hope it rendered the car useless. Fortunately the RNLI weren't called to assist in cases like this, it's usually the fishermen that end up pulling them out with their tractors.
Also watched previously recorded Wonders of the Coast Walk, which was in Wales, and Secret Mediterranean.

Hope it's been a good day for everyone, no doubt sunnier than mine!

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Thursday 30th July
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 July 20 23:41 BST (UK) »
Your garden must be so beautiful Roobarb, and what a joy for you to have something to lavish time upon.  I am finding children a whole lot noisier I think.  I decided it was because I am getting old and cranky, but maybe they genuinely don't have a volume switch these days!! ;)
Diary:
A stunning morning, barely any breeze and the water was like glass, people swimming before 07:00.  Took a drive out to Stover Park to walk round the lake and nature reserve there.  Missed the turn and ended up driving around in a large circle.  In the process discovered several new housing estates which extend villages or destroyed green field sites.  Very disappointing to learn so much of the Devon countryside is being built on!
Found the entrance to Stover eventually, and strolled around the lake enjoying the scenery and wildlife. That took about 1/2 an hour, so we went round again, and then stopped at Trago Mills for a coffee, choosing the less busy option.
Back for a late lunch and then SiL visited.
Had a phone call with the company who arranged our holiday tour for later this year.  They are willing to re-arrange for 2021, and we will probably accept that option.
Big drama when the air ambulance landed in the park, next to the beach. They were there for nearly a whole hour, but did not bring a casualty back to the helicopter as far as we are aware. Nothing on the local news about it. 
Walked along the prom after tea, and watched Emma on TV.

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 July 20 23:56 BST (UK) »
Roobarb - Sorry to hear you didn't have the sunshine today.... I'm not going to gloat as I know what it's like to see just cloud even if it's warm but our temps got up to 27C this afternoon.... clear blue sky just like the early lock down days,.. sadly after tomorrow it's all going to change!
You certainly had a productive day outside. I know what you mean about getting used to quiet and when it is noisy you certainly notice! After all our problems with the motor bikes it's been quite quiet .... coukd be something to do with police presence I think either van with a camera it actual piloce.
Well who ever it was with the van on your beach I agree with you and hope it's now useless to drive...
Mowsehowse - your weather sounds lovely today ... good to have a walk somewhere different too.... Trago Mills that brings back memories of visiting Cornwall in our early days... Falmouth in particular!
Good to hear despite air ambulance being there no one whisked away!

My day

Got up quite early as I knew it was going to be warm and I really needed to give the house a clean.... O.H went off to golf and after I'd sat outside to eat breakfast, put washing on I dragged myself inside to get on with it!
Had a message saying they were right out of blue men's and boys f coverings so quickly, whilst discussing along with another person we sorted out what we'd do and by the time the conversation was over I'd cut out 18! Never like to be idle!
Got on with cleaning... it's always satisfying when it's done and always tell myself I'll do it more regularly and then it won't be such a chore... always do bathrooms and kitchen regularly but dusting elsewhere not a priority!
By the time I'd finished it was lunchtime so sat outside... it was lovely but getting pretty hot..
As I'd said I'd get these coverings done I got on with it!
OH home from golf completely shattered... he's not keen on playing in the heat despite the early start... he rested... had a nap I suspect whilst I got on with the sewing...
Finished them all and quick count up had 65 assorted sizes, styles and colours to give...
messaged and agreed to meet at 6.30... off to deliver and collect more elastic!
Shower, hair wash and we had BBQ chicken and salad and a large glass of wine which I felt I deserved! Sitting outside the air was warm and so still not a breath... once O.H had watered it was surprising how much cooler it felt.
Once inside caught up with new programme of Escape to the Chateau all filmed by them and helping other folks with projects... they're always so enthusiastic... wonderful life for their young children too...
Then watched programme about Princess Royal, who turns 70 in September. I've always liked her as she's quite forthright and keeps herself pretty private...
And so to bed... looking forward to a chat with our son in the morning not spoken to him for a while... it's always me that suggests it and he always says that would be great.... one day he'll surprise me and ask me! Think that's boys... well he's hardly that now ...45 in Sept!

Hope it's been a good day for others too..

Caroline

Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 July 20 02:18 BST (UK) »
Had another good nights sleep and woke to a gloriously sunny day.   A bit of Rootschat then a shower and got ready to go to Julie's for a pre birthday tea.   Wore a sundress for only the second time this year.   All 4 of us were in 'sunny' garb.   As with Mary's birthday tea we had dainty sandwiches, scones with jam and cream, and my brother in law had baked a lemon drizzle cake for her.   Yummy!

Then it was cards/prezzies and she was overjoyed with everything.  After we just sat in the sun enjoying it while we can, chatting and generally having a laugh.   Got home around 7pm and before I went up to my flat I watered the pots because I knew I wouldn't want to do it later.

Wasn't really hungry but thought I ought to have something.   Still had a scotch egg in the fridge so decided to have that with a few french fries from the freezer.   No wine left so had a glass of peach schnapps instead.   

Quite hot in the flat tonight but worth it to have had such a lovely sunny day.   Supposed to be the same tomorrow although rain at night. 

Getting together with family or friends makes it almost seem like 'normal' again until you spot people in face masks and it all comes back.

The past 2 days have certainly been good ones for me - seeing special people and enjoying the sunshine of which there's been a decided lack in recent weeks here in Suffolk.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 July 20 21:11 BST (UK) »
Mowsehowse, sounds like it was a beautiful day down your way. I do find it sad that a lot of the countryside is being spoilt by endless house building, it makes me wonder who is buying all these properties. Good news that you managed to get your holiday rearranged.

Caroline, you're a one woman factory! What an amazing amount of sewing you turn out on a daily basis. As for the dusting, don't write in it and no-one will notice it.  :D

Annette, good to hear you enjoyed the tea party and had such a lovely day for it. You seem to get a lot of similar weather to that we get here (although not on Thursday), perhaps its because we both live on the eastern side of the country. The North sea certainly has a big influence on our weather.

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales