Author Topic: George Arthur Thompson (Service in The Buffs)  (Read 261 times)

Offline Bobcats

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Arthur Thompson (Service in The Buffs)
« on: Monday 17 August 20 15:25 BST (UK) »
George served in the Buffs in 1917/18.  According to the Absent Voters list in 1918 his Regiment Number was 24145 and he was a Private in the 1/5 Battalion.  His home address was 247 Summer Lane Birmingham.  He was born on 25 April 1895 in Birmingham to George Frederick and Alice Thompson and died 12 April 1960.  He married my Great Grandfather's sister, Nellie Amelia Thompson (Yes! a Thompson married a Thompson!) I have tried without success to find anymore information on George.  According to family legend he served in India.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Bobcats

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Arthur Thompson (Service in The Buffs)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 August 20 15:34 BST (UK) »
Easy part first, 1/5th Buffs did serve in India, who knows he may be on the pic!!

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/buffs-east-kent-regiment/

More perhaps later.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 August 20 16:37 BST (UK) »
There do not appear to be any surviving records for him.  Service in India qualified a man for the British War Medal only but I don't find a medal record for him either.

His number is a post 1917 renumbering, he would have first had a four digit number but I still don't find him.  Looking at the award rolls, I have a suspicion that his number may have been mis-recorded, 1/5 Bn men renumbered have 6 digit numbers in the 240001 to 265000 bracket.

You probably know that some 60% of service records were lost in WW2 to bombing so the odds are always against.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Bobcats

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 13:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replying, I will continue in my search. Tried to locate his records on Fold3 but no trace of him.

Best wishes
Bobcats