Author Topic: Baptism & Marriage for Zachariah Seaverne/Sivorn before say 1630. W'hmptn & area  (Read 278 times)

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Zachariah SEAVERNE  (variation of SIVORN and other spellings - I have even seen it transcribed starting with a G)  was baptised at St Peter's Wolverhampton 9 May 1658, the son of Zachariah.

There are other baptisms to Zachariah  (no wife named of course  :-\)

Mary 1649
Ann 151
Elizabeth 1655
Elinor 1662

Some on-line trees say Zachariah senior is the son of Humphrey SIVORN who was a Tanner in Wolverhampton

I can see why they might assume this as he appears in the PRs around the right period.

eg a son Thomas baptised 20 Feb 1624,
Humfrey son of Humfrey was buried 7 May 1625

and there is some sort of Bond for Humfrey Severne of Wolverhampton 1628 at Staffordshire archives.

However, I do not see a baptism  for Zachariah senior.  If Mary is his eldest child, then 1649-say 20-30 = Looking for a baptism 1619-1629

There is a PCC will for a Humfrey Seaverne of Birmingham in March 1661 which leaves all to a woman named Elizabeth TAYLOR, with no indication she is his daughter or mention of any other children or grandchildren. So if that is Humfrey of Wolverhampton, it seems unlikely Zachariah is his son, as he still has Elinor baptised in 1662.  so still alive, and if not, then at least one grandchild, (Z junior is).

So...
Can anyone see a baptism for Zachariah senior before say 1630.

Also
Online Trees have a wife Susannah - no surname.  or Johanna Clark. no hint as to where that information comes from.

I cannot help thinking the Susannah comes from Susannah Honeyman who was the second wife of Zachariah junior and married in 1697.

but whatever the case, I have not found a marriage for which ought to be prior to 1649.

Thank you

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism & Marriage for Zachariah Seaverne/Sivorn before say 1630. W'hmptn & area
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 August 20 11:04 BST (UK) »
I note the name originates from people who lived and worked along the river Severn.

Sadly I cannot find the records you want, I have posted what I did find but you have probably seen them.

1625 is the earliest record for the name on http://www.wolverhamptonhistory.org.uk/resources/indexes

Wolverhampton St. Peter’s: Baptisms 1538-1812

SEVERNE Thomas son of Humphrey of this towne - tanner 20 Feb 1625

SEVERNE Mary daughter of Zachary 2 Aug 1649
SEVERNE Anne daughter of Zacharias 14 Aug 1651
SEVERNE Elizabeth daughter of Susannah bapt. 14th Jul 25 Jun 1655
SEVERNE Zachariah son of Zachariah Apr 1658

There are a number of records in Wolverhampton on Freereg 1602 - 1669

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism & Marriage for Zachariah Seaverne/Sivorn before say 1630. W'hmptn & area
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 August 20 11:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you for looking Colin.

Yes, I have those entries.  I have found this in the Staffordshire archives catalogue which looks interesting.

Parties:
1. Thomas Fowke of Featherstone, gent
2. Richard Blyth
Fowke releases any claim to lands surrendered by Zachary Severne and his wife at the court baron for the manor of Cannock, being Rayle Flatt lately enclosed out of the common field called Calves Hill Field in Cannock. Fowke has sold the land to Richard Blyth.

Another entry re the same says the wife is Ann. 

However it doesn’t help with his parents. It’s frustrating because if I can link into the family in Birmingham I can go back several more generations., and they have wills which make it so much more interesting.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 August 20 04:34 BST (UK) »
I have found an indexed baptism entry on FindMyPast

A.Rias  S.Ve.E  father Francys S.Ve.E   23 October 1613

and on Family Search at St Peter, Wolverhampton

Azarias Syvenne  father Francys

Found the image. What do you think?

I have got out the big bible with the concordance and "Scripture of Proper Names"

Azariah, whom Jehovah aids.
Zachariah, whom Jehovah remembers.