Author Topic: NZ verses UK archived info and availability.  (Read 274 times)

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
NZ verses UK archived info and availability.
« on: Sunday 16 August 20 00:05 BST (UK) »
Morning.
There are times when contributors wonder if their input to the NZ board is appreciated. Therefore the following from an experienced amateur researcher will acknowledge appreciation of your efforts, and rootschat for providing the vehicle.

Following my recent visit to the NZ archives, a new stream of research has headed off to London to fellow researcher, and heritage author, Michael. NZ may not have surviving census records, BUT according to Michael, the archived info, and papers past access to early press, that we have supplied, is exceptional. So very much appreciated, and a big thank you, to those only to happy to delve into their known resources, and contribute to the NZ board of Rootschat. Without such help our hobby budgets would not even scratch the surface.

Edited comments from latest exchanges:-

Michael H
   Aug 15, 2020, 1:49 AM (1 day ago)      

to me

I'm not surprised another late night - what a fantastic additional collection of material. I think I am going to have to set aside the Christmas break to go through everything which has been accumulated and extract the data into a narrative. ……..
Receiving them in JPG form appreciated too, as it allows me to lighten, sharpen, enlarge, etc.
Just one thing - is there any possibility of getting a much higher definition copy of the Waikato Frontier map, which I could zoom in on? In its current format, the place names pixelate and are illegible, and as I love reading maps, it would really put the whole scene in its geographical context for me.
At least it has all established beyond reasonable doubt that my Charles Myers is the Waikato Militia man. However, what we now need to establish is whether he was also, previously, the 43rd Foot man - or was that the other Charles Myers? Presumably a former regular soldier would have been quite an asset for a local militia, so the chances must be good that he was in both units.
As I believe it is now nearly 2 a.m. down there, I trust you will not be replying to this (or even seeing it) until after breakfast...

Michael

But I did briefly. Phone at pillow in case livestock gets on the main highway.

Michael H
   12:50 AM (8 hours ago)      

to me

Well, if you consider yourself a novice at finding your way round the system, all I can imagine is that there must be some formidable researchers out there. I have just done a count, and up to the receipt of this, you seem to have sent me 91 items as attachments (including the checklist [215 references]), …….. . All are perfectly clear for printing out except for the Waikato Military map; ……... If you have several other projects like that, the farm must be running itself…….?
Intriguing that Charles may also have gone to the goldfields - though as he went to Australia quite early, I wonder if he also tried his luck prospecting there in the gold rush of the time? Another man I am studying, an American Civil War navy veteran named John Davis (dismayingly common name for research purposes - born in Hampshire), also went out there after the war, failed, and came back to London, where he had a conversion, became a missionary in the slums of docklands, and founded a London association of Civil War veterans - if you have any time for extra-mural reading, I'll be happy to send you an article I wrote about them, and him.
However, the findings so far do also back up my grandmother's claim that Charles was given land in New Zealand after the Maori Wars, presumably as a veteran.

Michael

SUPPLIED, Retrolens 1943 aerial photos link; Waipa Council farm property rating details; linked to original survey and Crown Grant copies. [Vellum Parchment] Mining and bush license claims details. Mortgage and conveyancing details from the 1860’s. Identifying Crown Grant farm locations.

Michael H
   1:00 AM (8 hours ago)      

to me

Intriguing. If we had a tenth of that sort of material for my own area,
a mere five miles north of the City of London, for the 1860s and 1870s,
our research would be transformed. I don't think I've even seen a
photograph of my area earlier than the 1880s, and almost nothing till
the 1890s.

SUPPLIED, back story of the period of the Maori Rebelion.
with a collection of screen shots & online viewing links inc
Sketch Maps; Waikato District & Waikato Frontier
Schedule 30:3 Maaori Sites of Signficance – Waikato District Council.
Ngatapuwae O Hotmauea. Maaori habitations along the Waikato River. Hamilton City Council. [On Line]
NZ Wars by Nigel PRICKETT.  DOC / nzetc.victoria.ac.nz [On line]

Yet more! Fascinating. Do these redoubts still survive, and have they
been archaeologically investigated if they do? I am getting so used to
this flood of information that I had a brief moment of disappointment
when it transpired that Stichbury's account didn't mention Myers, but I
dare say I will get over it. Hope you managed to get an hour or two of
sleep.

Michael

Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.