Author Topic: Mary Laura THOMAS b1882 Q4 Morriston, Swansea  (Read 236 times)

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Laura THOMAS b1882 Q4 Morriston, Swansea
« on: Monday 17 August 20 10:43 BST (UK) »
I am conducting research on the wider family of John (b1819) & Elizabeth (b1822) HUMPHREY, the builder of several schools and many chapels across south west Wales.

I have run into a brick wall with their Granddaughter Mary Laura THOMAS, who is shown by "FreeBMD" as the birth being "registered" in Swansea, 1882, Q4 (December), Volume 11a, page 630; my standard search protocols on Ancestry have failed to find a matching birth with that name, year, volume and page details.

Is there any means by which an Ancestry search can conducted using Volume and Page details?

Thank you for reading, JohnG_Swansea.
Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Laura THOMAS b1882 Q4 Morriston, Swansea
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 August 20 10:47 BST (UK) »
The GRO index has
THOMAS, MARY  LAURA     Mothers maiden surname HUMPHREY
GRO Reference: 1882  Dec Quarter in SWANSEA  Volume 11A  Page 630

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 August 20 10:50 BST (UK) »
I have found it on Ancestry by searching Mary Thomas born 1882 Swansea, Wales and putting 630 into Keyword

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01pty/
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 August 20 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie,

Very many thanks for your incredibly speedy responses.

Your first response ties in with the information I have elicited over the time since this research commenced back in 2017, Mary Laura's mother was born as Ann Humphrey, the first daughter of the above mentioned John and Elizabeth Humphrey.

Following your second post, I have gone around the loop again, dropping 'Laura' and dropping 'Glamorgan' from my search parameters and I have been presented with a page I have seen on a number of previous occasions: "BIRTHS Registered in July, August, and September 1882" with the page number 516 a little further to the right.

When looking down the centre column I can see two Mary Jane's followed by a Mary Letice, between which I would have expected to see Mary Laura, but no Mary Laura is to be seen on my screen.

The odd thing is that when I open up the index, there is Mary Laura THOMAS, Swansea, Glamorgan, 11a, 630, between a Mary Josephine THOMAS and (the afore mentioned) Mary Letice THOMAS, but I am at a loss to see Mary Lucy on my screen.

Ohh the unexpected mysteries of Family History Research!

I thank you again for you assistance,

Stay Safe, JohnG_Swansea.
Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.