Author Topic: Looking Australian birth or baptism record Vic /NSW - any ideas where next .?  (Read 2337 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Looking Australian birth or baptism record Vic /NSW - any ideas where next .?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 19 August 20 01:39 BST (UK) »
At least ONE of the NSW Baptisms for this family seems to be indexed at NSW BDM :

Volume 71,  line 1731,  in 1854
William SCALES, father as John, mother as Ellen.

Volume 71 is for Roman Catholic Baptisms.

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/births-deaths-and-marriages-registers-1787-1856

I am familiar with the history of the long running disputes in NSW between the Churches and the Parliament re the introduction of the civil registration for Births, Deaths, Marriages.  The debates cover many issues, but the paramount aspect was that it was entirely possible that persons of any denomination were able to handle and read and process the details found in the sacred records of each denomination, and the concern was for the 'contamination' effect of such handling.  It commenced in one form as early as 1810 and it continued in various forms until at least 1895.   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Looking Australian birth or baptism record Vic /NSW - any ideas where next .?
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 19 August 20 01:52 BST (UK) »
Is this Henrietta's child? Ancestry.com.au
Name:   Mary Helen Scales
Birth Date:   Abt 1890
Birth Place:   Mitta Mitta, Victoria
Registration Year:   1890
Registration Place:   Victoria, Australia
Father:   Scales
Mother:   Hetta Scales
Registration Number:   5923
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 19 August 20 03:17 BST (UK) »
John - listed   as first child  -   so probably born  NSW - they arrived 1852 no record

It is not possible for John to be the first child born in NSW.  They married in 1850 at Kilrush (note this is not a Catholic marriage)...

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1850/09390/5401522.pdf

They arrived in NSW in January 1852, (his parents John and Mary living near Kilrush, her parents Michael and Mary HENNESSEY, mother living near Kilrush).  Henry was born on 19 July 1852.

Debra  :)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 19 August 20 05:03 BST (UK) »
This is all rather cryptic, and maybe I missed the information, but....

you are researching the origins of this woman ? -

9254/1916  LARSEN Mary    marr.  BAILLIE, David Martin

Otherwise, can you identify the person whose origins you are researching, and the earliest evidence you have that the person ever existed.

If it is the BAILLIE marriage can you please list all the information on the marriage certificate.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 19 August 20 08:25 BST (UK) »
Might be a side track ... but  Vic BDM online index has :

Jno Isaac SCALES and Margt Sophia LARSEN were the parents noted when Mary Minerva SCALES birth was registered 1902, Mitta Mitta.  #28183.

In an earlier post on a different thread, there's mention that he was the informant for the birth registration and that his signature then (Feb 1890) :

'looked to me like an elderly person signed it really and he was 30 ish'

But perhaps it would be worthwhile comparing signatures to confirm the identity of the person registering the birth

Associated thread:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=835114.0

Debra  :)

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline susiee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 20 August 20 06:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your replies im having some trouble replying  individually so i will put them togeather .

Thanks Debra
Yes a Scales Married  larsen  and vice versa ! and he was Henriettas Brother .
Debra about the signature i saw that as well   and it really got me wondering it  looked really elderly.

Wivenhoe,   no its not that marriage.Thank you .

Thanks Dundee. Yep that makes sense . Couldnt be the first .

Shume yes that  is supposed to be  her daughter.  Henrietta and Harry Andrews were not married and he is not on the birth cert but accepted as the Father.  However  she at some point changed her  name to her Fathers------Andrews /       and then in 1916 she had her Mothers name entered onto the registration as Mary Glass in a Congreagational Church no witnesses only Clergyman and  his wife and daughter

Offline susiee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 20 August 20 06:46 BST (UK) »
1889 Birth cert Mary Helen
Henrietta Larson death cert

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 20 August 20 07:11 BST (UK) »

Thank you for the image of the marriage certificate. When and how have you come by this document?

"...no witnesses only Clergyman and  his wife and daughter"

I read this to mean that the marriage certificate has the name of the clergyman....and the wife and the daughter of the clergyman?

I see Minister Jesse MAYO.......what names do you see for his wife and his daughter?

I think you have a partial / incomplete image. It should name witnesses.