Author Topic: John "Jack" GARRETT, Fort Worth, Texas  (Read 441 times)

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John "Jack" GARRETT, Fort Worth, Texas
« on: Thursday 13 August 20 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Can you please help me find this man's marriage to my aunt? Can't find it on Ancestry, FindMyPast or family search in UK or USA.

What I know:
My aunt Mabel Digby married Samuel White 1940. Marriage didn't last; she is described (under name of Mabel White) on an immigration record in July 1947 as  "divorced". She was on her way to Fort Worth, Texas on the Queen Elizabeth.

She apparently married John "Jack" Garrett, described by my family elders as a rich Texan. He is born 3 Jul 1913. They lived in Texas and died in Midland Texas, within three days of each other on 13 and 16 July 1988. I have the gravestone where she is described as May"belle" (she hated the name Mabel and was always known as May).

I would love to find the marriage please - when and where? I can't find it in the UK. Given she sailed alone in 1947 under Mabel White, I think she must have married in the US. By 1951 (when she came back for a visit) her name has changed to Mabel Garrett so I think the marriage is between 1947 and 1951.

But I cannot find it anywhere. Perhaps they weren't married? Perhaps he was already married? HELP!

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John "Jack" GARRETT, Fort Worth, Texas
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 August 20 23:50 BST (UK) »
From this article it appears they were married 2 May 1948.

Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Fort Worth, Texas
Sunday, December 26, 1948 - 30

3 European Nations:Represented at Party -
 England, France and Ireland were represented at a Christmas party Saturday given by Mr and Mrs Jack Garrett 6345 Malvey. Mrs Garret from London provided a traditional English touch by serving flaming pudding. Other guests were Mr and Mrs E S Zachary 6320 Darvvood and Mr and Mrs Johnnie McClellan 2243 6th Ave. Mrs Zachary a native of northern France married during the first World War and has been here since 1919. Mrs McClellan of Dublin was married in her native country during World War II and is spending her second holiday season here. Mrs. Garrett also spending a second Christmas in Fort Worth came here to visit friends and was married May 2.

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 August 20 23:54 BST (UK) »
From this article it appears they were married 2 May 1948.

Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Fort Worth, Texas
Sunday, December 26, 1948 - 30

3 European Nations:Represented at Party -
 England, France and Ireland were represented at a Christmas party Saturday given by Mr and Mrs Jack Garrett 6345 Malvey. Mrs Garret from London provided a traditional English touch by serving flaming pudding. Other guests were Mr and Mrs E S Zachary 6320 Darvvood and Mr and Mrs Johnnie McClellan 2243 6th Ave. Mrs Zachary a native of northern France married during the first World War and has been here since 1919. Mrs McClellan of Dublin was married in her native country during World War II and is spending her second holiday season here. Mrs. Garrett also spending a second Christmas in Fort Worth came here to visit friends and was married May 2.

Well you are a genius! That’s fabulous, and the 6345 Malvey address has come up in my previous research so it looks like it’s them. Where did you find it please?

Can anyone find an official record of the marriage on 2 May 1947?

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 August 20 00:02 BST (UK) »
1952 Fort Worth City Directory
Jack H (May) Garrett, lawyer, home 5345 Malvey Ave

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 August 20 00:22 BST (UK) »
Well you are a genius! That’s fabulous, and the 6345 Malvey address has come up in my previous research so it looks like it’s them. Where did you find it please?

I'm not finding it.

the state has records from 1966 onward, and
"For records prior to those years, you must contact the county where the marriage license was issued or the district clerk in the district where the divorce was granted."

https://www.dshs.texas.gov/vs/reqproc/faq/mardiv.shtm

It doesn't look like they applied for a marriage license in Tarrant County TX (Fort Worth's county) in 1947 to 1949
https://ccrecordse.tarrantcounty.com/Marriage/SearchEntry.aspx?e=newSession

I didn't spend a lot of time looking, so it might be worth a try yourself. otherwise maybe neighboring counties ... ?

-------------
did they have a son? (*)

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 August 20 00:57 BST (UK) »
I think she must have married in the US. By 1951 (when she came back for a visit) her name has changed to Mabel Garrett so I think the marriage is between 1947 and 1951.

Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Fort Worth, Texas
Thursday, November 29, 1951 - Page 22

MRS JACK GARRETT, 6345 Malvey, left Tuesday for New York City where she will sail on the Queen Elizabeth for England. She plans to spend the Christmas holidays in London with her family and in Paris. Mr Garrett will fly to England on Dec 15 to join his wife for Christmas.

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 August 20 01:03 BST (UK) »
Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Fort Worth, Texas
Thursday, May 13, 1948 - Page 22

MRS JACK GARRETT, the former Miss May White, introduced her new husband via trans-Atlantic telephone to her family in London after the couple's recent marriage here. Mr Garrett, son of Mrs Herbert S Garrett 2220 6th Ave met his English bride shortly after she came to Fort Worth nine months ago to visit friends. They are living at the 6th Ave address.

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 August 20 20:45 BST (UK) »

I'm not finding it.

the state has records from 1966 onward, and
"For records prior to those years, you must contact the county where the marriage license was issued or the district clerk in the district where the divorce was granted."

https://www.dshs.texas.gov/vs/reqproc/faq/mardiv.shtm

It doesn't look like they applied for a marriage license in Tarrant County TX (Fort Worth's county) in 1947 to 1949
https://ccrecordse.tarrantcounty.com/Marriage/SearchEntry.aspx?e=newSession

I didn't spend a lot of time looking, so it might be worth a try yourself. otherwise maybe neighboring counties ... ?

-------------
did they have a son? (*)

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Thank you. They did not have any children.

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 August 20 20:52 BST (UK) »
I think she must have married in the US. By 1951 (when she came back for a visit) her name has changed to Mabel Garrett so I think the marriage is between 1947 and 1951.

Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Fort Worth, Texas
Thursday, November 29, 1951 - Page 22

MRS JACK GARRETT, 6345 Malvey, left Tuesday for New York City where she will sail on the Queen Elizabeth for England. She plans to spend the Christmas holidays in London with her family and in Paris. Mr Garrett will fly to England on Dec 15 to join his wife for Christmas.

This is terrific, thnak you. I have family members who remember meeting her off the boat train