Author Topic: Can anyone date or place this photgraph  (Read 1163 times)

Offline Tuggybear

• RootsChat Member
  • The future is all about the past
    • View Profile
Can anyone date or place this photgraph
« on: Monday 17 August 20 13:57 BST (UK) »
I've just been sent this photgraph of a member of my husband's Newton relatives. I believe it is either Cyril Tolley born 1907 at what is now the General Hospital in Leicester) Cyril was the illegitimate son of Lois Tolley.) or Harry Newton born about 1911 in Leicester. (Harry was the first born son of Lois (Tolley) and John Newton.

I'm just wondering if anyone can maybe date the fashions worn by those in the photo, which will help me guess better or if anyone recognises the building where the photograph was taken. This may also help.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone may be able to offer.

Knight, Bates, Newton, Pick,Perkins, Marshall, North, Kilby, Beckett, Prince.

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone date or place this photgraph
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 August 20 14:27 BST (UK) »
Going by the dress, it could be Cyril William Tolley. Aged 23, he married Florence Dewey on 19th April 1930 at Belgrave St Michael. No father's name given, both were of 24 Coral Street, and the witnesses were John and Ann Dewey.

David

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 August 20 15:39 BST (UK) »
The outfits suggest a wedding circa 1925-29.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Tuggybear

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 August 20 16:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the replies DCB and Gadget.

I thought Cyril may be the most likely person considering the style of the clothes. The dress may have been borrowed from a relative or friend who had married in the second half of the 1920s I thought.
My husband can recall being shown the photograph when he was a child and he is certain his mum told him who the people were but he can't with any certainty recall their names although he does have an inkling it was Cyril.
Sadly, Cyril's son died a few years ago and as we believe he never married we can't try to track down a relative who may know.

Thanks again for the suggestions. We really appreciate it.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 August 20 17:19 BST (UK) »
The dress may have been borrowed from a relative or friend
The dress is more or less dwarfed by the floral arrangement!
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 August 20 19:01 BST (UK) »
I've been trying to find a very good wedding site but I can't find it at the moment.

This might be of use though.

https://www.fashion-era.com/1920s/1920s_old_photos_weddings.htm

Add - note that she has a knee length dress. This came in about 1926 and lasted for about 4-5 years. My mother wore a long dress at her wedding in 1931.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 August 20 19:31 BST (UK) »
It looks like a 1920's wedding to me .

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 12:54 BST (UK) »
I wondered if there might have been a newspaper report and photograph of Cyril's wedding. I couldn't find one but there were some others in 1930 showing similar dresses and the girls' hats.

i also found this rather harrowing tale, which mentions both of the boys:-

Leicester Daily Post 25 November 1912
Neglect of Children.—John Newton (30), railway porter. 9. Court "B." Northgate-street, was summoned for having the custody of Cyril Tolley (five years) and Henry Newton (nine months), and neglecting them in a manner likely to cause them unnecessary suffering and injury to their health between May 20 and Nov 12 etc...

It goes on to say that he was often drunk and lost regular work through laziness. His wife did her best but was weak through the want of proper sustenance. He was sentenced to a month in prison with hard labour.

David

Offline Tuggybear

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 August 20 12:54 BST (UK) »
Oh my word! DCB, you have just shown a completely unknown side of John Newton.

I knew he was a regular visitor to the Horse and Jockey public House on Northgate Street and I knew he was a strict man, my mum-in-law told me how once when she was reading a favourite book and her younger brother tried to take it off her so an argument broke out John Newton just stood up, grabbed the book from both of them and threw it in the fire but he was pictured as a loving father who expected obedience.

Lois, his wife, died in childbirth in 1931 and after the funeral he took the family to the cinema saying he didn't want any long faces and that no one was to visit the grave again except on the day of his own funeral.
I certainly wouldn't have suspected him of neglecting his family, though it does explain why Lois' mother moved away from the court and never visited the house again and it also makes me wonder if a suspicion of one of his granddaughters is actually correct.

Looking at the photos you've posted I am even more convinced that the photo is of Cyril's wedding as alter on tiaras became very popular as did ball gown dresses.

Thank you so much for that information. I'm very grateful to you.