Author Topic: Diary > Saturday 1st August  (Read 1108 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Saturday 1st August
« on: Saturday 01 August 20 22:24 BST (UK) »
A brief one from me:

Nice morning, pleasantly warm, walk as usual. All downhill after that, NN caused a load of trouble and nastiness that I won't go into.

Look forward to reading about everyone else's day, hope it's been a good one. (Don't worry folks, I'm okay  :) )
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Saturday 1st August
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 August 20 22:35 BST (UK) »
Why can't your NN leave you alone?, you have as far as I understand you tidied up your garden for her benefit as for yours , I think you need to completly ignore her for your own sanity

Louise Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 August 20 22:41 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately on this occasion (or actually occasions) it was impossible to ignore her Louisa Maud, much as I would have liked to. Thank you for your concern.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 August 20 22:55 BST (UK) »
My neighbour can be very difficult, we had a new fence, cost us hundreds, for her privacy as well as ours, she had to stand in her garden arguing about an  inch difference in our fence to her patio, we were replacing exactly the same but a 6ft fence, I prefer to deal with her husband,I wouldn't mind but I have done numerous favours, now I think, no more favours, so we sometimes have music and noise but not constantly, other evenings you would never believe anyone lives there, but now the have a barking dog,  sometimes I think I should live in the country  with peace and quiet.

So I have every sympathy with you

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 August 20 00:03 BST (UK) »
Soooo sorry Roobarb your NN has been difficult today... I bet you just feel like hitting her over the head with something... hard to ignore I'm sure but please try not to let it get you down... life's to short!
We are all thinking about you and with some concern as being on your own you've no one to share and chew over what's been going on... we're here for you as always...
LM... don't be under the impression that living in the country automatically means it's quiet... it's not... in fact probably more people have dogs and they can be just as irritating noise wise as anywhere else! There are 11 dogs in our surrounding houses... by and large they're ok... one house has a newish one that does  tend to bark quite a bit at the moment but hopefully with training that won't last! 🤞.

My day

A fitful nights sleep as it was very warm... woken about 7.30 by next door emptying stuff into their bin which stands along our fence... they are particularly noisy doing this often 7 -8 times in 5 minutes! 😤😤 then he starts whistling... what at that time in the morning! They've been away all week and it's been lovely and quiet.. awake now! Read for some time then up for breakfast... OH already up outside watering as he didn't do it last night..
Phoned my old school friend back as I'd missed her call last night and we had a good old natter... she lives in Hampshire they've got 12 acre small holding so lockdown has given them the chance to do lots of jobs... they've got 4 children and 7 grandchildren who they've missed not seeing but over the last 10 days they've had visits from each family in turn... they're exhausted... said if we wanted a change of scenery they'll be around all of August... be lovely but not too sure... although they are miles from anywhere and only seen family... we'll see!
Thought I ought to finish face coverings I'd promised daughter and said I'd do a couple to send to son in Oz... why did I do that... must be bonkers...
Time for lunch... sat outside,..
 did some dead heading and veg picking.... more courgettes.. I can see another cake having to be made!
Picked blueberries too, had one lot already... last year we missed out as birds got to them first... this year they're covered with a netted frame so we get to eat them instead.. more raspberries and they are whoppers this year. More beetroot ready to cook...
The Rose we having growing along one of the fences... never sure the difference between a rambler and a climber... think it's a climber, bright pink, thornless variety with a wonderful scent... this is second flowing and over the last couple of days there are so many blooms on it unbelievable... only trouble we get is black spot on the leaves despite OH spraying it regularly... I just take them off clear away from surrounding soil ...
Decided to cut out next lot of face coverings... then we started a game of scrabble...interrupted by daughter ready for Zoom...
They all looked well and tanned... had lovely time only two days of wet weather but that didn't bother them! There was indoor and out door pools latter heated to 30C tennis courts, in and out badminton courts... you booked your time so no other families using at the same time... sounded very nice. Spent two days on the beach had boat trip from Dartmouth.. limited numbers had to book and wore face coverings. They stayed away from towns other that the one trip and took picnics every day...
Hopefully she will be coming up with the boys to stay for a couple of nights in a couple weeks time...
By the time we'd finished chatting it was time for shower and dinner... BBQ steak and vegs... sat outside for a while then watched some tv...

Weather was warm today up to about 24C which is definitely more bearable than yesterday!

