Author Topic: Rowland/Sayles/Griffin - help finding Audrey Rowland's family  (Read 936 times)

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Great grandma Elsie (right) & sister Evelyn (left)
    • View Profile
Rowland/Sayles/Griffin - help finding Audrey Rowland's family
« on: Monday 10 August 20 17:57 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
I am currently trying to help my great auntie find her ancestors (all of whom have passed away).

The family tree starts with Audrey Rowland, who was born in March 1929 in Rossington, Doncaster (Yorkshire) according to her daughter.

I am trying to work with what my great auntie has told me, but I am really not getting anywhere.
I'll list the information below that I know.

- Audrey Rowland was born March 1929, likely in Rossington, Doncaster, Yorkshire. She may have been registered as a Griffin. I have found a birth registration in April-May-June 1929 in Doncaster for an Audrey Griffin, but the maiden name doesn't match what I've been told (I was told Sayles, but the record says Griffin).
- Audrey's mother's maiden name was Clara Sayles from Rotherham, Yorkshire. She married a man with the surname Griffin, but then left him and married Charles Anthony Rowland (or Anthony Charles Rowland), possibly from Nottingham. AC/CA Rowland's parents were perhaps from Heanor, Nottinghamshire (I'm presuming maybe Heanor, Derbyshire is this same place and the county boundaries have changed? She did say Heynor, Nottinghamshire).

Many thanks for any help offered  :)
Holly
A Yorkshire girl tracing her ancestry.
Discovering that I'm not as English as my family once thought.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Rowland/Sayles/Griffin - help finding Audrey Rowland's family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 August 20 18:05 BST (UK) »
Who did Audrey marry & who did she name as her father on her marriage cert

What was her full birthdate

What surname did she marry under

EDIT

Did you check for a marriage for Clara - nothing to Griffin or Rowland

Did you check for her birth?  The only one for a Clara Sayle is 1889
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 August 20 18:08 BST (UK) »
Who did Audrey marry & who did she name as her father on her marriage cert

What was her full birthdate

What surname did she marry under

I don't have the marriage certificate, but Audrey married Stanislaw Proniewicz in the Oct-Nov-Dec quarter of 1948 in Don Valley, Yorkshire, and she is said to be Audrey 'Rowland' on the marriage index, although my great auntie said her birth certificate says Audrey Griffin. Her full birth date is 29th March 1929.

Ashforth | Watson | Smith | Davies | Beech | Matthews | Moxon | Heaton | Emmerson | Parkin | Cook | Venables | Perrins | Parsons | Whiteley | Blackburn | Badger | Cullen | McWeeny/McWeeney | Steventon | Walters | Copley | Chapman | Wild | Garrity | Blewitt | Larkin |

DNA Results: 40% Great Britain, 24% Scandinavian, 17% Western European, 15% Irish, 4% Iberian Peninsula.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 August 20 18:13 BST (UK) »
If your great aunt is quoting from the birth cert she must have details of mother/father so what does it say?

See my edit above
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 August 20 18:22 BST (UK) »
If your great aunt is quoting from the birth cert she must have details of mother/father so what does it say?

See my edit above

She has said that her mother Audrey told her that she had always thought she was a Rowland, but that she had found out (after her parents had died) that she was actually registered as a Griffin. I don't believe my great auntie has the birth certificate - but her mother did have it (or see it) at some point.

I looked for marriages for Audrey's supposed parents and couldn't find any marriages between Sayles/Griffins and Rowlands. This is making me doubt whether my great aunt has the maiden name confused.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 August 20 18:33 BST (UK) »
Did you check the 1939 register?  Entry for Clara Rowland in Doncaster is interesting

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 August 20 18:37 BST (UK) »
If you look up the births of the children shown on the 1939 entry - mmn was Sales - not Sayles

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 August 20 18:40 BST (UK) »
Marriage on freebmd 1921 Clara Sales/Frederick Griffin

4 births 1921-1928 in Rotherham

Given the last birth was registered June qtr 1928 and Audrey Griffin June qtr 1929 it’s a very narrow timescale

Offline WideEyedGirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 August 20 18:45 BST (UK) »
Marriage on freebmd 1921 Clara Sales/Frederick Griffin

4 births 1921-1928 in Rotherham

Thanks for your help! I've just checked out the 1939 register and found Charles A Rowland living with Clara. I've just heard from my auntie, and apparently when Charles was registering the birth of Audrey, he'd had an argument with Clara, so registered Audrey as a Griffin - Clara's previous husband's name.