Author Topic: Rhee Corn mill Aghadowey  (Read 1134 times)

Offline Sandel1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rhee Corn mill Aghadowey
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 11 August 20 22:59 BST (UK) »
Sorry typo - should have been 1850, William John the Bleacher and his wife Martha.
McFadden, McCaldridge, M'Aldridge, Gordon, Robb, McDonald

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 11 August 20 23:33 BST (UK) »
1850ish makes more sense. William John McMullin gave his residence as Moneycarrie when he married Martha McAllister in 1871. These McMullans are my connection and my family originally lived where some of them later lived. The McAllisters were neighbours of my father-in-law's family and he later owned the place they had lived.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline audrey1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 12 August 20 04:22 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
Sorry for the late reply, but I am in Canada and I was at work all day and now just have had time to reply.  Anyways I am trying to find out more info on my great great grandfather, Hugh McMullan.  I don’t have exact date of birth, other than born around 1845.  He married Martha McGrath born around 1850ish.  She was born in Aughodowey, I believe in Mullaghmore.  They were married Sept.12/1870 in Portstewart Londonderry.  They had 8 children.  First son was Hugh McMullan, born May 16/1871 in Droghead, Aughodowey.  Next was Ann Elizabeth born Apr. 22/1873 in Mullamore, Mary born Feb.6/1875 in Mullamore, my great grandfather William John born July 10/1877 in Droghead, Margaret Ellen born Oct 2/1879 in North Rampart, Hesther born Jan.8/1884 in Ballyloughan, Ahoghill, Antrim and James Courtney born march 24/1892 in Ballymena.  I have found birth records for them all. 
Martha McGrath/McGraw’s parents were James McGraw and Nancy, I am unsure of her maiden name.  Other siblings of Martha’s were Sarah born around 1850, Patrick born 1857 in Droghead, Daniel born 1860 in Droghead, John unsure of year born, and James.  I am still in process of trying to find more info on them. 

As stated previously, after talking with Sandel1, she has sent me info on the area and I have been reading about the different families.  Last night looking at my DNA matches I have found a few matches to the Orr families and they had some of the Shirley, Boyd and Quigg names in their trees.  So I believe this is my Orr family, I just haven’t found which Ann Orr is my Hugh McMullan’s wife yet..  She would have been born approximately 1820, as well as Hugh’s father Hugh.  I am hoping maybe someone will have more info on my family as I am pretty sure there is a connection as my family is from Droghead, Mullamore and Cullycapple areas.  The McGrath/McGraw family is from Cullycapple as well. 
Thank you for any help you can give and am excited to learn more!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 August 20 11:25 BST (UK) »
Welcome  :) Glad to see you've made it to Rootschat.

I'm still checking my records and family notes but puzzled as to why you think the McMullans in Cullycapple are the same as your family.
William John McMullan (born c1850) married 1871 Martha McAlister. His father was William John McMullan. At the time of the marriage William John was living at Moneycarrie. These families were Presbyterian.

I have notes on the McGraw family (McGra was another variation)- some of the information from records and some from William McGraw's younger son who used to visit with us.
I also have several files filled with information of Shirleys and Orrs from this area.

Will post more later.

Offline audrey1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 12 August 20 14:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey,

Thank you for welcoming me!   :)   I only know that my McMullan’s were born in Droghed, which I believe is just across the river from Cullycapple?  Their births were over a number of years so I would assume they were living in the area?  I am not familiar with the area, am just learning about it the last couple of days.  I saw on my James and Nancy McGrath that they died in Cullycapple, so I know they were in that area.  These were Martha’s parents. 

My McMullan’s eventually went to Ballymena after the birth of their second last child, as their last child was born in Ballymena.  As to their religion, I have only seen census from 1901 where it said Church of Ireland.  The next generation moved to Canada, well some of them, not all.  Their religion on census seemed to change, sometimes was noted as Anglican, sometimes Church of Ireland and I saw Presbyterian on another one.  I don’t know if this was census taker errors or what really.  Maybe they possibly changed their religion, but I really don’t know.  If only there were records earlier than 1901.  I did find birth records for Hugh and Martha’s children which state they were born in Droghead, starting at 1871 for the oldest child. 

Anyways will watch for more messages here.  Thank you for looking and thank you so much for welcoming me here!  :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 13 August 20 10:04 BST (UK) »
Am working my way through records but a few things still don't add up.

My McMullan’s eventually went to Ballymena after the birth of their second last child, as their last child was born in Ballymena.
Hesther born Jan.8/1884 in Ballyloughan, Ahoghill, Antrim and James Courtney born march 24/1892 in Ballymena.

Can only see 7 children you've listed not 8 and you say you've birth records for all the children but James Courtney (registered as James) was not born 24 Mar.1892 or even in Ballymena. His birth registration gives date as 24 Mar.1886 at Ballylough (where Hester was born).
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1886/02617/1965929.pdf

There's an online tree (not sure if it's yours?) which has James (born c1829) & Nancy McGraw with son John McGraw who married Mary Duff in 1853. They were married in 1853 and his father was James McGraw but since he was born c1833 that just doesn't add up. I think that they were brothers but certainly not father/son.

The McGraths moved from Droghed 1885/1886 to Cullycapple. Think I know where the Cullycapple house was but have to check map and verify with family member.

Offline audrey1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 13 August 20 16:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey,

Thank you for the reply.  I typed 8 children by accident as it should’ve been 7 children.  For James Courtney, I had 1892 and born in Ballymena as that was what it said on his military record I have.  I had found the birth record just the other night that you had just sent, but unfortunately i didn’t put the correct date and save the birth record to his profile.  I have done this now.  Thank you, as I used the one you sent me.  :)

I do remember also having John McGraw and Mary Duff now and was going to have another look as it wasn’t adding up, but didn’t get back to it.  I have now disconnected him.  You are probably right, that was more than likely James’s brother, not his son....  I have to have another look at the McGraw’s again.  That is neat if you know where their house in Cullycapple was.  Would love to see what it looked like.  I am interested to know about this area and where the McMullan’s and McGraw family came from. 

Thank you so much for all your help and looking for more info for me. I really appreciate all your help!

:)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 16 August 20 19:44 BST (UK) »
Still sifting through all the McGraths/McGraws in my files. One of them (died a few years back) told me some interesting bits about his father's family but I haven't found the notes yet.

Offline audrey1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 17 August 20 22:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey,

Thank you for replying.  We were away for the weekend until today.  Thank you for looking for info on the McGraw family.  I wish I had more to go on, but unfortunately I seem to be the only one in the family working on the family history.  Maybe more will show up!  I will keep looking also and if I find anything new, will let you know.  Look forward to any info you can find on the McGraw family.

Thank you again!