Listening to the radio today now talking about a trade off with closing pubs to enable schools to open in September... according to one scientist... seems quite an extreme measure to possibly have to take but I know which I'd prefer they did!
Well that's all for now folks.... hang in there everyone... it's getting tough again I feel ... for those of us who've stuck to the requests it seems harsh we're likely to be penalised because of the moron brigade... less said the better or I could go in to full rant 😤😤 I'll just stick to my face covering sewing and wear one whilst doing it to keep me quiet.... and if you'd listen to any of my friends they'd say impossible to keep her quiet 🤣🤣

Caroline

PS - just realised we never did finish the scrabble.... so looks like battle will commence tomorrow then!
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 August 20 08:06 BST (UK) »
Roobarb, I am sorry to hear that you have had more upset from your neighbour.  I do really feel for you about what you are having to endure.  You come across as a resilient person though who always manages to keep busy so I hope you will be able to distract yourself with other things and crowd out thoughts of her from your mind.

Caroline, you and husband are very fortunate in having this veg and fruit area in your garden.  How wonderful to be self sufficient in this way and to enjoy the work of all your labours. 
Re: sewing - you are doing some amazing work in helping countless people using this skill.  I think I am one of many who admires how you have taken on this sewing role - you certainly are one of life's doers!  I am sure your daughter and son will appreciate your handiwork too.
On one of the newspaper front pages yesterday I saw they offering readers a pretty mask with a terms and conditions apply.  From what I see around me I think masks are now fast becoming a fashion item for some these days.

My diary:

Woke up early and did a catch up on some housework.  Son rang and said something had come up (nothing to worry about though) so they wouldn't be able to come over as planned today.  I feel a bit like the wind has been taken out my sails at the thought of not seeing them.  I had been picturing my Grandson's smiling face as he walked up the path keen to get baking again.  Oh well!  In the afternoon I think of jobs I could do/should do but I decide to take a break to go on RootsChat instead.
In the evening, I find myself thinking about the various news stories about more spikes/second waves and Boris proposing more clamps/lockdowns if necessary.  It is all quite depressing to contemplate.  I feel very tired and went to sleep early.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 August 20 08:32 BST (UK) »
As Caroline says, living in the country is a blessing, but can be extremely noisy.
The tide is fully in as I type, but I can hear dogs barking from somewhere.  People drive for miles to exercise their dogs on the beach. 
We get a lot of noise from power craft on the water too, and the relief from coaches who block the road, (engines running and fumes dispersing,) to admire the view is noticeable this year. 
People even move bedrooms if they are able, to escape the racket from breeding seagulls.
You get the picture!
But [Roobarb/Annette/ Louisa and Viktoria's son,] that doesn't take away the frustration of having inconsiderate, or downright nasty people over the fence, and I truly do sympathise, though ear plugs might be the only answer.
I can imagine how desperately disappointed you were to miss your visit yesterday RTL, I expect the little fella was too, but enjoy your leisure time as much as you can RTL, and stoke up your reserves for the next onslaught of shifts.
I have made a banner saying "GO Caroline" to hang out of the window later around Scrabble time!!  ;)
Nothing to report from yesterday other than masses of martins feeding above the lakes yesterday evening.
Have a good day All.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 August 20 08:52 BST (UK) »
RTL - When you are looking forward to seeing someone... especially the little ones it does make you feel rather deflated.... I know just how you felt... hopefully they'll be up soon to see you...
As Mowsehowse says have a good rest before taking on the next lot of challenging shifts..
Thankyou too for your kind words about my sewing... it's always been my life ( apart from OH & kids of course 😀) and I'm so thankful in these times to be of some help and to feel useful...
We've always grown our own veg.. OH used to have an allotment but when we moved here we had more than enough space... daughter takes after her dad and they grow all theirs too in their small garden in Ealing! Good for the boys and they love it.

Mowsehowse- I can imagine that living in a lovely place by the sea can most definitely have its down sides and I'm sure during lockdown you were able to enjoy it all in peace and calm it must have been wonderful.... who knows if this will come about again especially with so many people flocking to beaches...
Thanks for your confidence in my scrabble skills... I am currently winning but another day and the tide could turn.... we shall see 🤞
Hoe you get to enjoy your day too...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 August 20 09:28 BST (UK) »
Shielding officially ended!

I can go out a little bit more and I can even go into a shop and not be totally reliant on friends for everything. Mind you on doctor’s orders I have been going out more the last month or so. I’ve lived alone for 48 years and have never been as lonely as I have been this last 131 days.

I live in a north west coastal town but few of my walks have been anywhere down the sea front. I’ve occasionally driven down the coast road to see the sea not that I’ve always achieved that ambition. Not many places have a long pier of which about half of it is over land!

I’ve worn a mask even just in our garden for months and have now solved the question of getting glasses, hearing aids and mask on, use a paper clip to join the elastic under your ears and under your hair. I imagine it’s the same idea as the crotcheted pieces with buttons people were making for medical staff.

This afternoon I meet a friend for coffee, until 3 Sundays ago she came to me and we sat on the patio for the coffee even wrapped in rugs on occasion. It’s just wonderful doing to now do something normal.