Author Topic: New hereabouts, with a question.  (Read 913 times)

Offline Stephen E

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
New hereabouts, with a question.
« on: Thursday 25 August 05 02:15 BST (UK) »
Hello all,
I'm stepping out on a limb here, so please don't think poorly of me if I'm way off base.

My Sir name is Englebright.
And, in the course of working my genealogy, I have found a couple 'Englebrights' living in the area of Swansea.

I don't think Englebright could possibly be Welsh in any way, but you never know for sure until you ask.

From the posts I've read on this site, everyone seems most helpful and knowledgeable, and not wanting to leave a stone unturned, I thought I would ask.

Even if not a Welsh Sir name, if you have seen the name at any time and could offer any information at all, please allow me to thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
Stephen.

Offline Ros Fornaro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: New hereabouts, with a question.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 August 05 02:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Stephen,

Welcome to Rootschat. 

If you post the full names of your Englebright ancestors and the years and places of birth, then we can try to help.

Ros
Bell Coatbridge Sct
Cassels Dunbarton Lnk Sti Sct
Heggie Lnk Sct
Lusty Gls Eng Lnk Sct
McLuckie Stirling Sct
Moss Leek Sts Eng Vic Aust
Pride Gls Eng Geelong Vic Aust

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Re: New hereabouts, with a question.
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 August 05 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Stephen,

you're right, Englebright isn't a typical Welsh name. For the most part Welsh surnames orginate from their fathers forenames, which is why there are so many Jones (from John), Davies (from David), Williams, Evans etc.

There are also a few which originate from nicknames, such as Gough (from coch, meaning red, as in hair), or where they lived.

There is a link on ancestry, which shows the concentration of surnames in 1891. Haven't got it handy, but I'll dig it out and post it. I posted it on "the lighter side" a while ago.

D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II