Author Topic: P Garrett and Harold Garrett  (Read 594 times)

Offline RachelBlackley

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
P Garrett and Harold Garrett
« on: Saturday 15 August 20 23:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,

This may be a long one but I am trying to find my mum's brother, P Garrett (hoping he is still alive), and what happened to their father.

My mum was born as M Garrett 1950's at University College Hospital, London, and adopted Mar 1951. She had an older brother by birth, Pe Garrett who was born 1940's in Dewsbury, Yorkshire. Their parents were Harold Garrett (born between 19th Apr 1919 and 18th Apr 1920, going by age at marriage) and Thomasina Garrett nee Pattie (born 6th Aug 1915, she later remarried and became Thomasina Ellett). Thomasina and Harold married 18th Apr 1942 in Spen Valley, Yorkshire, where I believe they met on an army base as she was ATS and he was RASC. I have copies of mum's original birth certificate, P's birth certificate, and Harold & Thomasina's marriage certificate.

After WW2, Harold, Thomasina and Peter moved to London and lived at 100 Bemerton Street. When my mum was born, they were already separated as they were living at different addresses, and I know that it took the adoption agency 3 months to track Harold down to sign the adoption papers for my mum. Thomasina was living in a Salvation Army hostel, Hopetown Hostel on Hopetown Street, Stepney, London, in 1951. Thomasina then vanished from electoral rolls until 1961 when she reappeared, living under a different name with the man she remarried in 1965.

I have recently come in to contact with some of my mum's cousins on her mum's side through Ancestry.
One of them recalls a letter from Thomasina to her mother asking her to "take the children" (meaning my mum and her brother) after Thomasina separated from Harold, stating that "something happened with a man but it wasn't what people thought and was not her fault" but the letter never received a reply, because the family didn't believe it either and "she made her bed, she needs to lie in it". I am aware that this may mean that Harold is not actually my mum's biological father.

Another cousin remembers someone from Barnardo's going to their Aunt and asking her to take my mum's brother (I believe my mum was already in the process of being adopted at that point) but the aunt said no due to having 4 children herself, and due to Thomasina being basically disowned by the family. That was the last anyone heard anything about Peter. Peter's birth certificate does not say adopted on it, where my mum's does.

So I am looking for P, hoping he is still alive,to reunite him and my mum. And, if I can, find out what happened to Harold.

Details I do have :-
*Harold Garrett, son of George Albert Garrett (dockyard worker, deceased before Apr 1942), born between 19th Apr 1919 and 18th Apr 1920. Married 18th Apr 1942, address at time of marriage 433 Russell Court, London WC1, occupation driver 284656 RASC (prior to war Seaman Merchant Service). Address and occupation Oct 1950 Motor Lorry Driver 54 Gifford Street, London.

*Thomasina Pattie, daughter of John Thomas Pattie (coal miner, deceased 28th Apr 1917), born 6th Aug 1915. Married 18th Apr 1942, address at time of marriage 36 Church Avenue, Choppington, Northumberland, occupation private 73411 ATS (prior to war domestic servant). Address Oct 1950 1 Crescent Street, London, N1. Remarried 1960's  W Ellett.

*P Garrett, born 1940's, Dewsbury, Yorkshire. Possibly taken in to Barnardo's care late 1950/early 1951.

*M Garrett, born 1950's , University College Hospital, London. Adopted Mar 1951 to Irene and Lewis Fenn, became Pauline Frances Fenn. Married R Davies 1970's.

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse,

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: P Garrett and Harold Garrett
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 August 20 07:27 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat, Rachel.

From that marriage certificate, are any witnesses related to Harold?  Trying to pinpoint his birth.

rootschat does not deal with living people so you are better off looking for help elsewhere.

Have you put a postem on his freebmd birth information, so that you can be contacted that way if anyone on his side is looking for family?

Do you think the Garrett's came from London - trying to find George's death between 1919 and 1942.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 August 20 08:08 BST (UK) »
The only deaths I can see of a suitable age for George Albert Garrett between 1918 and 1942 are
in 1920 at Epsom George Albert Garrett age 53 ( so born about 1866) and in 1942 Sheffield George Albert Garrett age 63 (so born about 1878).

Wonder if Albert George might be worth trying.

There are only about 6 possible births for Harold within the dates specified, and none of them look like coming from a marriage of a George Albert Garrett to an appropriate mother's maiden name.

In fact, only about 4 births, and only one that has no second name for Harold.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 August 20 08:36 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.  :)

I narrow it down to this possible birth in 1919:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2F1V-P3K

Mar 1919 W.Derby 8b 483
Garrett Harold mmn Smith

Marriage, maybe: Sep 1913 Mt.Harbro 7a 31
GARRET George   
SMITH Annie L

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 August 20 08:42 BST (UK) »
Don't like Smith marriages, name too common and they are always popping up. But it could be.

Thomasina Pattie shows on 1939, and does not have either of her subsequent surnames added.  Including that she dies with Daisy E (and second marriage as Thomasina D E Ellett to Ellett), so perhaps middle names came and went on both sides of family.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 August 20 08:43 BST (UK) »
Could be the same family:

Sep 1913 W Derby 8b 654
Garrett Peter S mmn Smith
Garrett Robert P mmn Smith

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 August 20 08:52 BST (UK) »
Robert Percy Garrett died in 1913, Catholic burial.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 August 20 08:54 BST (UK) »
Think the George married to SMITH, may have been a railway worker  :-\

1911: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X759-SYV

Jamjar