Author Topic: Richard Wise  (Read 1360 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Richard Wise
« on: Friday 21 August 20 23:08 BST (UK) »
Is anyone here able to double check for a christening for a Richard Wise [or Wyse] in the Throwley area probably in the 1580s or early 1600s?

Richard married Sarah Thomas at Throwley in 1624 and by her he had a son named Thomas [1627/28] and a daughter named Sarah [1630/31].

Sarah snr [wife of Richard] appears to have died in April 1632 and then Richard married again to a woman named Mary Cheese [or Mary Cooke] at Selling on 16 July 1632. By Mary he had a son named Obidier [1633] and a daughter named Mary [1634] who like Thomas and Sarah before were christened in Throwley.

So far the only record I have found for a christening is for a Richard Wise who was christened in Acrise in 1578 son of Clement.

Could this be the same man? Acrise is 14 miles from Throwley.

Thoughts and suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

Matt

Offline jimnix

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Wise
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 August 20 00:28 BST (UK) »
I’m afraid there’s a burial for Richard Wise, son of Clement, dated 21 June 1579 at Acrise  :(

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 August 20 00:36 BST (UK) »
Thx for confirming that. I had looked for a burial of that Richard but didn't spot him.

At least I can eliminate the Wises in Acrise from my enquiries now.

Matt

Offline jimnix

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 August 20 00:45 BST (UK) »
There are members of the Wise family who appear in the parish registers of Throwley from as early as 1584 but I can’t work out if these are baptisms or burials ???. There is also a 1609 burial of John Wise but from then there are no more Wise burials in the Throwley registers that I can see until your Sarah’s in 1632.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 August 20 01:16 BST (UK) »
Hiya

I think I've seen those references as well and like you I couldn't work out if they were christengs or burials.

I'll put the Wises on the back seat for now.

Maybe the answer will be in wills.

Matt