Author Topic: Which Cemetery might Watson Senior be buried in?  (Read 553 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Which Cemetery might Watson Senior be buried in?
« on: Friday 14 August 20 14:35 BST (UK) »
I would like to find out which cemetery my ancestor Watson Senior would have been buried in and wonder if anyone might know?

Watson was the uncle of my Grandfather and was born in Durham in 1846.  His wife was called Martha.

Watson died on 12 December 1926.

I found an obituary for him a good while back in the Dundee Courier - 13 December 1926, headline:
'Montrose Sergeant Major Dead
28 Year's Army Service'
The article relates that his home address was 43 Bent's Road, Montrose.  Does anyone know which would have been the likeliest cemetery that he would have been buried in?

Thank you for reading this.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Which Cemetery might Watson Senior be buried in?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 August 20 15:59 BST (UK) »
Hi RTL

Suggest you try Deceased Online. A free search shows a record for him in Angus in 1926. I have not paid for any records from that site and so do not know how much detail the burial register contains.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 August 20 16:37 BST (UK) »
William is correct about Deceased on Line and I can confirm he was buried in Montrose Sleepyhillock Cemetery.

Don't hesitate to send me a personal message if you require more details.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 August 20 17:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much both of you.  I have looked up the cemetery now on Find A Grave and have discovered someone has his name up.  I will have to ask them where they got the details from and if they know whether or not he has a grave stone.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/128454418/watson-senior

It is amazing to see that there are more than thirteen thousand added to this cemetery.  Only 2% photographed though.  I think I will request a photo on there.

I really appreciate your help with this. His brothers are buried in Tyneside - he was the only one who moved away. Many thanks!
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 August 20 09:36 BST (UK) »
Hi RTL if you still have access to Find My Past via your library  his service record is online

Amongst the info about his military career his marriage to Martha Goodall is shown as being at Portsea Registry Office on 29 Dec 1882 which may be of interest.

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 August 20 12:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for letting me know about this Boo.  I am unable to access the records but I will be able to at some point in the future at the library I daresay.

Another very kind RootsChatter has been able to let me know that he signed up at North Shields in 1869.  This is quite interesting that he should be in this area.  In 1871 his Mother was a visitor in a household in Rothbury.  Perhaps she had moved on from the Half Moon Inn in Durham by that point.  She was the widow of Edward who had been the publican there until his death on 29October 1858.  In 1881 Watson was with his Mother as a lodger in the household of Mary F. Chalk.  I don't know if there might have been any family connection.  Mary Chalk was apparently from Middlesex and so was Watson's Father, Edward.

The marriage date is certainly useful for my records - thanks very much for this!