Author Topic: Diary > Wednesday 19th August  (Read 864 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Wednesday 19th August
« on: Wednesday 19 August 20 22:47 BST (UK) »
Woke up very late this morning. :o  Was feeling exhausted when I went to bed last night and thought I'd be falling asleep as soon as I got in bed but I was reading till after 1 am. Nevertheless, it was a late one this morning.

Got up after cups of tea and reading the news, took the opportunity to cut the front lawn, it was a lovely warm and sunny day, rain forecast to sweep across the country from the south west but not reaching here till about 6pm. Tidied up the shrubs and deadheaded the plants in the pots, they were looking beautiful but the rain we had the other night has left them rather battered.

Had some lunch, emptied the dishwasher then went for a walk about 2 pm, on the field and the woods as usual. Was still feeling quite tired despite my long sleep.

Came home and went out in the garden to read my Kindle, it was nice and peaceful. Did a little gardening, not much, tied in some shoots on the clematis. At about 4pm I saw a Chinook helicopter fly overhead, it was getting really low as it went towards the beach. Nothing in the local press about it tonight but there was a report about someone falling down the side of the bridleway that leads down my favourite beach, it happened this morning, the coastguard had rescued them.

A few spots of rain, came indoors and made final changes to my Tesco order. I don't usually order wine in bulk but there was a 25% discount if you bought six bottles so I thought I may as well take advantage of it. Rain got heavier at about 5 pm.

Couldn't think of what to have for tea so just did an omelette with mushrooms, tomatoes, red peppers and cheese, with jacket potato and leftover chopped tomatoes. Watched some TV.

Hope today has been a god one for everyone.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Wednesday 19th August
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 August 20 23:35 BST (UK) »
It is now Thursday for me, but my Wednesday was fairly quiet.

Spent most of the day dog sitting my daughter’s dog. She and her partner have just moved house and there are still boxes and “stuff” everywhere. I spent some time packing away a little of it, reorganising some areas, thinking about the best way to reorganise others, and doing a bit of a general tidy.

Was planning to make pizza for dinner but OH had been out with a mate “sampling” Craft Beer, felt weary, and didn’t want to wait for pizza to cook, so just snacked instead - which was fine by me.  :)

Watched a bit of nonsense TV.

Roobarb, I do sympathise with you about your NN. I used to have a neighbour of a similar ilk. The day I saw the ‘For Sale’ sign go up outside his house, was one of the happiest days of my life.  ;)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 August 20 23:56 BST (UK) »
Good to hear from you Ruskie, sounds like things are getting back to normal in Oz.

I often wish that my NN would move but the trouble is you never know what you'll get in their place! I'm guessing it worked out well for you though, that's great.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 August 20 00:37 BST (UK) »
Things are fairly normal in my part of the country thanks Roobarb. There are still lockdowns in other states, and there are restrictions for anyone crossing the Qld border - hotel quarantine for two weeks (at your own expense).

There are the occasional cases and alerts issued for anyone who may have come into contact with them to be aware of possible symptoms. Only today there was a report of a woman who travelled from Japan, to Sydney, quarantined for the required two weeks, tested negative twice, flew to Brisbane, went to a cafe, then flew back to Japan where she then tested positive. The Japanese authorities notified the Australian authorities, and contact tracing and deep cleaning is being undertaken.

Regarding neighbours, I agree that sometimes it can be “better the devil you know” .... in my example, the house has been rented since it was sold. All except one tenant has been fine and none of them has obsessed about my trees growing more than a couple of inches over the fence, so it has certainly been a lot less stressful.  :)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 August 20 10:14 BST (UK) »
Just trying to catch up ...

Wednesday diary:

Woke up feeling really exhausted.  It was such a struggle to get up and get going.  I went out to work in sunshine and returned in the dark.  It was lashing down with rain. I like going to sleep though with the sound of rain on the window pane.  I find it very soothing.
Before I went to sleep I quickly checked Ancestry to see if I might have a new message.  I have  recently had  a new highest match with someone!  This is very exciting! I have contacted them but have still not heard anything back.  They are predicted my 2nd to 3rd cousin.  I don't recognise any of the ancestors they are showing.   I am living in hope that they might turn out to be the connection to my unknown Great Grandfather - Father of my illegitimate Grandmother.  I do hope this person responds soon.  I would like to read but I can hardly keep my eyes open.  I go to sleep in the happy anticipation of a day off tomorrow.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 August 20 18:49 BST (UK) »
Didn't sleep that well and woke to an overcast day.   For once, weather forecast was correct and by lunchtime it was raining and so it continued for most of the day.

Have now completely finished the family history project and now just have to arrange how to get it to the lady concerned.   I think my sister said she would be willing to collect from my address.   Will sort something out.

Due to the weather haven't seen any of my neighbour to talk to but hopefully this should be rectified in the next couple of days when forecast is better and sunshine!

Salad for dinner (not really hungry) and watched George Gently and New Tricks once again. 

To bed after some RC, and started a new book on my tablet.

Annette 
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 August 20 19:57 BST (UK) »
RTL, that is exciting news about your Ancestry match! I've never participated so I'm not really sure about the workings of it but to have so a close match sounds really promising. I hope you've heard from the person concerned, will look forward to details in Thursday's diary, fingers crossed that it's the connection you're hoping for. Hope also that you've had a lovely day off, we had the heavy rain during the night too, I expect you've also had lovely sunshine today.

Annette, hope your sister is able to help out with delivering the family tree and you've had some sunshine and neighbour's company.

Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 August 20 23:51 BST (UK) »
Nice morning so got a big wash out ,good breeze so dried quickly.
Son and daughter in law came with some fresh shopping ,to  the  back gate . Also a sunflower grown from birdseed.Four feet high, it is in the shed as very strong winds forecast for  tonight .It is staked but a shame to lose it.
Do you know ,sorting my Tesco shopping I noticed in some frozen battered haddock,it was packed in China!!!!Yrerrgh,eeeeuew yuk !
No no no .
Honestly ,how many journeys has that fish had?
I won’t buy any more!
Sion and d in law going for a meal, for their Birthdays ,invited me but I am going  nowhere .
It is the first time they have been out since lockdown.
Daughter sent the latest figures for my area ,Oldham quite high, but there was a rave attended by I believe ,8,000 people in a park some time ago.
My hair is  ;D a mess ,has got beyond me managing it now.
I put barrettes (Slides)on my list £3-00 !
But I need something to keep it tidy .Half grown out fringe.
Gosh they were pence ,on a card in the corner shop.
 Only Seventy five years ago. ;D
Bad weather tomorrow,so a day working inside ,lots to keep me busy.
Made blinds for the Utility room ages ago,needed a way to hang them ,but had enough fixtures to do it ,so must put them up, the room faces South West ,and gets so hot .
Just simple blinds ,won’t roll up but I also want to screen what is in there ,it can be seen from the lane ,not untidy but quite full .
Well you are all so busy ,I am in awe of you !
It is come day go day with me at the moment , but I potter on.
Hope you all have a good day tomorrow , thanks for all the news .
Cheerio.Viktoria.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 August 20 00:06 BST (UK) »
Viktoria, I never think of looking at where things have been packed. Shouldn't be surprised I suppose, everything comes from China these days! Hope you get your blinds done, you do seem to get plenty done yourself.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham