Author Topic: Death certificate from Walter Schroeder, Coroner for London. Cant find a burial  (Read 892 times)

Offline Retriever

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My great grandmother was found dead in February 1915. A post mortem and inquest were held and the death certificate was issued by Walter Schroeder, Coroner for London.

I cannot find a burial for her, her husband is buried at Finchley cemetery where I would expect her to be although not actually buried with him as he was buried with 13 others in 1884.

I have checked the Electoral Rolls for 1914/1915 and there are no family members listed for where she died, although it is the area they all lived in.

I am wondering if the post mortem and inquest have any bearing on this. In view of the year would any effort have been made to trace next of kin if as a lodger nobody knew who to contact?

Would there have been procedures for disposing of bodies left unclaimed? I am not suggesting that the family abandoned her but I have been unable to find her on the census for 1911 either on her own or with family.

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Death certificate from Walter Schroeder, Coroner for London. Cant find a burial
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 August 20 17:09 BST (UK) »
Can you let us have her details, please?

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death certificate from Walter Schroeder, Coroner for London. Cant find a burial
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 August 20 17:18 BST (UK) »
Could be she was interred at Brookwood Cemetery?

The Brookwood Cemetery was opened in November 1854, and was the largest in the world. It was originally called the London Necropolis or Woking Cemetery. Although it lies outside the London area, it was the place of burial for thousands of Londoners. The cemetery is still privately owned and trades as Brookwood Cemetery Limited. The records are kept at the cemetery and there is a charge for them to be searched, but microfilm copies are held at the Hyde Park Family History Centre and the Surrey History Centre, where the Friends of Surrey Cemeteries have been indexing them. In addition The Brookwood Cemetery Society is a voluntary organisation devoted to the cemetery.

Bodies were taken by a special railway, the London Necropolis Railway. ;D
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Necropolis_Railway
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 August 20 17:24 BST (UK) »
Brookwood Cemetery is now apparently owned by Woking Council
https://www.woking.gov.uk/property-and-land/brookwood-cemetery
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 August 20 18:38 BST (UK) »
I am wondering if the post mortem and inquest have any bearing on this.

At that date, it’s unlikely.

Without more information, no-one will be able to help you in any specific way. She could have been buried more less anywhere in London, or around the edge of it. If you don’t want to post her name, are you able to post the address where she died, so that people could at least advise you where to look?

Be aware that there are several large municipal cemeteries in the London area for which there are no online records at all.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 August 20 19:42 BST (UK) »
This is the death
March 1915 Holborn 1b 922
Parker, Katherine   
age 74   

She is usually Catherine with a C?

If she might have been buried February or early March 1915 I haven't seen her indexed anywhere or found her in those cemeteries online but not indexed (City of London, Woodgrange Park, Tottenham Park)

She is not indexed at Brookwood and probably is not buried at Abney Park.
Two possibles might be the East London Cemetery in Plaistow, or (if she was catholic!), St Patrick's RC Cemetery, Leytonstone.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 August 20 19:48 BST (UK) »
Is this her in 1901? :-\
In Clerkenwell, piece 252 folio 16 page 23
19 Rodney Street
Catherine Parker, 59, born Ireland
Two children and a grandson
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X98C-8SD

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 August 20 20:00 BST (UK) »
There are quite a few admissions to the Holborn Union workhouse (City Road) from 1903 of a Catherine Parker born around 1841/2
The first one on 11 Feb 1903 says Lunatic, but she was discharged 25 March.
Creed register says she was admitted from 185 Central Street, and religion is R.C.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS1Y-GSYV-B?i=537

The next one in June, Catherine was a mantle maker and admitted from 207 Pentonville Road.
But is this the Catherine in question?

ADDED
That person may also have been in the Islington workhouse system.

A couple of Catherine Parker admissions to City Road in Oct/Nov 1914.
Born circa 1840, says C of E.