Author Topic: How / Where to Try to Return 'Memories' to their Owners / Descendants?  (Read 1569 times)

Offline Leanne Pethick

• RootsChat Extra
  • In search of Annie Mabel May's parents
    • View Profile
How / Where to Try to Return 'Memories' to their Owners / Descendants?
« on: Monday 10 August 20 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I buy & sell antique furniture for a living, and often come across old photographs and other 'Treasures' - things that I would love to have if they were of / belonged to etc my ancestors in drawers.
Have often thought it would be great to have somewhere that I could upload photos and descriptions etc in the hope that someone wanted them.

I recently came across something unusual - a large, round, and quite heavy, bronze? disc and took photos of it with some other 'old stuff' (vintage tins and things like matchboxes etc) to sell on eBay - part of my CV clean out ;-)

Anyway, tonight I was looking at the photos to 'describe' the items in my eBay listing and realised there was a name on the disc: Vivian Gilbert Garner.
A quick google took me to the Australian War Memorial website - he was a young man who was killed in action in Belgium in WW1!
https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/R1730667

Maybe it was seeing the photo and that he came from a small town in rural Victoria... but it prompted me to come here and ask...

What is the best thing to do with it?

I did a search on Vic BDM and he was born in Talbot and there is no marriage for him (he was 27yo when killed).  Also none of the trees in Ancestry have a wife or children for him.

Might be being silly... ??
I am fortunate to have the most wonderful parents! Both still alive and well into their 80s.

Online youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How / Where to Try to Return 'Memories' to their Owners / Descendants?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 August 20 12:05 BST (UK) »
It's a "death penny"
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 August 20 12:07 BST (UK) »
It is a WW1 Memorial Plaque also known as a "death penny". Sent to the families of all those killed, so not a rare item.

They do have a value, and most antique shops I go into have one or two, usually priced around £40-£60. There are also quite a few fakes around.

If you trace the extended famiy of the man and can find descendants of siblings perhaps, they may be interested, but sadly many won't be.

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 August 20 12:21 BST (UK) »
This gives possible parents
https://astreetnearyou.org/person/923683/Second-Lieutenant-Vivian-Gilbert-Garner
Did find at least one tree on Ancestry with James Ponton Garner/Helen Wright with son Vivian Gilbert Garner.
Added... sorry see you have him in trees on Ancestry.

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Leanne Pethick

• RootsChat Extra
  • In search of Annie Mabel May's parents
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 August 20 12:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your replies!
Yes, I have just read about it on the AWM website: https://www.awm.gov.au/articles/encyclopedia/memorial_scroll

It isn't something I could 'sell'.  Perhaps it is through researching my family and learning how many of them were killed in the WWs, some of them very close to my parents who are both still living. 
I have contacted the AWM to see if it is something they would like.

It would be good to have somewhere to post things like this... I know I would love to find photos, or anything from my ancestors and their families!

PS.  Thanks for the link Cath - I didn't know about that website.  Will add it to my useful research links :)
I am fortunate to have the most wonderful parents! Both still alive and well into their 80s.

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 August 20 12:53 BST (UK) »
There is a Garner in the white pages directory.  You could try writing to then to see if they are related.

https://www.whitepages.com.au/garner-j-728991438R
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

guest189040

« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 August 20 14:25 BST (UK) »
If you have no luck finding a relative then I would send it to:-

The Australian War Memorial
Treloar Crescent
Campbell ACT 2612
Australia

That said there is a tree on Ancestry that I found where he is listed together with his Brothers and Sisters and working trough the marriages and their children there are no boys to continue the Garner surname.

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 August 20 15:43 BST (UK) »
"I know I would love to find photos, or anything from my ancestors and their families!" - problem is that most early photos don't have the sitter's name on them so almost impossible to allocate them to a particular family. I do have a collection of early (1850s/1860s) photos and the number with details written on them is in single figures.
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 August 20 16:40 BST (UK) »
Really hope that you manage to find surviving family. One of my great uncles death resulted in one, but it is sadly long lost to us. We'd like to think some one is at least cherishing it. Good luck.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)