Author Topic: Bishopwearmouth cemetery  (Read 782 times)

Offline Mofamily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bishopwearmouth cemetery
« on: Friday 14 August 20 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hi
I hope someone can clarify something for me.  I have a photo of my gg grandparents headstone in the Bishopwearmouth Cemetery which a relative took many years ago.  Elizabeth Holburn D: 1883 and her husband Christopher in 1891.  They both appear on the same headstone. (Which has always appeared to me to be very grand considering he was a Shipwright in Pallion).

I recently discovered the FS lists of Burial Registers and started mapping out all my relatives last resting places on the Ward Map in case I ever come up North.  However, It seems that Elizabeth is the only one in Ward 3 Section A/E Plot 1795 as I discover that Christopher (her husband) is in Ward 11 Section A Plot 1172.

My question is, is there another gravestone for Christopher?  He also appears to be in unconcecrated ground whereas she is in concecrated ground.  He was baptised in a C of E Church (but probably became Methodist), however, he was illigitimate.  Would that make a difference?

Mo

Online Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
Re: Bishopwearmouth cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 August 20 09:38 BST (UK) »
An inscription on a stone does not mean the person is buried in that grave. Plenty of instances of people being mentioned on gravestones who died in other countries - especially children of the family.
In Malton cemetery I came across two gravestones which by name and date of death must have been for the same person. Can only assume there was some family argument and both sides put up their own stones.
Being illegitimate was no reason for being in unconsecrated ground. Having changed religion might be. Most cemeteries have separate areas for Catholics and Protestants. Might he have committed suicide - that would be a reason for the church not wanting him buried in consecrated ground.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 August 20 09:58 BST (UK) »
Being illegitimate was no reason for being in unconsecrated ground. Having changed religion might be. Most cemeteries have separate areas for Catholics and Protestants. Might he have committed suicide - that would be a reason for the church not wanting him buried in consecrated ground.

In England and Wales an 1823 statute legalised the burial of suicides in consecrated ground, but religious services were not permitted until 1882. when the body may now be committed to the earth at any time, and with such rites or prayers as those in charge of the funeral think fit or may be able to procure, but the minister had to perform the burial service if the verdict was of "suicide while of unsound mind", or "temporary fit of insanity".

Just to say he would change denomination not religion.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 August 20 10:30 BST (UK) »
Burials in 'unconsecrated' sections doesn't, in my experience, indicate that there was anything that prevented a religious element of the funeral and burial. From what little I know the consecrated sections were originally intended burials by the established church, unconsecrated or general for non conformists of all flavours, though in some cemeteries there were also separate sections for RC.

Though I have lots of instances of couples of different faiths buried in the same grave around the time frame you are talking about and just as many who were buried in different sections so don't believe it was rigidly adhered to. Perhaps it was the families choice as they may have believed it showed respect for the chosen faith of the deceased?

If there is an indication on the burial register of who performed the ceremony you may be able to find that minister on the census returns to discover what faith they were.

Boo

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 August 20 10:38 BST (UK) »
There is a photo on ancestry of a very nice lady standing by the headstone (which is impressive!)

Two others were later buried with Christopher in 11 / A / 1172
Graves register
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS1L-33HF-J?i=728

Haven't yet found a register for Ward 3. Elizabeth was buried 22.1.1883

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 August 20 10:47 BST (UK) »
If there is an indication on the burial register of who performed the ceremony you may be able to find that minister on the census returns to discover what faith they were.

Revd S Littleton?
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJ7-BGGT?i=110

Could be Samuel Littleton, a Baptist Minister.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:WNFZ-F6Z

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 August 20 11:29 BST (UK) »
Random thought :-)

I can see no indication on the burial registers to tell me if, at the time of burial, these were public or private graves, but in order to erect the stone this grave has to have been purchased at some time?

Its 'possible' that they were both public graves at the time of burial and at a later stage perhaps one of their children decided to have a memorial stone for their parents, chose one of the graves and purchased it to be allowed to erect a stone?

Not sure how you'd be able to find when and by whom the stone was erected, I have been going round in circles on the Sunderland council website trying to find a contact email for the cemeteries dept or even an online contact form and am failing.

Boo

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 August 20 13:26 BST (UK) »
Random thought :-)
Not sure how you'd be able to find when and by whom the stone was erected, I have been going round in circles on the Sunderland council website trying to find a contact email for the cemeteries dept or even an online contact form and am failing.

Boo

Contact details are at https://www.sunderland.gov.uk/article/16208/Speak-to-us
There used to be a telephone number for the Cemeteries Office, but it is not listed.
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mofamily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 August 20 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks everyone for your great input.

I didn't know Christopher was a Baptist thought he was Methodist, but that must be the reason for unconsecrated ground, being nonconformist. Looking at the name of the Vicar who performed the ceremony was a great idea.  I have looked at the Vicar for Elizabeth and he was a Rev Johnson Bailey, Vicar of Pallion and he was C of E, hence the consecrated ground I presume.  Funny they were two different denominations.  Maybe that was why the rest of the family became Methodists?

The photo on Ancestery is indeed it.  The lady is the relly who sent it to me.  She doesn't know about the other grave plot yet.

Got quite excited when Jon mentioned two others in the same plot as Christopher.  Assumed that meant relatives, but they are not related at all.  Must be the way the plots are worked out.

Boo, it is a great thought about the gravestone being put up later.  They did have a daughter who became relatively well off.  Lived at The Westlands which I understand was quite well to do at the time.  She and her husband are buried at the Cemetery and their names appear on the Ward Plan on the edge (Davis) so I presume it must be a good gravestone too.

Once again, thanks for your input.  Food for thought.

Mo