Author Topic: How could I confirm if I have travelling ancestry?  (Read 616 times)

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
How could I confirm if I have travelling ancestry?
« on: Saturday 22 August 20 01:46 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, sorry to intrude.

I am Northern Irish, all of my ancestors are from Northern Ireland. The bulk of my autosomal dna is Ulster Irish and Scottish, with maybe a tiny sprinkling of Northern English.

One thing I noted was a recurring Asia South that kept showing up in my results. This initially appeared in Ancestry and was removed, it is also on MyHeritage at 1.5%.

I uploaded my AncestryDNA results to Gedmatch K13 and have 2.6% South Asia on there.

Population
North_Atlantic 50.80 Pct
Baltic 22.63 Pct
West_Med 13.37 Pct
West_Asian 8.70 Pct
East_Med 0.16 Pct
Red_Sea 0.40 Pct
South_Asian 2.64 Pct
East_Asian -
Siberian 0.28 Pct
Amerindian 0.23 Pct
Oceanian 0.78 Pct
Northeast_African -
Sub-Saharan -

https://i.imgur.com/Mo2GPZB.jpg

I have been trying to find out how on earth I could have Indian dna and the suggestion was Romanini people??

How could I confirm if this was the case, as this would likely to have been an affair if it had’ve ever occurred, so it wouldn’t be documented?  Is there anything I need to look for in my dna results?

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How could I confirm if I have travelling ancestry?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 August 20 03:03 BST (UK) »
Do you remember what the percentage was on Ancestry before it was removed?

I was always led to believe that percentages as low as 1.5% are often just “noise” and unlikely to be relevant. Though I think some people have had success finding contacts with quite low estimates, I am unsure if they were as low as 1.5%.

The ethnicity percentages do change as more people take DNA tests, so they are generally to be taken as guesstimates, and as you have noticed, the percentages can vary between companies, as do their ethnic regions.

I think a lot of us have these small surprising and untraceable percentages.

I think that looking for Romani ancestors is unlikely to lead to success, but see what other feedback and suggestions you get from others.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 August 20 03:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Owenc

When you ran your results on the Gedmatch K13 model did you notice this at the top of the results page

This utility uses the Eurogenes K13 model (rev 21 Nov 2013), created by Davidski (Polako). Questions and comments about this model
should be directed to him at his Project Blog.

My suggestion would be to try and contact that creator although from my recollection i believe the advice is not to take the low percentage results too literally - it may be mentioned somewhere on Gedmatch.

Good luck.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 August 20 13:58 BST (UK) »
Do you remember what the percentage was on Ancestry before it was removed?

I was always led to believe that percentages as low as 1.5% are often just “noise” and unlikely to be relevant. Though I think some people have had success finding contacts with quite low estimates, I am unsure if they were as low as 1.5%.

The ethnicity percentages do change as more people take DNA tests, so they are generally to be taken as guesstimates, and as you have noticed, the percentages can vary between companies, as do their ethnic regions.

I think a lot of us have these small surprising and untraceable percentages.

I think that looking for Romani ancestors is unlikely to lead to success, but see what other feedback and suggestions you get from others.

I’m not looking for Romany ancestors. I am trying to see how I can explain or understand this Asia South percentage.