Author Topic: Cousin or Grandson?  (Read 259 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Cousin or Grandson?
« on: Friday 07 August 20 10:52 BST (UK) »
I am hoping someone here can clarify something for me.

The attached extract is from a the will of John Puttock of Tillington in Sussex. In this extract he mentions "my cosen Thomas Puttocke sonne of my sayd sonne John Puttocke" or at least that's how I'm reading it.

Elswhere he refers to other "cosens" in the same way.

Obviously he was referring to his grandchildren here.

My question is was the term "cousin" often used to refer to grandchildren or was it a more general term. I have another will where the testator referred to his niece as his cousin and one where the testator referred to her cousin in more details describing him as "the son of Willliam King son of my father's brother Henry King".

So could a granchild be described as a "cousin"?

Matt

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
Re: Cousin or Grandson?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 August 20 12:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,

cousin used to be used very generally. Shakespeare, for example, used the term to denote nephew, step-son and grandchild. And possibly others.  :)

Best regards,
Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cousin or Grandson?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 August 20 14:24 BST (UK) »
I agree with Karen and so does the OED:

“collateral relative more distant than a brother or sister; a kinsman or kinswoman, a relative; formerly very frequently applied to a nephew or niece.”

Regards
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk