Author Topic: Signatures on certificates  (Read 1260 times)

Offline AddictedtoFamilyTree

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Grandad <3
    • View Profile
Signatures on certificates
« on: Thursday 06 August 20 14:33 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'm not new, but wasn't sure where to put this post and thought here might be the best place. I've been going back through the records I have for my Great Grandma and her parents with a criticial eye to check everything I've got so far is correct, as far as I can be certain at least. One thing has jumped out at me today, which I've never noticed before...

Mary Jane Bailey marries George Henry Roberts in the parish of St Stephens, Hulme on 25th May 1884. They both sign their names, hers isn't great... Mary is ok, then it goes a bit wobbly. She's 17 and has no profession. Her father is listed as William Bailey, doesn't say he is deceased although I believe he was, not sure if this was a consent issue if she was 17? I haven't identified either of the witnesses to the marriage either.

On 8th June 1884 Mary Jane Roberts gives birth to Georgina Roberts and registers the birth on 29th July 1884. In the box on Georgina's birth certificate that says signature, description and residence of informant there is an X which says mark of Mary Jane Roberts.

Now I've had a quick look at a couple of other birth certifcates I've scanned in on to my tree and I can't see a noticeable difference in the hand writing on this section - they aren't original copies but I do remember signing my daughter's. If she's not very literate could it just be that she can't spell her newly married surname? Or could it be something else? I'll add attachments in a mo...

Thank you
Frost, Quine, Stowell, Atherton, Gill.

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Grandad <3
    • View Profile
Re: Signatures on certificates
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 August 20 14:36 BST (UK) »
Marriage certificate...

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Grandad <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 August 20 14:37 BST (UK) »
Georgina's birth certificate...

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 August 20 15:05 BST (UK) »
It's possible she had not had a chance to practice her new signature. Another possibility is the Registrar simply asked her to make her mark and she complied, I believe this often happened.

I have found perfectly literate people making their mark, one woman signed on her first marriage and made an X on her second marriage.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 August 20 15:22 BST (UK) »
A the marriage it is not unusual for no occupation of the bride to be entered - infact it is unusual to find an occupation listed

Sometimes a bride would sign if she could but would just make her mark if her husband was unable to sign

Most probably she did not sign her daughters birth certificate for the reasons Jebber gave

Have you noticed on the same page as Georgina's baptism there is this
Alfred Bailey born 24 Aug 1884 baptised 10 Sept 1884 Parents William Bailey & Mary Ann address 74 Bradshaw St father's occ hosepipe weaver

as they lived on the same road as George Henry and Mary Jane did when they married I wondered if they were related to Mary Jane
It seems Alfred's mother was b Ireland -so I wondered if there might be a connection between her and witness James Delahumty  as this seems to be mainly an Irish name
Just guessing of course !!

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 August 20 15:27 BST (UK) »
I wondered about the signature when I looked at it last night. George and Mary's signatures on the marriage cert look as if they are in the same hand  :-\
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gaie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • CenInf Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 August 20 15:30 BST (UK) »
Hi

One of my ggg grandmothers signed at her marriage (pre-registration times, beautiful signature).  By the time of her sixth child in August 1837 she made her mark on her one and only daughter's birth certificate.

The certificate was dated the day after birth - I had always put it down to exhaustion !!!   ;D   ;D

Gaie
Sussex, Burwash/Somerset/South London: PANKHURST/FABLING/GREEN/KING/PARROT/POPE/PEMBROKE
Notts/Leics/London: POLLARD/BELAND/FELLS/MORRISON/MARYSON/CLARKE
Northants: MARRIOT/T
Suffolk: LINGLY/LINGLEY/LINDLY/LINDLEY/ SEAGER /SIGGER/SEGGAR/VINCE
Gloucs: WINDOW Glamorgan: JENKINS Cardiganshire: JONES
Poland: OZIEMKIEWICZ France: LINETTE

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Grandad <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 August 20 15:56 BST (UK) »
Would they have needed to be actually living at Bradshaw Street? Although that address does pop up a few times with different people... Can't recall which ones off the top of my head. Its these Baileys with an Irish connection popping up that have made me go through the ones I've got, who have a welsh connection, and double check everything.

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Grandad <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 August 20 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

One of my ggg grandmothers signed at her marriage (pre-registration times, beautiful signature).  By the time of her sixth child in August 1837 she made her mark on her one and only daughter's birth certificate.

The certificate was dated the day after birth - I had always put it down to exhaustion !!!   ;D   ;D

Gaie

Could have been, bless her. Thank you.