Author Topic: 18th Regiment of Foot  (Read 217 times)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
18th Regiment of Foot
« on: Monday 03 August 20 13:23 BST (UK) »
I'm looking to see if there are any available records for men serving with this Regiment.

Specifically I have an Isaac Beardsworth. a Private with the 18th Foot who appears on a single page in  the Judge Advocate General's Office listing of District Court Marshalls 1863 - 1864. The entry dated September 17th 1863 has him held at Trimulgherry.

I can see in an entry with the British Library that there was an encampment there, near Hyderabad, which held about 5000 troops.

Is there any other resource which might give some idea of what he was doing there and what he was charged with?

Many thanks

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 18th Regiment of Foot
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 August 20 14:16 BST (UK) »
The only record appears to be the 1861 census which places him in Secunderabad with the 18th Foot.  Discharge papers, which would likely have some detail, tend to survive only for men who served a full term to pension.  (See 3.1 of https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/british-army-soldiers-up-to-1913/)

As he doesn't appear in 1851 or 1871 and there appear to be no papers for him, it doesn't look as if he served such a term.

Many units of the British Army were stationed in India, particularly following the Mutiny (or rebellion depending on your point of view) of 1857. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Army_during_the_Victorian_Era

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
Re: 18th Regiment of Foot
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 August 20 14:38 BST (UK) »
Many thanks MaxD

That answers the question - he wasn't in fact our Isaac!

Regards

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson