Author Topic: Diary > Wednesday 5th August  (Read 508 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Wednesday 5th August
« on: Wednesday 05 August 20 22:31 BST (UK) »
When I woke this morning I was convinced it was late so I forced myself to wake up properly and found it was actually quite early. Went for my walk earlier than usual, onto the field by the entrance at the end of my road, usual route through woods, down the narrow path, same way back to the field then along the walkway behind the houses and round onto the road, back to my house from the other end of the road. A bit of a change and hopefully throw nosy neighbour off the scent. It was very cloudy and quite windy but pleasantly warm out.

Was hungry early so had lunch. Brought the recycling bins back in and sterilised the handles then unloaded the top soil I bought yesterday from the car and put it in the garage. The soil that is, not the car! Despite the bags being small it's pretty heavy. Set about cutting the turf from where I'd marked out the widening of the border, there's a limit to how much I can put in the garden waste bin as they won't take it if it appears to be full of soil so I'll have to store a lot of it in the garden till I can dispose of it gradually. I dug where I could into the underlying soil and put some top soil onto the bits I'd done. Transferred my Red Hot Poker from a pot into the new bit and gave it a lot of water. There's still quite a way to go but I had to stop myself before I overdid things, it's heavy work. Had peace in the garden for quite a while but of course NN had to come out at some point and make her presence known by doing something right next to the fence. Despite enjoying doing my garden I was feeling agitated today about recent events and asking myself how I'll be able continue dealing with what feels like being continually stalked.
Put my tools away and sat in the garden reading for a while. A light aircraft had been flying round and round the area for some time. The sun finally showed its face a little at about 4.30.

Spoke to my friend whose husband died at the start of the pandemic, it's her birthday tomorrow, it's going to be verystrange for her. It's been a hard time for us all but so much more for her. Some friends are doing a party in her garden for her.

Have been watching the programme about the Van Tulleken twin brothers (both doctors) and their experiences of Covid. One went to work in the hospital, the other had caught Covid and had some effects that they didn't know whether or not were attributable to the virus.  A very interesting although heart rending programme. I couldn't have watched anything like this a few weeks ago.

Over to you.......
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Wednesday 5th August
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 August 20 00:04 BST (UK) »
My goodness you have had a busy day... I'm feeling exhausted just reading what you've been doing....
Glad to hear you're trying to throw NN off course! Well done 🙂

Attempted to read last night as have a new book download from the library site for our book Club read.... which is next week... better get my skates on!
But I was tired after our day out and soon fell asleep... woke up quite late...after breakfast did some clearing up and cleaning in the kitchen...
booked a shopping c n c for Monday of next week put bottle of champagne in the basket for the min £40 as need to make a list.... must remember to take it out!...
Wandered down the village to drop of village lottery winnings...
Beautiful gladioli I bought last week as a reminder of the flowers Mum had decorating the house on our wedding day were now looking very sad and destined for the compost heap...
Doorbell goes... send O.H to answer it as I'd got soggy flowers in my hands...
'Are you expecting any flowers.. he says
No I say... thinking well some from you would have been nice... but after 47 yrs not a priority
Who are they from... addressed to both of us
Sent from our dearest oldest friends they're from Bloom & Wiid... letterbox flowers... white and pink roses, astramerias, snap dragons, little white Daisy's once in the vase with the plant food soon perk up and such a lovely thought... quite cheered me up... quick call to say thankyou and sent her photo so she could see what they looked like..
OH went off to the hospital for his appointment to have 24 hr monitor fitted... not very comfortable thing to wear but hope it's going to show up the problem...
Sorted out birthday cards for SiL and friend whose birthdays are next week, nephews too but will send him an ecard as in Singapore... son and wife's 10th anniversary same day as SiL's bday but will ecard them too... they don't celebrate as actual wedding was in March not August( Aug one done for her parents benefit as none of us got to NZ... long story too boring...
Decided to get on with more face coverings...
Some nice pics of FB of staff at Papworth in scrubs and 200 gathered together for special unit dealing with children who have complex problems.. finally scrubs sent out to Uganda along with loads face coverings for a multi variety of different places..very satisfying
OH sorted dinner just spaghetti sauce and pasta and veg..
Watched some tv... new series called Barkskins based on book by Annie Proulx. .... (she of The Shipping News fame) read the book interested to see it on screen...
OF course because OH wearing monitor not had much activity... unlike the last 6 months when it occurs daily multiple times.... Hope it does as it's going to be waste of time and they need to get to bottom of it...
He was playing golf tomorrow but decided not to... hospital said he should to see how it affects him when active...
Not much achieved today really... weather was pleasant but very windy... going to hibernate on Friday as looks like high temps again.

Hope everyone else has had a good day...
Take care

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 August 20 01:57 BST (UK) »
Woke up to glorious sunshine forecast to be sunny all day.   However, a lot of cloud appeared late morning and rest of the day was a mixture of sun and cloud plus very windy.

One of my many jobs that I ought to be doing is completing 2 family trees that I am doing for 2 friends of my sister.  Picked up the reins of one of them - had already typed up trees in Excel and thought I'd done all of them.   Wrong!   One outstanding, surname White in London!   You can imagine how hard this is once you get back beyond civil registration and census.   Spent all afternoon researching and didn't get very far at all so have conceded defeat.   Now to type up tree and then it's a case of printing off all the relevant census and any other snippets relating to the various families involved that I may find. 

Was notified that Hermes would be delivering a parcel between 12 and 2 - was waiting for doorbell to ring but eventually heard something being put through the letter box and that was the parcel.   Contained a new bra and a t-shirt in quite a large bag.   If it had been me delivering I certainly wouldn't have thought of trying to get it through a letter box.   Hermes driver obviously thought they could and succeeded.

Salad and pork pie for dinner although not really hungry.   Once again watched some George Gently, followed by New Tricks.

So, a lot of printing to be done by me now but can't promise it will be tomorrow.  Have made a start  anyway.

Annette     
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 August 20 08:19 BST (UK) »
Well done Roobarb - that is a good start.  As to the ongoing situation I think you must also consider altering your perspective.  It seems her behaviour is pitiful, but she will not change what she is doing, all you have left is to change your reactions to it. 
Annette, sounds like  you are having an absorbing time with family history research. A good way to fill the days.  I am doing that too.
Typical that in a hospital setting the medics don't see what happens on every other day Caroline; the monitor should reveal all, providing H continues to behave in his usual pattern. But a difficult time for you both.  Hopefully you are a step nearer to the situation being resolved.
I watched the Chris & Xand programme too. Heart breaking to have to stand by while that is happening to your identical twin I imagine. 
It rained here all day.

Viktoria, Have just seen about poor little FH and his accident.... trust he is getting over it now.

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 August 20 11:56 BST (UK) »
Caroline, how lovely to have flowers sent to you, how thoughtful of your friends. Hope they can sort things out for your OH, it must be very worrying.

Annette, it's amazing what things they manage to fir through the letterbox lately! Hope the items fit.

Mowsehowse, thank you, I think you're a very wise lady.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 August 20 18:14 BST (UK) »
Annette you have been busy with the family trees... hope you've managed to get on with the printing then trying to piece it all together!
Always exciting when anything comes through the post these days!

Thanks for your concern Roobarb and Mowsehowse.... only time will tell!
Must catch up with Xand & Chris like the programmes they do together..

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK